back from the dyno... *heavy sigh*

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
went down to san diego this morning to see what my car would do on the dyno w/ just a mac c/b and cai. i felt pretty optimistic as the car felt pretty good yesterday but as you'll find out below, maybe i should've just stayed in bed. :nonono:

a little background - i had been experimenting w/ the position and tube length of my kb cai. i first was disappointed that i didn't regain any boost after the c/b install, then i had stalling/hesitation/idle problems, then it finally looked good for a couple days in a row. anyway...

my first tip was the car almost stalling at the second stop sign i get to. it drops to 200 then comes back and idles fine again. after about 60 miles of the 90+ mile trip to the dyno, i start feeling a little hesitation going downhill w/ minimal throttle. it goes away after about 5 seconds. then i get ready to pull into the dyno parking lot. it stalls. after checking in i pop the hood and see if anything moved or got dislodged on the way down. things look fine and the idle seems ok again. :shrug:

things are moving pretty quick at the shop and i get maybe a 15 minute break before my car gets strapped in. 2 back to back runs; maybe 30 sec in between and here are the results:

dyno_20030621.jpg

very ugly. a/f drops below 10 at 3800rpm and never recovers. things pretty much go downhill after 4000rpm.

whenever this pounding headache goes away i'm going to check the plugs and maybe try a couple things w/ the maf.

ps - thanks dean and dynoshop.com! hopefully things will be better next time.

SolidSnake

Unleashing Hell
Established Member
Wow, I think the only car that actually produced numbers with the KB CAI is the one in the MM&FF from a few months ago. Who knows what else they did to the car to make the numbers go up. It's not unheard of for that magazine to not say EXACTLY what they did to the car to make the numbers. They are not always truthful.....

sorry for the low numbers

kpinco

Established Member
FuShnickens: Sorry to hear about your experience. Mess with your filter and let us know what happens with your boost.

I think you need to visit another dyno shop. They have your numbers backwards!!

Good Luck!

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
Originally posted by SolidSnake
It's not unheard of for that magazine to not say EXACTLY what they did to the car to make the numbers. They are not always truthful.....

maybe they had the magic maf angle protractor or something. i'm still not giving up on it quite yet - going to try putting the screen back on, more adjustments, etc. if it still runs like a dog i'm gonna cram the filter into the bay straight off the maf.

sorry for the low numbers

me too. :cryying: but then i talked w/ kpinco at length re: the way the graphs looked and there's definitely something screwy (besides the car running like a dog). for one, hp looks like it peaks around 3800 and tq at around 5700 (disregarding the jagged waves after 4000 rpm). shouldn't it be the other way around? i dunno. i'll try sorting out the idle problem then dyno again next week.

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
Originally posted by kpinco

I think you need to visit another dyno shop. They have your numbers backwards!!

Good Luck!

thanks bro! i'm probably going to see if i can schedule a few pulls w/ the shop that socal diablo uses next week.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I would put the stock air box in and dyno. swap out the stock box with the kb and redyno. Your A/F is wacked. When you get it fixed you are going to see some nice numbers.

ALA G8R

Banned
I agree with bassin247. Yank the CAI and re-dyno. It looks like the MAF thinks it's seeing more air flow than is really there, hence the rich A/F. I've heard of the 90degree bend CAIs causing a lean condition, but this is the first I've seen causing a rich condition.

You may want to consider one of the straight on variety like PHP, Amazon, or Steeda.

Good Luck,

pny_xtc

Established Member
Put the screen back in and see how it runs. I work at a Lincoln/Mercury dealership and have seen several cars run oddly with messed up or missing screens. I guess they help smooth out airflow, especially when there are a lot of bends in front of the MAF.

kpinco

Established Member
FuShnickens: Try jsut running it with the 12" filter in the engine bay on your next dyno run. With my stock engine setup, Bassani exhaust and KB CAI I was running 411 HP 390 tq.

I am leaning to clogged cats. Good luck, I'll call tomorrow to give you an update on my CAI mods.

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
yep, i went on ahead and put the filter in the bay. i didn't feel like any more aggravation today. ;-) i'm going to take her on the fwy in a bit to see how she runs. i'll also double check the cats after i get back for any glowing. thanks!

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
ok, just got back. no idle roughness, no hesitation, and hammering it in 3rd gets the boost to the left vertical bar of the right pair on the gauge. even got to play w/ a silver 350z - boy was he surprised. ;-) ahem, anyway... i checked the cats on both sides after running her alternately hard then easy for about 20 minutes and they don't look to be glowing. maybe the intake sucked in a small dog or something.

i do have the sensor at the stock 10 o'clock. if the straight filter doesn't like that i'll try the 12 o'clock position as you and sambandit recommended. so at this stage, it's 12" filter -> adapter w/ screen -> maf. wish i could find a dyno open on sunday. that 330 tq figure's gonna give me nightmares until i can test it again. :)

BOOOOST

Established Member
I say try the stock airbox on another dyno, and then swap over to the KB during the same session and see what happens from there.

There's still a good possibility that your cats are bad.

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
i'm going to do my best to get the extra dyno time for swaps. i may even head over to kb and see if they'd be willing to let me try it at their facility since they're not that far away. i don't really trust the numbers above as the car was definitely having issues to begin with and the 2 curves seem reversed but i'm no mechanic or dyno guru so... once i'm sure the car isn't having problems because of the cai i'll feel better. in the meantime, i'll leave things as is since it seems ok right now.

re: the clogged cats possibility, i'll run the car again tomorrow morning and take a closer look at the coloration before and after. they didn't look burnt out but i'll check again.

thanks guys!

trey193

Established Member
So you did install the big open ended filter off the mass air and the car runs better??:shrug: i am confused?

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
hey there trey. yes, at this point i've got the filter off the mass air. it's a little too early to say if it runs better - i'd like to give it a couple days just to make sure. but so far it seems ok.

BOOOOST

Established Member
That dynograph is not reversed, take another look. It can appear that way at first, but it's not. They just didn't scale it to 5252. Besides, it's impossible to make that software "reverse".

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
Originally posted by BNASPLT
That dynograph is not reversed, take another look. It can appear that way at first, but it's not. They just didn't scale it to 5252. Besides, it's impossible to make that software "reverse".

thanks bnasplt, the scaling thing and having both lines the same color threw me off. it still sucks, but is read better. ;-) so it looks like the hp was still going up when it hit the rev limiter - i think. second opinion coming soon...

Users who are viewing this thread