Aux idler with Whipple?

04 TERMINATOR

Established Member
Is it really a bad thing to run an AUX idler with my Whipple? Ive search and seen that Whipple recommends not to because it can cause damage to the blower. The only reason I ask is because I see a lot of setups with it on here and haven't heard of anyone hurting their blower. I was looking to run one until I came across this.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
My 04 Cobra is stock, but my 11 GT500 has a 2.9 Whipple. I spoke with a rep from Whipple about this and he said the aux idler pulls too hard at an angle not intended and will eventually cause bearing failure in the snout.

mrose75

Established Member
First I've heard of this myself. Interested to hear what the general populace's consensus is on this.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
that's strange..because even whipple sold a tensioner at one point...albeit small and adjustable by sliding (allows easy belt change and multiple pulley sizes without changing belt size). It's been on my car for years with no issues 2.6" upper, 22psi. No bearing failure at all, the build date on this gen2 2.3 is late 2007, runs as strong as ever. I just blasted on the car today :D

IMG_0463.jpg

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Interesting. I'd not heard this one before. I'm not sure I'm buying it... I mean that belt is pulling down on that snout regardless. Not the best pic but you can see my giant idler over here

IMAG1211_resized.jpg

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
It's probably not a factor since Malcolm and MC have had no issue....but one interesting thing I see from the pictures, is the fact the whipple designed tensioner pinches the belt from the opposite side

MalcolmV8

Established Member
It's probably not a factor since Malcolm and MC have had no issue....but one interesting thing I see from the pictures, is the fact the whipple designed tensioner pinches the belt from the opposite side

I rather like that whipple design. So much cleaner and nicer looking. Seems to do the same thing just from the opposite site.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
BTW loving the look of those black valve covers with the whipple. I need to pull mine here soon and get them coated :)

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I rather like that whipple design. So much cleaner and nicer looking. Seems to do the same thing just from the opposite site.

It is clean being mounted underneath. It really makes sense the more you look at it, that location was the best to incorporate the sliding adjustability since 2 mounting points were needed.

BTW loving the look of those black valve covers with the whipple. I need to pull mine here soon and get them coated :)

Kudos to 04sleeper, he did an awesome job with this car. There are little things that catch my eye even near 3 years after buying it. :beer:

Notsoslowbowtie

Established Member
that's strange..because even whipple sold a tensioner at one point...albeit small and adjustable by sliding (allows easy belt change and multiple pulley sizes without changing belt size). It's been on my car for years with no issues 2.6" upper, 22psi. No bearing failure at all, the build date on this gen2 2.3 is late 2007, runs as strong as ever. I just blasted on the car today :D

IMG_0463.JPG

Ahhhh my almost twin build! But I'm running much less boost. Lol I will need one of these tensioner's as well. I passed one up a few months ago and regret it! Maybe ove the winter I will search for one.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member

04 TERMINATOR

Established Member
I was just concerned because Whipple themselves said not to run it. I didn't see why it would cause any damage because the snout already has pressure being put on it regardless. I think im going to go ahead and run one. Which size is recommended to go near the blower, 90 or 100?

Users who are viewing this thread