Axle back exhaust question.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
I just finished up a bunch of mods on a friends GT500. e bought a 3 inch Magnafkow axle back exhaust.

Can I get the axle back pipes out from under the car on jack stands or will I need a lift?

kozumasbullitt

Established Member
I did mine off my back with the car on the ground (stock height). I have a 50 inch chest so a normal sized person should have no issues. I did end up doing my rear suspension a week later on race ramps and the axle backs would of took 10 minures to install on ramps with the sway bar, panhard bar and panhard brace off.

Last edited:

lsp408

Established Member
Axle back ain't bad. But if you got cat back, you need to jack the back of car up very high and let axle hang down to get room to remove stocker and aftermarket for the over the axle section

Yellow Horse

Established Member
I tried to take mine off several months ago when I made my own x-pipe. My x-pipe is longer than stock because I needed the room to fit my stock cats on the end of my LT's so I could pass emissions. I have a shorter x-pipe I put on the end of my cats. The x-pipe I made is the same length as the other x-pipe with the stock cats. I tried to get the pipes off so I could shorten them. I could not get them off. But, I did not try too hard though. I ended up cutting them off about six inches under the car.

Maybe what you are telling me is if I take off the panhard bar and let the suspension hang I may have the room. I actually have his car sitting on two pairs of 6x6 wood boards with a couple of 2x10's under the tires. I do not like jack stands. I will jack it up and put it on a pair of jack stands and let the axle hang for more room. I am doing a BMR upper control arm adapter and UCA and Steeda lowers. I'd like to do these with the pipes off. If I had to take it to a shop to swap out the pipes then I would have to work around the pipes. Damn it would be great if I can get these suckers off myself. Plus the money the shop charges me would I will have to take off the amount I am charging him to do the long tube headers and axle back and I would hate to give a shop 12% or more of the pain to install the LT's.

Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread