Automotive tools.

Go Down South

Established Member
Im an automotive student and I graduate in 2 weeks. Through my program, I can get awesome discounts through matco and snap on. I already have my box bought but im honestly a little overwhelmed with what tools I should buy as a beginner just getting into the field. I was hoping some of you guys could give me some suggestions.

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
Im an automotive student and I graduate in 2 weeks. Through my program, I can get awesome discounts through matco and snap on. I already have my box bought but im honestly a little overwhelmed with what tools I should buy as a beginner just getting into the field. I was hoping some of you guys could give me some suggestions.

Do you go to Penn College?

Five-ohh-Love

Established Member
I would start out with the basic needed tools for an auto technician.
Get some-

Screw drivers
1/2 inch impact gun with sockets
1/4 3/8 and 1/2 inch ratchets with sockets
Open end wrenches
Pliers, needle nose, vise grips
A dead blow hammer
A basic OBDII scan tool

I could probably name a lot more but just have a talk with a salesman on a tool truck. They can be helpful at setting you up with the stuff you need. And even though you have a discount through Matco and Snapon, i highly suggest you buy basic stuff from Craftsman and Harbor Freight.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I would suggest buying a set of made in usa craftsman tools. While I like my Snap-On tools, if I didn't have the cash for them, I wouldn't have purchased them. Stick with Armstrong, Craftsman, or SK. IMO, new Snap-On is overpriced. If you really want Snap-On, buy used at over 40% off

Krwy

Established Member
Harbor Freight Pittsburg tools for just starting out. Thats what I take to the wrecking yard and work with small projects. My brother is a Mercedes Benz tech and doesn't require too much, has an easy $30k in tools. Buy good Snap-On/Matco when it's time to replace broken, cheaper pieces.

sneakysnake03

SVT
Established Member
I bought the limit of Snap-On tools when I was in school. I wish I was able to buy more but I couldn't. Also if you plan on doing this for a living good tools are essential. Tools that are not used often I will purchase from Harbor Freight or Sears, but with Craftsmen tools not being made in America anymore I will not buy much from them. If I want tools made in China I'll buy from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool. However, I have had good luck out of Northern's AirCat Pneumatic tools.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Harbor Freight Pittsburg tools for just starting out. Thats what I take to the wrecking yard and work with small projects. My brother is a Mercedes Benz tech and doesn't require too much, has an easy $30k in tools. Buy good Snap-On/Matco when it's time to replace broken, cheaper pieces.

This.

The $30k "fresh out of UTI/Wyotech" Matco/Mac/SnapOn toolbox is almost as big a scam as the cost of tuition itself.

Most mechanics tool boxes I know are 90% Harbor freight. High end stuff where it counts, but your standard drivers and socket sets are cheapies.

I wouldnt spend $30k on a career that most dont last 2 years before calling it quits.

Also, keep an eye out for someone selling a already existing box of tools ($20k in value) for a couple grand all in, because they too bought into the scam and are getting out.

Last edited:

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
This.

The $30k "fresh out of UTI/Wyotech" Matco/Mac/SnapOn toolbox is almost as big a scam as the cost of tuition itself.

Most mechanics tool boxes I know are 90% Harbor freight. High end stuff where it counts, but your standard drivers and socket sets are cheapies.

I wouldnt spend $30k on a career that most dont last 2 years before calling it quits.

Also, keep an eye out for someone selling a already existing box of tools ($20k in value) for a couple grand all in, because they too bought into the scam and are getting out.

this. I have a pre owned snap on toolbox from a friend very very cheap, two craftsmen boxes are at the shop and I got a Matco box on a 4wheeler trade (I had 1000 into the quad and did a straight trade for a like new matco box) most of my tools are craftsmen. very few are strap on. they are so overpriced... nice tools but im not paying 900 for a digital torque wrench you can buy at sears for 299 (or less) brand new.

Harbor freight is great for cheap tools and odds and ends. I buy a ton of zip ties, wiring, connectors, ect. if I need to make a custom socket for a one time use, thats the place to go. I wouldnt buy a welder from them but I do have stuff from them. and the stuff in general works pretty damn good.

Last edited:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
honestly at first i would suggest getting a cheap basic set like maybe a 200 piece craftsman kit. when you start working you will figure out which tools you dont like using and which ones perform better. I spent 2 weeks trying to find a 3/8" ratchet that fit me like my old snap on my ole man gave me ~15yrs ago. it was a high tooth count, perfect length and just fit in my hands just right. your tools speak for you in a way. i can tell if someone is a shade tree mechanic when i see nothing but bulky 1/2" drive 15 tooth count ratchets and miss matched pitted chrome wrenches. every month buy 1 tool like a screw driver to replace the crappy on you have.... once you figure out what is your style save up for a good set of each basic tool. iv never met a mechanic that just bought everything he/she needed in 1 day it takes years and years to get your inventory right and by the time you are 50 you will start to forget what you go. just out of curiosity the wife and I did a inventory of my ole mans shop and got a round about figure of the value and it was insane.

