AZ emissions tamper fail

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Car failed emission test with no changes from last test 2 yrs ago. Note says 'vehicle has received tamper fail status from ODB....vehicle needs to be evaluated at waiver station'
I can read VIN with my handheld, and there are no DTCs so the ODB port is working.

Anyone have experience with this? Did testing get more sophisticated or just comm error?

Last edited:

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
The tech couldn't quite fit into the driver seat to get it started. after squeezing one leg in for the clutch he started and let the clutch out with it in reverse. Luckily he didn't rip the door off... Not sure who had higher blood pressure.

From what I can find it may be failed readiness. My tune was present this and last test, passed last time. So I am guessing they added more readiness checks at some point.

From web:
Sept 2014
In addition, there are eight other “noncontinuous” monitors for catalytic converter, EGR system, evaporative emissions system, oxygen sensor system, oxygen sensor heater system, secondary air injection, air conditioning system and heated catalyst. Some of these monitors may be absent if the vehicle is not equipped with certain systems.

So it seems a modded car won't get thru inspection any more.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I bet your rear O2's are turned off. If they are a lot of things won't set. I'm pretty sure the EGR won't set if they're turned off. I left mine on this last time and haven't thrown a code yet.

Jefe

Established Member
Is this just the plug-in inspection? Have you unhooked the battery or cleared codes lately?

Do you have an OBDII dongle and the Torque or Rev app on your phone? Plug that into your car and see what the app shows. It will give you all the parameters they want to see as "Ready"

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Is this just the plug-in inspection? Have you unhooked the battery or cleared codes lately?

Do you have an OBDII dongle and the Torque or Rev app on your phone? Plug that into your car and see what the app shows. It will give you all the parameters they want to see as "Ready"
Yes, just plug in. Although this time the computer prompted the tech to increase/decrease rpm, and the value was shown on the screen. so Comm was working.
I will query with torque and see what I get. thanks for info.

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Looks like all non continuous readiness monitors were tuned off. I installed stock H and tune but left JTL intake, seems to drive fine (no boost). All but catalytic are ready after 12 mile drive. No fault codes.

Jefe

Established Member
Almost all of them need to show as ready before you go back. Which ones aren't?

03Steve

Established Member
Most likely, the OBDII test switch has been manipulated in the PCM. Looks like AZ is using a similar testing criteria to what we have here in STL and what other urban areas around the country are adopting.

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Almost all of them need to show as ready before you go back. Which ones aren't?

Catalytic. I have 2, 12 mile drive cycles. How far/how many cycles does it take? Diving with out getting into boost is like having your nuts cut off.

Screenshot_20160701-085755_zpsvmx7yxnt.png

Some kind of funny water looking stuff fell out of sky last night so it sits a home today.

03Steve

Established Member
Disregard my last post based open the image above. Your OBDII Test Switch is set to stock using the stock tune. I missed that.

Normally the EVAP sets last. Do you have the rear O2 sensors in place?

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Disregard my last post based open the image above. Your OBDII Test Switch is set to stock using the stock tune. I missed that.

Normally the EVAP sets last. Do you have the rear O2 sensors in place?
Yes rear O2s are now installed in the factory H pipe (33k miles on it) no DTCs so I assume they are OK. Torque can read O2 voltage so I can try to monitor all 4. thanks

Jefe

Established Member
If the rest are ready catalyst should be as well. You might install some MILs but maybe another 10-15 minute drive would do it. If not, unhook the battery for a few minutes and then go drive around at 40mph for 10 minutes. Should clear it up

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Still can't get catalyst to be 'complete'. I cleared and drove another 50 miles of mixed conditions. No error codes. I can read all 4 02 voltages. Not sure what else to try.

Looks like one could be incomplete and still pass. Guess I will give it a shot.

Last edited:

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Was able to get through emission with catalyst incomplete. Referee looked for cats but didn't pop hood. I put stock intake and pulley cover on just in case. Was able to just add a small piece of metal to bolt guard to idler bracket.
20160720_181421_zpsvkscwgbh.jpg

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Congrats, that is always a relief to pass. I am surprised they're that thorough in AZ, I always thought they were much more lax than here in CA.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
Congrats, that is always a relief to pass. I am surprised they're that thorough in AZ, I always thought they were much more lax than here in CA.
It seams that every where that has emissions is getting more and more thorough. Glade that I don't have to do emissions here.

jedeyeben

Established Member
Rattle, I just stumbled on this and remembered asking about it on GJ... I mean Damn, they really are invasive on those inspections down there... I guess I've just never paid attention too how much they police on those, being that my state hasn't had inspections since the 70s. Makes it a pain I'm sure. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread