Axle-backs, GT500 vs Borla Touring

01GTB

Established Member
I've wanted to put a GT500 axle back on my car since I got it, but I actually like the rolled tips. I like the way the GT500 sounds. Not obnoxiously loud, but louder than stock. A few months ago I began tossing around the idea of the Borla Touring axle back. It has the large rolled tips and sounds pretty good. But I have heard that it doesn't sound all that great with cat-deletes. I thought about buying the Borla #36 tips and putting them on the GT500s, but I am not sure if the exit is in the same position on the Borla. It looks like the stock tips on the GT500 are kind of offset and I'm don't want to spend $130 to find the Borla tips don't line up right.

I guess my question is, has anyone got the Borla Touring axle back and cat-deletes? Have you heard a Mustang with them?

01GTB

Established Member
You mean put the tips off the stock GT axle back on there? I thought about it. I even bought a spare set of stock GT mufflers for that reason. I do believe the exit on the Borla and GT500 are 4" vs the smaller GT. Not that it won't work, I'd just like to have them fill up the bumper cover cutouts a little more.

stang910

Established Member
I have longtubes, OR-H and both of those axlebacks. They are very similar with the Borla being a little deeper sounding and louder under load. Both axlebacks sound great without cats.

Users who are viewing this thread