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
Sockets are sockets. Actually I have broken more Snap-On sockets than my Northern ones. Screwdrivers are pretty much all the same. The Snap-Ons and Matcos are great, but cheapies do just fine starting out. Don't bother with SO or Matco air tools. Ingersol is the best I have used and they can be bought at Northern or online for cheap. Wrenches are a different story. I have used cheap wrenches and thought they were doing good until I bought a set of Snap-On flank drive wrenches. They were expensive but well worth it. Its the same with my Snap-On 3/8 ratchet. I used plenty of cheap ones thinking that the expensive ones were a waste of money until I worked for a shop and used someones good ratchet. I spent about $120 on my flex head soft grip ratchet and I will never go back. You can go cheap on 1/2 drive ratchets if they aren't used that much in your field.

I used a Makita 18v Li-ion 3/8 impact and 1/2 drill for several years. When it was time to upgrade I went with Matcos 14.4v set. It was expensive, but it was worth it for me. I would suggest starting with the Makita or similar set to start out.
I use picks a lot at work. I tried out the cheap ones from Northern, but they didn't last a week. I got Snap-Ons now and they rarely break, and when they do they are warrantied.

I have been doing this for about 4 years now. I have made some purchases that I wish I had bought from Northern, and purchases that I wish I hadn't wasted my time and money with the cheap stuff. You will figure out what you need and don't need from the tool trucks before long.

Last edited:

Mystic03

Established Member
been doin this for 4 years straight out of wyotech into a automotive job...only snap on tools i have are impact 1/2 and 3/8 those are essential since i use them everyday.IMO its retarted if you are financing for a tool box or tools.i know several techs hell some that i work with have 30K in tools and still are in debt and i still pull same hours/money if not more with my simple "low grade" tools.

ibleedblue65

Established Member
I easily have $50k+ in tools. It's a negotiated part of my pay so I don't have tool bills.

A short list of my preferences

Hammers- snap on has the best hammers. I think it's worth the expense

Sockets- I have craftsman, gp, harbor freight etc( you can skimp here). My torx set is blue point, Allen's are harbor freight. Snap on swivels

Wrenches- same thing. Mac is nice but I get by with a combo of craftsman, blue point, Mac, matco etc

Impacts- ingersol! Everybody rebrands them and they are the best on the market. I love their hammerhead.

Air ratchets- mac( their slim head air wratchets with the offset direction selector is the best)

Wratchets- snap on. Worth the expense

Cordless- I like the dewalt stuff the best right now. I use my cordless impact constantly

Pliers- knipex! Worth the expense(matco rebrands these)

There's a lot more I could list. Don't let these guys discourage you. In the right environment you can make good money doing what you love in this field. I'm also a me student so turning wrenches isn't my long term plan but I'm still very satisfied doing what I do. I get to build fast cars and play with tools. What more could a guy ask for?

Last edited:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Honestly I would put more money into good ratchets and good wrenches. Crap brand ratchets are usually low tooth count which can make it a pain in tight areas. Crap wrenches are sometimes not too precise on their size. We all know 14mm and 9/16 are pretty close so why the hell does on of my junk brand 14mm wrenches almost strip out a 9/16 bolt? Ratchet wrenches are cool but again you will get what you paid for too. Higher tooth count the happier you will be.

Jcobra03

import reaper
Established Member
I have broken only about five of my original snap on sockets since 2001 . all of my original wrenches (also purchased in 2001)are still in perfect shape . snap on electric impacts (3/8 &1/2)are the tools I use the most of and I love them.i have a mixture of matco ,snapon,and bluepoint.all of those brands have been excellent. I have some harbor freight tools but mostly throw away stuff like dead blows,heat gun,jackstands...etc

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
This.

Nail on the head in bold. When I started I bought a tiny craftsman box and just added side cabinets as extra tool space. If you plan on working in a shop for a long time you don't need the extra fancy tool chest. I spent 6 years in the field and worked with the tools I had. Some I had to improvise and some I had to buy. In the end just add on when you need it. Its much easier on your wallet and credit especially when buying the expensive special tools.

cobra-boss

Established Member
Ebay and local pawn shops are a great place to pick up "higher" end tools for cheep. I have had some luck at swap meets too (MAC 3/8 socket set SAE and metric short and deep complete $50). I love my Matco 1/4 swivel head ratchet...from the pawn shop for $35.

I'm a fan of Husky tools from Home Depot ..same as Craftsman with a life time warranty and both made by Stanley.

Jim

mrlrd1

Established Member
Lots of good information already posted.

I'll reinforce the quality of Snap-On ratchets. They make the best, period. Don't waste your money on anything else. Their other hand tools are no better than any other major brand (don't buy their sockets or wrenches), but every ratchet you own should be Snap-On.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned ratcheting wrenches! Modern cars damn near require them for many jobs. I prefer Gearwrench.

One last thing to note, don't waste your money on new Visegrips or any off brands; once their patent ran out and everyone copied they had to compete with a price point and quality suffered. Search CL and yard sales for OLD genuine Visegrips.

Last edited:

Equalbracket

Established Member
Go to Sears, next 48 hours. Get the 309 piece tool kit for $200, its 50% off. 72 1/4 in drive tools, 97 3/8, 41 1/2 in, 99 other things.

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
I would suggest buying a set of made in usa craftsman tools. While I like my Snap-On tools, if I didn't have the cash for them, I wouldn't have purchased them. Stick with Armstrong, Craftsman, or SK. IMO, new Snap-On is overpriced. If you really want Snap-On, buy used at over 40% off

too bad crapsman is not made in the usa anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread