Automotive scanners

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Hey guys, my dad and I are going to go in on an automotive scanner. A nice one. I would say our budget is $500-$1000. Any recommendations or suggestions? I was leaning towards an Autel but my dad likes Snap On options. Any feedback is welcomed.

beau t

Established Member
Got a older snap-on scanner from a buddy of mine for 600$ it was up to 2015 model year and cost me 900$ to get it updated so keep in mind how much it cost to update if you get a used 1 - they offer a update program where you can pay a set amount every month (i think) and it will download through the internet but i didn't do that because the newest thing i own is a 2018 (updated to 22). My buddy bought a autel, he said it has free updates for a couple years then he will sell it and buy another 1 - I borrowed it and didn't like it - - NOTE probably not the scanners fault i just didn't have time to learn it and knew the snap-on scanner better. Im not great with either but to me the snap-on was easier to use ( probably because he would walk me through it while troubleshooting different cars when at his shop and i didn't get that same experience with the autel. side bar - he is perfectly happy with the autel and said he wouldn't go back to a snap-on scanner when he could just about buy a new 1 for what the updates cost from snap-on. A lot of rambling lol hope it helps.

olympic

Established Member
I bought a Launch X341 about 3.5 years ago. I've used it on Hondas, Toyotas, and a few domestics and it did everything I needed it to do.

81NnOIHvbtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Both have their upsides and downsides. Have both here at the shop and it seems the Autel gets used the most. For what I typically use them for, which is basic scanning for codes, reading basic data, etc in order to get an idea of what we are dealing with, the SnapOn is quick and easy to get the info pulled up quick, but the Autel seems to be the go to for running more programming options for various functions all the while doing everything the SnapOn can do. Autels are basically the go-to for European vehicles as well.

01yellercobra

Established Member
My buddy has a Blue Point scanner. I'm not sure what brand its based off of, but it's worked on whatever we've needed to scan. I like that I was able to check the ABS stuff on my Cobra with it.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
We ended up with the Autel MK808Z-BT ($590 on Amazon with 20% off BF deal).

Autel's website is confusing. I'm not sure if we have to pay $150 a year to continue to use it OR if we only pay $150 a year if we want the latest software updates. It's a yearly fee that isn't due until a year from now. Overall, its a cool scanner. I just opened it this morning. I'll provide better feedback when I use it for the first time.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
We ended up with the Autel MK808Z-BT ($590 on Amazon with 20% off BF deal).

Autel's website is confusing. I'm not sure if we have to pay $150 a year to continue to use it OR if we only pay $150 a year if we want the latest software updates. It's a yearly fee that isn't due until a year from now. Overall, its a cool scanner. I just opened it this morning. I'll provide better feedback when I use it for the first time.

that should be for if you want updates, I have never heard of Autel requiring a yearly subscription to just use it.

I'll eat my words if I'm wrong

Users who are viewing this thread