AWESOME My idler pully blew apart, lost blower and Alt.

04terminator04

Established Member
Has anyone ever delt with this? My Idler pully blew apart...like i mean atleast 2 inches of the pully is gone. Ill post pictures soon.

I was driving down the road heard a nice clunk...not good, but kept driving thinking it was something on the road....later down the road ( i was on the highway) I noticed i had alot of hesitation, then noticed and heard i wasnt making boost...got home popped the hood to find my belt held on by the tensioner and alternator...and saw the massacured pully...time for an upgrade.

:fm: not happy with this over the long weekend...

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
Common thing to happen when you have an upgraded blower pulley and stock idlers. Mine almost blew (had a huge stress crack on it) thank god it didn't fly off on the highway.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
This is why I shake my head when I see pullied/whippled/kb'd terminators that are still running stock idler pullies...Glad I upgraded before something like this happened...
Post some pics of the carnage

deec73

Established Member
Has anyone ever delt with this? My Idler pully blew apart...like i mean atleast 2 inches of the pully is gone. Ill post pictures soon.

I was driving down the road heard a nice clunk...not good, but kept driving thinking it was something on the road....later down the road ( i was on the highway) I noticed i had alot of hesitation, then noticed and heard i wasnt making boost...got home popped the hood to find my belt held on by the tensioner and alternator...and saw the massacured pully...time for an upgrade.

:fm: not happy with this over the long weekend...

Get you some Metco Idlers and you wont have to worry about that ever happening again, :beer:

04terminator04

Established Member
carnage wasnt bad but not great, just the belt and tensioners are needed.

I didnt think by doing a pully it would put so much stress on the idlers...either way im looking at the steeda idler kit for all 3 of them.

04terminator04

Established Member
IMG_06862.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

Not too bad for what has happened...just baffled as to why these break under a little more load...you think they'd take that into consideration

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
Not too bad for what has happened...just baffled as to why these break under a little more load...you think they'd take that into consideration

They built them for "stock" purposes, not for adding aftermarket pulleys/increased blower rpm. It just seems like too much stress for the stockers to take, aftermarket ones will do you right. I've got a mix of Billetflow and Reichard Racing idlers. Time to replace and rock on man!

BOLT330

Established Member
This exact event happened to me a couple months ago. Now I am running billetflow pullies with my KB 2.6!

futureSVT

Established Member
i could understand if the OP had a lower, but with just an upper the speed of the belt/idler pulleys are not changed. Is it just the added pressure of having a super tight belt?

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
i could understand if the OP had a lower, but with just an upper the speed of the belt/idler pulleys are not changed. Is it just the added pressure of having a super tight belt?

This question never gets answered and I wish I knew some tech on the subject.

My thought is: Yes, the increased serpentine tension is the sole source of this "common" idler pulley failure. Belt tensioners automatically adjust the tension, but only to a point. If you notch the tensioner and/or tighten the serpentine system beyond the adjustment range of the tensioner, the radial strength of the stock idlers can be exceeded. The picture above seems to illustrate that the failure was from an extreme side load, cause by serpentine tension.

Last edited:

04terminator04

Established Member
Well good news, im getting Metco 90mm idlers.

And I cant imagine it having so much tension on it because I have a 74" belt and my pully is a 2.800"

Ill post pictures as soon as i get them

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Yes, this is common to those who up the boost and not the idlers. Many threads with your exact situation. Idlers shouldn't take you very long to put on, so your weekend should be fine.

04terminator04

Established Member
yeah im pretty excited, im trying to get to the track on sunday....if my parts are here, just bought brand new tires so im pretty happy right now.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
What tires did you go with? and From where?
Also make sure you have the right belt for the new setup

Users who are viewing this thread