AXLEBACKS ford racing vs gt500

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member
i have my quads opened but want a little more grunt. i had the gt500 AB on my 2011 and loved them with the lethal catless H, but plan on keeping cats on this car and its still a little to quiet. would you guys pick the ford racing axlebacks (made by borla) or the gt500 kit. there is like a 300 dollar price diff between the 2

svt1111

Established Member
I'm curious too as I have a set of GT500 AB's sitting in my basement from my 2011 GT as well.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
I have the GT500 mufflers and like the deeper sound without being too loud. They are a nice improvement over the stock but you will get less sound out of the side pipes as you reduce back pressure. I'm using 7/8 discs in mine.

Last edited:

svt1111

Established Member
I have the GT500 mufflers and like the deeper sound without being too loud. They are a nice improvement over the stock but you will get less sound out of the side pipes as you reduce back pressure. I'm using 7/8 discs in mine.

That's a good point. I run with no baffles, and it is far from obnoxious, but I could live with a little less side pipe sound and don't want baffles, so the GT500's might be the perfect balance for me.

As far as tuning the sound of our cars, I recently removed the little foam piece that muffles the intake sound in the sound tube on the inside of the firewall, made a real nice improvement in intake sound level. Again, not too loud, but compliments the muscle car sound really cool. Highly recommend it :rockon:

Last edited:

KBBoss302

Established Member
I am thinking about the exact same options (GT500 vs Borla/FR) with the Flowmaster Hushpowers thrown in. My car isn't my daily driver but I still don't want to upset neighbors or the local constabulary too much, I just want a little more noise (I already have the side pipes open).

Questions:
1) anyone know the weight of the GT500s, Borla/FRs, and the Hushpowers? I've seen conflicting info on different forums about the GT500s - some people have claimed they weigh the same as OEM while I've also seen someone claim about "10 lbs less" per muffler.

2) Do the GT500s actually flow better than the OEM Boss mufflers or is it simply a different internal construction that makes them louder?

3) Dyno charts - anyone have them for a Boss with just an axleback swap?

Thank you!

5 DOT 0

Established Member
I weighed the GT500's and they are either two pounds lighter each for a total of 4 pounds or four pounds each. I think it's four pounds each lighter. They have a different internal construction with less material (obviously) and do flow better. I was told by someone in the know that you'll get 2-4 more HP by reducing the back pressure on the Boss but no more. If you throw a SC on you'll have more of a gain with less back pressure.

I think the Corsa Extremes are a good option for low back pressure, light weight, and good sound with an increase in db. I've heard one of the Borla's systems on a 5.0 and as soon as the guy started the car I knew then and there that it was too loud for my taste. It did sound very nice though.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Did you drill out the baffles or just buy different sets until you found ones you like?
I purchased the discs since they are inexpensive. I have stock, 1/2, 3/4, and 7/8. I've never tried the 3/4 but a Boss owner local to me has them with GT500 mufflers. Mine is a bit louder and sounds a touch meaner when revved. :coolman: I had 1/2 installed before I picked up my car. Scott, the guy that sells them, says the 3/4 is the most popular and I recommend starting there. Each size does have a different sound to it and the larger you get the more jake brake sound you have. Ford did a great job of giving us an exhaust that is easily modified to match personal preference. :thumbsup:

KBBoss302

Established Member
Hey thank you for the info 5 DOT 0! I am definitely leaning towards the GT500 mufflers now. Any other opinions/info out there?

Grant808

Established Member
I have the GT500s on my GT, and that's the way I'll go if I change them on the Boss. I have the 3/4" discs, and don't want more sidepipe sound, but it definitely could use more out back.

KBBoss302

Established Member
I went ahead and ordered the GT500 axlebacks. I will report back once I get them installed. Thank you guys for your help!

I do have a question - if you guys aren't running your side pipes fully open, why would you want more noise from your rear mufflers? I initially ran 7/8" discs and loved it, but once I removed the restrictors I loved it even more because it wasn't that much louder and actually had a slightly nicer, deeper sound. I'm just curious as to your reasoning.

John

5 DOT 0

Established Member
It's more a tuning of the sound you like/want. The GT500 (and other) mufflers have a much deeper sound than the stock mufflers. Combine that with side exhaust discs to your liking and you'll be set. The more you open up the sides the more jake brake sound you get. Opening up the backs nets more sound there and a less on the side exhaust. It's all personal preference.

KBBoss302

Established Member
Very interesting! I enjoy the fully open sidepipes and am really interested in noting the sound difference with the GT500 mufflers.

KBBoss302

Established Member
I installed my GT500 axlebacks today. A little fiddly to do by myself but not too bad. The sound is superb, a beautiful deep burble at idle and then an even nicer sound as you hammer on it. I have the side pipes fully open and the noise isn't too different than before, but it definitely has a deeper tone and maybe just a fraction more noise in the cockpit. No drone at all that I could discern, even consciously lugging the motor in the 1500-2000rpm range (which I don't normally do) with the windows up.

Unfortunately I have no video or sound recording equipment so I can't help but I cannot imagine anyone not being happy with the GT500 mufflers. Cheap, stainless steel, OEM quality, and a wonderful deep tone.

chuckstang

Established Member
Just added GT500 muffs to mine although not a boss, it sounds like one now haha.

The noise is interesting. It is very deep off idle with a nice burble on decel but as the rpms climb, the exhaust note does not get over bearing, just sort of adds to the already nice engine note.

Very pleased and no drone.

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member
I just added the gt500 ab with side pipes open all the way. Very pleased. And with track key it sounds mean as fck. Happy so far

Grant808

Established Member
Dang you guys are making me want to do this sooner than later. When I drive the cars back to back, I know I want it done! I might even get Boss sidepipes for the GT...

Users who are viewing this thread