Axle bearings question

32V10TH

Stroked
Established Member
I have this weird grinding noise coming from my rear end so i had the car looked at by strictly performance. The car is lowered and had some camber issues which is the initial reason I took the car in. I had some mm cc plates put on and had them diagnose the grinding noise as well. They say it sounds like the axle bearings are bad...anyone ever replaced these or know how I should go about it? Suspension isnt exactly my strong point and Im trying to pick up what I can on it asap. I found the bearings through tousley for about 22 bucks a pop, What do you guys think? Is labor a pain in the ass? I obviously need this fixed the best way without breaking me too bad...school me

32V10TH

Stroked
Established Member
This video looks to be all me lol [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1CqCFJVKNU"]YouTube - Cobra IRS Hub and Bearing RR[/nomedia]

Tims97SVT

Established Member
I would double check on the price of the bearings. 22 bones sounds more like sra bearings not irs bearings. Two very diff bearings.

32V10TH

Stroked
Established Member
When I go through them it just says 99-04 with independent...it doesnt say independent rear suspension. Im just assuming thats what it means. 33 bucks oem 27 through tousley

Last edited:

32V10TH

Stroked
Established Member
It doesnt show one on the website and when I try to post a direct link, it just take u to the home page. I just put in 2003 mustang on the dropdown, then universals and rear axle, then axle bearings and there it is.

Axle bearings, mustang - w/independent susp - W/INDEPENDENT SUSP 99-04 $22.79

Tousley Ford

Thanks alot man...see what you can do for me i really appreciate it

Tims97SVT

Established Member
I dont think this is the right piece. I'll let him chime in but i'll bet it isnt...I think im learning here mike lol

Hey all I said was double check. Nothing wrong with that is it? You don't want to buy the wrong parts and then have to order the correct parts and send the others back and all that bs. All I said is the price did not seam right for the bearing. It's a good size bearing and they are listed a lot more then that at ford or almost any auto parts store. As long as it's a timken when you get it rock on.

hotcobra03

Established Member
bearing

I have this weird grinding noise coming from my rear end so i had the car looked at by strictly performance. The car is lowered and had some camber issues which is the initial reason I took the car in. I had some mm cc plates put on and had them diagnose the grinding noise as well. They say it sounds like the axle bearings are bad...anyone ever replaced these or know how I should go about it? Suspension isnt exactly my strong point and Im trying to pick up what I can on it asap. I found the bearings through tousley for about 22 bucks a pop, What do you guys think? Is labor a pain in the ass? I obviously need this fixed the best way without breaking me too bad...school me

doing this job yourself will depend on your skills...removing the knuckle is easy... than changing the bearing would require special tools..

you can bring your knuckles to a shop to have bearing changed,,saving you money

i just did 1 on my car...i went and got tools from harbor frieght..around 150 bucks,,press and pullers

use steves section to confirm bearing price...they reply back in mins..they add shipping also to cost

i think the warehouse for ford racing is in houston..call local dealer ask for ford racing bearing m-1215a

32V10TH

Stroked
Established Member
Hey all I said was double check. Nothing wrong with that is it? You don't want to buy the wrong parts and then have to order the correct parts and send the others back and all that bs. All I said is the price did not seam right for the bearing. It's a good size bearing and they are listed a lot more then that at ford or almost any auto parts store. As long as it's a timken when you get it rock on.

I think you misunderstood me, I wasn't in any way saying ANYTHING directed towards you bro. I didn't even quote you... I was telling my friend mike I think he had the wrong piece in mind. It's all good bro, thanks for your help

32V10TH

Stroked
Established Member
doing this job yourself will depend on your skills...removing the knuckle is easy... than changing the bearing would require special tools..

you can bring your knuckles to a shop to have bearing changed,,saving you money

i just did 1 on my car...i went and got tools from harbor frieght..around 150 bucks,,press and pullers

use steves section to confirm bearing price...they reply back in mins..they add shipping also to cost

i think the warehouse for ford racing is in houston..call local dealer ask for ford racing bearing m-1215a

Thanks bro... How much did parts run you?

Tims97SVT

Established Member
I think you misunderstood me, I wasn't in any way saying ANYTHING directed towards you bro. I didn't even quote you... I was telling my friend mike I think he had the wrong piece in mind. It's all good bro, thanks for your help

No biggie brah. Just trying to keep some stuff stright. Cause honestly that price is great..... You don't want to know what I paid. I did not use mine yet so I took them back today:beer:

Slow99x

Established Member
Just did mine on both sides. I called Bruce from fulltiltboogie and he hooked me up with the entire knuckle assembly and I sent him back the cores. My buddy and I did it in has garage and it wasn't too bad but it can be a little time consuming.

32V10TH

Stroked
Established Member
Just did mine on both sides. I called Bruce from fulltiltboogie and he hooked me up with the entire knuckle assembly and I sent him back the cores. My buddy and I did it in has garage and it wasn't too bad but it can be a little time consuming.

How much was the whole assembly if you dont mind? Pm me if need be thanks man

hotcobra03

Established Member
parts

Thanks bro... How much did parts run you?

i got my bearing at napa or autozone...it was around 50 bucks:shrug:eek:nly did 1 side...but atleast i own the tools for next time...

bty did anyone else look at car for your noise?it could be something else

32V10TH

Stroked
Established Member
50 still isn't too bad I guess. No I'm still not entirely sure that's the problem but nobody will know for sure until it's torn apart to see. I'm trying to avoid letting these shops try and screw me...

Users who are viewing this thread