[b]94-95 Cobras W/ Vortech[/b]

5.0snake

PA Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
The terminators are ridiculous. 5.0 cobras can not run with terminators. Plain and simple. Unless you got some major work done. like a big stroker 331/347 blown....then yea you could run with some terminators. Although if they are stock then thats a different story. All they have to do is slap a smaller pulley, exhaust, jlt intake, and a tune and they will walk us, least the guys with the stock engine and boost, maybe not boosted with n2o, but then your looking into some problems!!

955.ocobra

RUNMY5.0
Established Member
That sounds more believeable. Compared to a damn near 200 horse bolt on with just a vortech. Anybody have a sq in here that can tell me how quiet it actually is, and when do the vortechs actually start making power.?

94CobraPace

Established Member
955.0cobra said:
How are guys getting approximantly 175 horse gain off of a vortech?? Cuz arent our cars usually right about 225 hp bare bones stock. Not calling you guys liars but it just seems awfully high to me I guess. I can see an easy 325 hp to the wheels with about a 100 horse bolt on but not the 400 rwhp. Also if you are getting 400 rwhp shouldnt you guys be handing the ls1s their a**es and then some or maybe even running with the TERMINATORS??????????? Just wondering nobody in this town is running any superchargers at all or even nitrous for that matter. Any of you guys got 1/4 mile times with the chargers????????

Most have had some exhaust work, headers, mid pipe & cat back before the SC. I had 255 rwhp before adding the small Powerdyne & I gained 95 rwhp with just adding the SC to get 350rwhp. With a cobra with no mods at all, stock exhaust, silencer ect, you should gain around 100 hp or so with a vortec. I took mine to the track & ran 13.035 @ 107.17 mph. Exhaust mods are very benificial to the 94\95's & especialy so when adding forced induction.

wldtang

Banned
955.0cobra said:
That sounds more believeable. Compared to a damn near 200 horse bolt on with just a vortech. Anybody have a sq in here that can tell me how quiet it actually is, and when do the vortechs actually start making power.?

The SQ is almost silent. I had a V1 on a few weeks ago and it was loud at idle. I could handle the noise. I traded it for a SQ and I can barely hear it.
My SQ starts making boost around 2500 rpm.

I know it is hard to believe that a cobra with minor mods and vortec will make the power of 400 rwhp. But it is very possible. Check out this link where I wanted to know how many was actually doing it.
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=550189&goto=newpost

As far as handing a terminator its ass? Well I don't know this first hand, but I would believe it to be very possible. Why? Lighter cobra, equal torque because of the torqy 302, top end pull of a sc. Slap on better heads like the TW and a nice cam, that terminatorbetterhave some mods to hang.
I am sure some will not agree, but to each is their own. That is why opinions and like assholes. :shrug:

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
955.0cobra said:
How are guys getting approximantly 175 horse gain off of a vortech?? Cuz arent our cars usually right about 225 hp bare bones stock. Not calling you guys liars but it just seems awfully high to me I guess. I can see an easy 325 hp to the wheels with about a 100 horse bolt on but not the 400 rwhp. Also if you are getting 400 rwhp shouldnt you guys be handing the ls1s their a**es and then some or maybe even running with the TERMINATORS?

I have run 2 Terminators and have outran them on both occassions from about a 60 roll as they both happened on the highway. They both seemed pretty stock except for exhaust and CAI (the s/c whine is louder with the CAI) and springs. Had they been slightly modded with performance accessories, i'm sure the outcome would have been much different. It has been well documented at corral.net. See my first post for just 1 of many examples of a 400 rwhp 94/95 Cobra. The guy i reference also has dyno sheets to back it up. Again, that's just 1 of many.

I personally don't quarter mile the car, nor do i push it very hard. Dyno session will come shortly after which i will display the results. I'm just satisfied in knowing that when i press the gas pedal in 5th it actually feels like i've downshifted to 4th.:coolman:

95cobby

Established Member
JUST WAIT TIL TOMMOROW...... :beer: :p :burnout: :thumbsup: ;-) :D :rolling: :pepper: :rollseyes :rolleyes: :bowdown: :banana: :coolman: :-D :lol1: :) :rockon:

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
I know that a s/c 5.0 will definitly be able to beat a stock or lightly modified terminator. Now to find a lightly modified terminator(no pulley upgrades, s/c ugrades, nos) is another story

955.ocobra

RUNMY5.0
Established Member
So if a guy is to put on an sq, would be worth it to save the extra couple of bucks if you can find a used one. Also how hard are these damn things to tune, I mean come on Im in Bismarck North Dakota and we dont even have a dyno here. I was at a track last summer out of town and there was a guy with a portable dyno that was there and he said it wasnt real accurate but would kinda give you a clue what your sittin at and I only put 200 to the wheels but he said that since I had a hypertech in at the time it kills these things out bad at 100mph but they help a lil bit for the damn street light to street light playin with the Hondas. So he said I should be settin right around 225 to 230 once I pulled the chip and had it dynoed on a real dyno. But back to my point how the hell can I tune it????????????

igotyofire

Established Member
955.0cobra said:
So if a guy is to put on an sq, would be worth it to save the extra couple of bucks if you can find a used one. Also how hard are these damn things to tune, I mean come on Im in Bismarck North Dakota and we dont even have a dyno here. I was at a track last summer out of town and there was a guy with a portable dyno that was there and he said it wasnt real accurate but would kinda give you a clue what your sittin at and I only put 200 to the wheels but he said that since I had a hypertech in at the time it kills these things out bad at 100mph but they help a lil bit for the damn street light to street light playin with the Hondas. So he said I should be settin right around 225 to 230 once I pulled the chip and had it dynoed on a real dyno. But back to my point how the hell can I tune it????????????

Run an FMU setup if not able too

whitelightning9

Established Member
95cobby said:
JUST WAIT TIL TOMMOROW...... :beer: :p :burnout: :thumbsup: ;-) :D :rolling: :pepper: :rollseyes :rolleyes: :bowdown: :banana: :coolman: :-D :lol1: :) :rockon:
No updates???? Come on give us the goods, What kind of numbers did you get??

94CobraPace

Established Member
The bottom end on 94\95's are good for less than 10 psi boost, we have hypertech pistons with cast rods & crank. Course even at 10 psi, if you get detonation you will melt spark plugs & possible piston or break a piston land.
On the 94\95's, if you run a FMU & set you timing to less than 10 degrees, have a good fuel pump you should be alright till you get it checked at a dyno. Or get a wide band O2 & verify your air fuel ratio to make sure it is good, less than 12 but more than 10. If you ever hear detonation, back out of it, then pull a little timing.

95cobby

Established Member
whitelightning9 said:
No updates???? Come on give us the goods, What kind of numbers did you get??

Yes I got the car Dyno tuned on Tuesday! I'll make another post on it very soon!

Users who are viewing this thread