Average life of a engine

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Engines live much longer than the 1960's and 1970's era engines simply because today we use roller cams.

150k is not high mileage with todays engines unless it wasn't taken care of.

the.greg

Established Member
Most engines that have had scheduled maintenance will hold up, but once a vehicle hits 150k many other things can start to need maintenance. Transmissions, suspension, body, rattles,ac, cooling systems, etc seem to start around 100-150k from my experience.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Most engines that have had scheduled maintenance will hold up, but once a vehicle hits 150k many other things can start to need maintenance. Transmissions, suspension, body, rattles,ac, cooling systems, etc seem to start around 100-150k from my experience.

This.

I replaced my bottom end at 153k (partially a stupid moment, partially sick of piston slap it has had since it was new). At 160k now with a fresh motor and the rest of the car is old now and begging for parts.

I would never consider any vehicle over a 100k as being 'low mileage.' A car lack that has excessive wear from bumper to bumper. Most people don't even keep maintenance records and in many cases use inferior motor oils and other lubes without giving much thought to it. I'd need my own compression and leakdown test to even consider a vehicle with that kind of mileage and UOA would be needed too.

truefiveo

Established Member
That Pacifica is going to give him instant Soccer Mom status at school.
Plus, its got plenty of baby making room in the rear, but it is safe looking.

I wouldn't touch a Pacifica with a 10ft pole.
Those things are just as horrible as Sebrings with reliability.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I wouldn't call 150K low millage. Maybe reliable because many cars can still run for quite sometime past that.

I have a 138k on my 2001 Camry and it runs perfectly. I put about 12k on it this year.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
I wouldn't touch a Pacifica with a 10ft pole.
Those things are just as horrible as Sebrings with reliability.

I was just noting it looks safe for a teenager. Might be a little big, but it wont set any speed records, which is good. Although his son might start a band and run groupies out the back though.....

Oh yeah, I'd only consider high miles if only highway or one owner.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Life of an engine should not be compared to the life of the vehicle.

I have a 92 F250 with 285k on a broken odometer and the truck is falling apart around the perfect running engine.

Big trucks literally go a million miles, then rebuild and go another 800k+.

It all entirely depends on the vehicle.

Sapperstang

Established Member
That Pacifica is going to give him instant Soccer Mom status at school.
Plus, its got plenty of baby making room in the rear, but it is safe looking.

He's a kid. Who cares what the vehicle is. I woudl have taken anything when I was a kid.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
150k is not low mileage because the majority of people are car stupid and do not take care of their cars. Most all cars at 150k are burning oil as metal wear and tolerances grow. Unless it is like a 3 year old car with tons of highway mileage the rest of the car will show its age with that many miles. let some other sucker buy the so calles "low mileage" car

agreed.

personally, i wouldnt consider anything over 50k "low mileage". myself. unless its 20 years old or something.

we just sold our 2004 toyota 4runner 2wd for $7k. had 189k freeway miles on it. ran like brand new! sold it to my gf's cousin and he drives it all over the place problem free.

i would never pay $15k for any vehicle with that kind of mileage. for one, you'll have to pay cash or get one of those 25% interest loans lol. maybe if it was a Z06 or something where i could just replace the motor if need be and then its a steal. but with an ordinary car that i plan to DD (let alone my kid) no thanks. id rather downsize to something with waaay less miles. $15k can go a looong way these days if you shop around.

heck, my buddy picked up a cleeeean 99 accord ex with leather and not too much over 100k for $5k. ran great.

He's a kid. Who cares what the vehicle is. I woudl have taken anything when I was a kid.

this. most people i know had beat up POS if they were lucky lol. except for a few spoiled kids i knew.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Check the other thread ''what's worth'' guy is going to sell a mint 500 mile 01 Cobra for 15k

Kid or no kid

Users who are viewing this thread