Back and forth on exhaust

stx.dead.I

Established Member
Got a 2012 mustang gt and cannot decide, I keep bouncing between borla stinger I believe (middle one), the corsa extremes and the Roush mufflers. This will be axle back for now. I want very calm while cruising at interstate speeds nice rumble at idle mean acceleration and deadly at WOT. Which one do y'all suggest? I feel like I've seen hundred YouTube videos on them and still cannot decide lol

Rct851

Established Member
I like my roush axle backs. I think they are a little loud on a stock powered car though. I prefer bite with the bark.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
here is what the gt500 axle back sound like on my car without resonators and no cats.

[youtube_browser]6ActFRaEO54[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

Sinful_5.0

Established Member
here is what the gt500 axle back sound like on my car without resonators and no cats.

[youtube_browser]6ActFRaEO54[/youtube_browser]

Your car rips! I like the sound more with the off-road x and GT500 axlebacks but still sounds a little "blatty." I tried the lethal off-road h with OTA pipes (no resonators) and GT500s and it was super blatty sounding. Have since welded in Dynomax Race Bullets as resonators and went JBA for axlebacks. Definitely smoothed out the "blat" and has a nice deep tone. I'll have to get a vid of my TVS car with this setup.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
yeah the gt500 with off road x are kind of raspy at wot. i think that the off road h sounds better. i have an offroad x on it. i think im just going to leave it the way it is because is just to damn hard to make this motor sound the way i would like it to sound.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
yeah the gt500 with off road x are kind of raspy at wot. i think that the off road h sounds better. i have an offroad x on it. i think im just going to leave it the way it is because is just to damn hard to make this motor sound the way i would like it to sound.

Hey guy you still using the paxton oem bpv, you should try the tial bov it sounds so much better!

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Hey guy you still using the paxton oem bpv, you should try the tial bov it sounds so much better!
yeah i still have the factory one. im sure that the tail will sound better. maybe ill pick one up down the road.

Damn man! Sounds nasty.

Howd u set up an external mic?
thanx. thats my buddys gopro with an external mic that he got. i just let it hang on the rear and on the engine bay.

Dave5.0

Established Member
From someone who went from the Corsa Extreme catback (very raspy) to a Borla S type catback I can easily say BORLA FTMFW. 100% 100X BETTER.

RioRed4v

Established Member
I have the Corsa Extreme, JPC OTA pipes and Lethal X w/ stock cats. Love the way it sounds. Personally dont think it sounds too raspy at all, screams at WOT and is very subtle just cruising around. Plus there is zero drone, which i love.

I've heard they sound pretty obnoxious with a cat-less setup though.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Your car rips! I like the sound more with the off-road x and GT500 axlebacks but still sounds a little "blatty." I tried the lethal off-road h with OTA pipes (no resonators) and GT500s and it was super blatty sounding. Have since welded in Dynomax Race Bullets as resonators and went JBA for axlebacks. Definitely smoothed out the "blat" and has a nice deep tone. I'll have to get a vid of my TVS car with this setup.

I agree with you. My GT500 with no resonators or cats & X pipe sounded awesome with JBA axlebacks. My 2013 GT with no resonators or cats & H pipe sounds too raspy with stock mufflers. I'm assuming GT500 mufflers would sound the same, only louder, so I'm looking to do an aftermarket muffler to clean it up.

Last edited:

MRSUPRA

Established Member
I hated the way my car sounded with the O/R X pipe and GT500 mufflers. I put the stock mufflers back on it now and it sounds a lot smoother.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Can anyone tell me if any of the mufflers listed below will drone at highway speeds. Please note this is setup specific question: Stock exhaust manifolds, Lethal offroad H pipe, Lethal OVA pipes (no resonators). Mufflers that do not drone with cats and resonators may do so without. The stock GT mufflers DO NOT drone without cats and resonators on my car.

Magnaflow Street - GT

Kooks

Stock 2013 GT500

I have narrowed it down to those three choices. If aftermarket 2013+ Gt500 mufflers were not so expensive, I'd have other choices. There is no point in spending 1,000.00 on two mufflers. That's insane, and these aftermarket companies need a reality check.

My theory is, Magnaflow and Kooks will likely have drone with no cats or resonators, since they are both a straight through design. OEM 2013 GT500 mufflers will not, since they are a chambered design. Straight through will flow better at higher HP levels, but I will not tolerate drone.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member
I've heard the kooks in person with off road x and full pipes on back sounds awesome for a single exit muffler.

I went the 2013 gt 500 route and plan to change from the gt 500 mufflers to the magnaflow compeition series with quad 4" tips. This is because I want a full free flow 3" exhaust for the turbos.

MY gt500's definitely do not drone but as for the kooks I'm not sure but I will find out.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
MY gt500's definitely do not drone but as for the kooks I'm not sure but I will find out.

Let me know what you find out.

Troy, I run the Kooks catback with ARH and off road x-pipe. No drone and really not that loud.

Thanks, I was really leaning towards Kooks, was just worried about drone.

Users who are viewing this thread