[b]94-95 Cobras W/ Vortech[/b]

955.ocobra

RUNMY5.0
Established Member
Alright guys who in here has a stock and I mean stock 94-95 Cobra with a votech? I would like to see some numbers and what you guys think of them, myself I like the idea of a blowzilla or a procharger but they are so damn expensive and im hopin with a vortech I should be able to shut the damn LS1 guys up for good. Even with you guys with the modded ones lets see some numbers please.... :beer:

94CobraPace

Established Member
Not a Vortec, but I have a Powerdyne (9 lb pulley) that put 345 rwhp showing only 5 psi on the dyno. Only mods is FRPP headers, Bassani X with cats, flowmaster catback, FRPP extender & 3.73 gears. Went 13.0 @ 107 in the 1/4, should be better if driven harder.
A Vortec has more cfm than the Powerdyne & should be able to get right at 400 rwhp with no problems. That should be able to shut the stock LS1 guys up, but the modded ones will still give you problems.

Lee

Established Member
Hello 94CobraPac! Have you had any problems with the Powedyne? They seem easy to install and are low maintenance.

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
94/95 Stock Cobras with a Vortech ONLY AND a good tune will yield approximately 400 rwhp. This has been documented by several people on Corral. HP Louis is one person off the top of my head that had a 95 Cobra Vert putting down 400 rwhp and 415 tq. with only an S-trim on a stock motor.

Last edited:

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
94 stock save for a crane 2030 cam,73cl,msn billet dist,30pd inj. and a 6pd powerdyne and basic bolt ons. getting right at 354 now i need a tune i guess. best i got before was 369. no problem with it at all.

p.s not trying to hijack the thread.

Last edited:

95cobby

Established Member
Called Livernois yesterday and all the 'Tune' guys had left. Calling again this morning to make an apt. I have a S-Trim and it's going to be tuned very soon. My car is not stock besides that but I will let you know the numbers anyways when I get them. Will be over 400rwhp.

igotyofire

Established Member
really i thought our cars would make more around 330-340whp on stock 5.0 cobras and i thought the GT's were like around 300whp. I know the stock 4.6 96-2001 cobras make 400whp and those flow way better then our GT40/cobra intake combo. ive seen combos with aluminem heads on 5.0 making around 450whp on other forums such as corral and stangnet

955.ocobra

RUNMY5.0
Established Member
So which Vortech would you guys reccomend???? And what the hell do the numbers and letters mean. Im Vortech illeterate buy i know my K.B..

igotyofire

Established Member
955.0cobra said:
So which Vortech would you guys reccomend???? And what the hell do the numbers and letters mean. Im Vortech illeterate buy i know my K.B..

go to vortechs website and read about their superchargers, SQ = superquiet so its not as noisey as ur typcal centrifugal, but i say just go with an S trim and be done with it.....most people use S trims on street setups, but if you need more power then step up to the T trim all depends on your setup and how much power u want to make and how much boost u plan to run

955.ocobra

RUNMY5.0
Established Member
If a guy is gonna pay that much for a vortech wouldnt it be more cost effective to just go with a K.B. or the Procharger??????????? Just wodnering.

igotyofire

Established Member
955.0cobra said:
If a guy is gonna pay that much for a vortech wouldnt it be more cost effective to just go with a K.B. or the Procharger??????????? Just wodnering.

i dont get what your asking but dont look at the prices on vortech website, a kit for your car can be had for around 2400-2500shipped i belived from superchargers4less and superchargers4cheap (cant remember other website) also AFM -anderson ford motorsports i belive has a upgraded kit for 2900, but basically ur going to be looking at a S trim to go on your stock motor .

94CobraPace

Established Member
Lee said:
Hello 94CobraPac! Have you had any problems with the Powedyne? They seem easy to install and are low maintenance.

No problems with the Powedyne. I bought it used back in November 04. Installation was pretty easy & straight forward. There has been no maintinance on it & all is working good.
I got the Powerdyne not for the highest HP, but for the ease of instalation & the Ohh factor of just having one. I know the limitations of the Powerdyne & I will not go over them, over spinning it. They seem easy to rebuild & the rebuild kits are only $120.

MARK C

Established Member
I'm not stock...but you can see in sig. what kind of #'s I put down with the Procharger. The kit came with a real nice intercooler...one of the main reasons I went with Procharger. The Vortechs don't come with any.
I was @ 280rwhp and 315rwtq before the Charger....as you can see I gained a hole lot of power. I see about 7 psi on the boost gauge. You being stk will see 9 or even 10.

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
Mark, from the looks of the items in your sig, i'm amazed you're only at 410rwhp. Has you car been dyno-tuned or was it just put on a dyno to obtain a baseline after the supercharger install? The AFR 165's i assume would yield a higher peak rwhp number so that's what got me a little confused. There are alot of stock Cobras with an S-trim make right about 400 rwhp without the addition of the AFR heads.

MARK C

Established Member
It was dyno tuned. I did a REAL safe tune..My tuner buddy that owns the shop, told me he could have gotten at least 20 more horse with some more timming. But I wanted to drive it for a while to see it was with 410 horse. All and all VERY happy with the Procharger! And tons of room for more HP with a smaller pully and a new tune.

955.ocobra

RUNMY5.0
Established Member
How are guys getting approximantly 175 horse gain off of a vortech?? Cuz arent our cars usually right about 225 hp bare bones stock. Not calling you guys liars but it just seems awfully high to me I guess. I can see an easy 325 hp to the wheels with about a 100 horse bolt on but not the 400 rwhp. Also if you are getting 400 rwhp shouldnt you guys be handing the ls1s their a**es and then some or maybe even running with the TERMINATORS??????????? Just wondering nobody in this town is running any superchargers at all or even nitrous for that matter. Any of you guys got 1/4 mile times with the chargers????????

igotyofire

Established Member
955.0cobra said:
How are guys getting approximantly 175 horse gain off of a vortech?? Cuz arent our cars usually right about 225 hp bare bones stock. Not calling you guys liars but it just seems awfully high to me I guess. I can see an easy 325 hp to the wheels with about a 100 horse bolt on but not the 400 rwhp. Also if you are getting 400 rwhp shouldnt you guys be handing the ls1s their a**es and then some or maybe even running with the TERMINATORS??????????? Just wondering nobody in this town is running any superchargers at all or even nitrous for that matter. Any of you guys got 1/4 mile times with the chargers????????

lol i cant speak for them but i can tell u that 400whp is enough to take out stock terminators and ls1's with no problem, 400whp seems a bit high, but on a cobra i estimate around 330whp, then once u start freein up the exhaust(headers,offroad pipe), MAF, T/B im sure it gets up there quick on a forced induction type car

Users who are viewing this thread