Average life of a engine

takiotoshi

Established Member
The reason I'm asking this , is because I'm in the process of buying a used car for my kid and when people advertise they think that 150k is a low mileage car, I always though that 40k was a low mileage car but over 150k and some want $15,000 and up.

Trbulnt

Established Member
Unfortunately 150k now-a-days is what most people consider low mileage. In my opinion it all depends on the vehicle, and its history. If the car has been maintained accordingly than I would not worry too much about the mileage. Is this your kids first car? What kind of cars are you looking for?

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Depends on the vehicle, and it's maintanance routine. Modern cars can run for hundreds of thousands of miles without major problems if maintained well.

Again, it depends on the specific vehicle and engine too.

KILRSVT

Established Member
150k by all means is a high mileage engine unless it's diesel . I would say if you are looking for a good reliable car something under 80k is nice . What kind of car are you looking at? I had a Lexus ls400 that I bought with 180k sold it when it had 275k still running but the body was beat up it all comes down to maintenance

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
Depends on how well the car was maintained and serviced--see if they have receipts, see if the drive tires are worn when the other 2 are good, things like this can tell a lot about a car. Good luck.

Kiohtee

Established Member
As someone who generally buys 150+k mileage vehicles, it's not low mileage even if it is less than what's "supposed" to be on it according to the generally accepted yearly average divided by it's year. JMO obviously. With that said however, there's nothing wrong with a 150+k mile car so as long as it's been properly maintained.

I just can't think of anything that I'd pay $15+k for with that kind of miles... Good luck with your search!

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I traded my 190k mile 5.4 3v F150 Crew Cab, for my M3. I had every oil change, and maintance records from day one. It made it really easy to make the trade. The truck ran better then most 100k mile F150s that I have drove. Like said above, it is all going to come down to maintance and records.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I've never bothered with records. Not that it's a bad thing because if they're available by all means take them and look them over, I just don't expect the average person to keep such extensive records.

Basically OP, records are a plus but if they're not available don't automatically walk away. It still has potential to be a very good car.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Low mileage is anything that has less than 12,000 miles per year.

In the industry that is.

Most engines built after the 90s are typically good for at least 200,000 miles.
Obviously maintenance matters.

And certain specific engines are known to be good for significantly more than 200,000 miles. So brand and engine type will matter.

truefiveo

Established Member
Depends on the engine
engines like LTX/LSXs, GM 3.8s, GM 305 engines and 87-93 pushrod 5.0s have been proven to last mechanically for 300k+ miles

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Depends on the engine
engines like LTX/LSXs, GM 3.8s, GM 305 engines and 87-93 pushrod 5.0s have been proven to last mechanically for 300k+ miles

Plus a vast list of Ford overhead cam engines that have timing chains and tensioners.

Timing belt engines can be very long lived but they will need a new belt every 100k or so and if that is skipped...........:nonono: engine gets trashed.

My 04 SVT Focus has about 140k on it and will go about 11-12 thousand miles without having to add any oil, of course by then I just change it.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
150k isn't shit on a Honda even without maintenance.

I haven't changed the oil in 10,000 miles or so in my stock 93 civic with 170k. Runs perfect

96 cobra

Established Member
The main factor is the engine; what car are we talking about OP?...

A chevy vega, 1980's olds diesel, toyota 3.0V6 =/= a 10yr old crown vic or honda b/k series.

ttype69

Established Member
I find that an engine last along time, as long as the cooling and oil system is kept up on i/e no leaks or low fluids ran.. I find now that the engines in my area outlast the body of the cars. i live in cleveland ohio area and the salt and snow destroy these cars. Also i must note that most cars are severly neglected. I find that looking for a good car is a 50/50 deal in buying a car i look for a few thing
must not have a check engine light
must have a good brand tire in good condition
i will not pay over bbv
no clunks is suspension
no accedents or major colisions fender benders ok
trans shift is good
no rust extensive rust on body or undercar
i prefer milige under 100k if over must have the 100k service done (plugs coolant belts also if it has a timingbelt it must be done)
i value a car based more on care and maintnace than bbv

anyways those are just some tips and my opinion

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
150k on a honda that had the timing belt and water pump done @ 100k is basically low milage.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
150k is not low mileage because the majority of people are car stupid and do not take care of their cars. Most all cars at 150k are burning oil as metal wear and tolerances grow. Unless it is like a 3 year old car with tons of highway mileage the rest of the car will show its age with that many miles. let some other sucker buy the so calles "low mileage" car

takiotoshi

Established Member
I been looking at SUV like a endeavor or something similar , I also own a 2012 boss 302 and he want me to let him drive it but I think that a high performance in the hands of a teen is a bad combination . I did check autotrader and Craigslist and the first one cars are overpriced, I found a Pacifica with 49k for about $7000.00 I'll go check it this week , thanks for the help.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
That Pacifica is going to give him instant Soccer Mom status at school.
Plus, its got plenty of baby making room in the rear, but it is safe looking.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread