Backspacing question

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
What is the backspacing for our cars? I have an opportunity to get some 15x10 drag wheels with a 4.5 backspacing. They gonna fit?

Thanks,

John

Almo

Established Member
I would not recommend going with a 4.5 back spaced wheel... you need least a 5.5 in my opinion.

15X8 (5.5) with a 26X10 inch slick almost sits flush with the fenderwell.
15X10 and you will need 6 at least... 6.5 is the better fit.

Cheers,
Allen

Almo

Established Member
15X8s with 5.5 back spacing with a 26X10 MT full slick.
mir1.gif

Two pictures below 15X10 with 6.5 back spacing with a 325/50-15 MT drag radial.
sonic3.gif

street.jpg

15X10 with 6.5 back spacing with a 28X11.5-15 MT full slick.
cowl.jpg

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
Almo said:
Yes, you could go that route. Just remember to tighten your lug nuts periodically.

Thanks! Next... a pair of slicks:-D

and by the way... your car looks pretty damn sick:rockon:

Last edited:

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
jbp99cobra said:
what about with a spacer? Would that help at all?

NO!

With a 15x10 rim w/ a 4.5" BS, the tire will stick out past the fender 2" more then the pics Allen posted of his car with 15x10 rims w/ a 6.5" BS. A spacer will only cause the wheel to stick out more. Remember your backspace is the distance from the inner lip of the rim to the inside of the hub. The more BS you have, the farther your tire will sit inside the fenders.

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
uh oh, john's getting serious...hahaha.

hows the car running? nice safe tune in there I hope.

:-D Car is running great, with the exception of a bad idler pulley. Already have the replacement and just gotta throw it on. Also found a minor oil leak (the connection for the oil pressure gauge), but no big deal... easy fix. Tune is very safe and only sees 5lbs of boost. A smaller blower pulley is in the near future as well. Nothing too crazy though. Maybe up it to 8 or 9lbs and a little more timing.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

jbp99cobra said:
:-D Car is running great, with the exception of a bad idler pulley. Already have the replacement and just gotta throw it on. Also found a minor oil leak (the connection for the oil pressure gauge), but no big deal... easy fix. Tune is very safe and only sees 5lbs of boost. A smaller blower pulley is in the near future as well. Nothing too crazy though. Maybe up it to 8 or 9lbs and a little more timing.

freaking awesome man. very glad you are happy.

BTW, can I say I told you so about the oil pressure gauge..hahaha.

please just invest in an electric. I haven't forgotten about you, hope to have a cowl piece for you to pick up soon.

01Lowboy

SPTZCLNT
Established Member
jbp99cobra said:

Glad to hear your happy with it john.:thumbsup:

Almo

Established Member
Hissssnsvt said:
NO!

With a 15x10 rim w/ a 4.5" BS, the tire will stick out past the fender 2" more then the pics Allen posted of his car with 15x10 rims w/ a 6.5" BS. A spacer will only cause the wheel to stick out more. Remember your backspace is the distance from the inner lip of the rim to the inside of the hub. The more BS you have, the farther your tire will sit inside the fenders.

Thanks Ken! I was thinking more along the lines of 1/4 spacer with a 15X8 wheel pending what tire he would go with. I had stated min 5.5 back space and Jon, if you were still thinking 4.5 then no... again, I wouldn't bother. 5.5 min as stated above and that is a 15X8 wheel. 15X10 and you will need a least 6 and you will be limited on true 10.5 tire or the sidewall will also stick out a bit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread