Awful noise out of no where

Frankycheechoo

Established Member
Today I did a pretty hard pull 2-4 no lift shift then cruised into 5/6 and this awful noise started happening not sure if it was the clutch or something from the engine on the passenger side , there was no smell , no check engine light , no smoke and didn’t appear to loose any power . Cruise on the highway for a while with this noise and go off put into first and it went away. Anyone have a idea what this could of been ? I have centerforce clutch no issues at all , tranny is smooth .. View attachment 1759558View attachment 1759558

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Roush6018

Established Member
hey i want to try and guess what happened. you have a cobra and did a 2nd thru 4th pull and then cruising in 6th heard an awful noise. i would lift up the rear of the car and check the rear wheels for looseness. i want to guess your rear wheel bearings are worn out, of they are the wheel will wobble when you shake them. also check your front wheel bearings the same way.

Frankycheechoo

Established Member
hey i want to try and guess what happened. you have a cobra and did a 2nd thru 4th pull and then cruising in 6th heard an awful noise. i would lift up the rear of the car and check the rear wheels for looseness. i want to guess your rear wheel bearings are worn out, of they are the wheel will wobble when you shake them. also check your front wheel bearings the same way.
Hey yea I tried to attach a video of it I guess it won’t let me . But no it wasn’t coming from the wheels guarantee that . It was coming from under the dash closer to the passenger side . The car was driving straight no shaking at all just this swirling noise came on pretty loud . After 20 kms of cruising got off the highway slowed down to first it went away .

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you can data log, that would be a smart thing to do at this point. It's almost a must-have for these cars.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'm thinking transmission,

Bearing maybe.

Being noise stayed until a shift .
Or a shift without a load
You think inside the trans?
Throwout bearings (in my experience anyway) tend to chirp/squeal, but I could be wrong. Maybe the input shaft got tweaked due to the hard shift? Just spitballing...

01yellercobra

Established Member
FWIW, a friend's Cobra started making a random tapping noise. We swore it was coming out of the exhaust. He changed the mufflers and we tightened down all the clamps we could. One day his transmission started...whirring. That's the best way I can describe it. He took it in for a rebuild and a couple bearings and I think 3rd were shot. Now it's all quiet and even the tapping noise went away.

It still shifted fine and the clutch didn't act funny at all.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Yeah "noises" are very difficult to diagnose when you're sitting in the car.

I was driving my 2015 Dodge Challenger and started to hear a tapping noise while driving the car. I would have bet my life it was coming from the front passenger tire area. Something like a rock in the tire and making a tapping sound as it rotated.

I used my jack to lift the car and removed the tire. Checked for rocks in the tire. Then I checked all my suspension and braking components and nothing. Everything was fine.

Took it to a friends shop and put it on the lift. Friend just so happened to look at the driveshaft. The center carrier bearing was shot and making the noise. So, here I am thinking front left and it was in the center of the car LOL.

So, make sure you check everything that rotates. You might think passenger side, but it might not be.....

Frankycheechoo

Established Member
Thanks guys . It’s ran really well tonight no noises , just normal. Didn’t push it too hard . I’ll have it checked out soon when I get some parts on .

Users who are viewing this thread