Automobile - Ford GT vs. Corvette ZO6 vs. Dodge Viper Coupe

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Big 8 said:
The FGT is the Mona Lisa, Sure you can hang a nagle ( figured the vette crowd would know who this was) if ya like. Its a picture, you can see it, you can touch it and it can do everything the Mona Lisa can do, but simply put its still not the mona lisa?

All right, I just gotta laugh at this last statement :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Gt is just another fast car, and will be gone next year. It will not be remembered anymore or less than a vette or viper 30 years from now. Although it is based on the original GT40, it is NOT and will never even be close.

Paul Vincent

Established Member
GTSpartan,
In your opinion it will not be remembered anymore or less than a Vette or a Viper 30 years from now, but not in mine or many others. It is simply too beautiful a car to be forgotten (and it has too much history).

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Paul Vincent said:
GTSpartan,
In your opinion it will not be remembered anymore or less than a Vette or a Viper 30 years from now, but not in mine or many others. It is simply too beautiful a car to be forgotten (and it has too much history).

It is an automotive work of art...a true classic. :bowdown:

Formula51

Established Member
DBK said:
How? The fact that the Z06 also pulls more lateral g's on the track, yet still makes around the course slower than the GT should prove that lateral g's is highly overrated. I'm not saying it's a moderately useful gauge of grip, but what you're saying is pretty much driving home my conclusion. I doubt a race has ever been run where the guy finishing in second says "well, I pulled more g's than you did"...

Well, the Z06 pulled higher lateral G's and the GT made it arund the track quicker in one instance (Automobile test), where only peak G's were reported. In the MotorTrend test where AVERAGE lateral G's were reported, more useful statistic, the Z06 pulled more average lateral g's over the course of the track and one by a much larger margin.

I do however think that they are only one small piece of a cars overall performance, but a useful one, especially when they are average g's obtained on the track. I agree that peak lateral g's, especially on a skid pad, show grip, but are not as meaningful.

Formula51

Established Member
Big 8 said:
Your leaving out what they tested in terms of the other acceleration tests as well. The in gear time, and the 10MPH intervals all of which were recorded in the first test. All of which were won by the FGT.

This would be absolutely retared. To list all the intervals is meaningless and I do not believe Automobile did this breakdown anywho. Regardless, this would be like listing 60-0mph, 70-0,mph,80-0mph, 90-0mph, 100-0mph, etc Braking. The Z06 would win them all but all we need to show is which car stops better, one number is enough.

We could compare acceleration with 1/4 mile time and speed, as I did, since this is a very common number and compares the cars up to over 125mph. Also, it was reported by both magazines (not speed in Automobile). We could also replace the 1/4 mile with 0 - 150mph which would be a useful acceleration comparison, but was not recorded by Automobile. To look at say ONLY 0-60mph does not cover a broad enough range of the two cars acceleration. However, it is not a bad statistic to include WITH 1/4 mile or 0-150mph.

We are trying to compare the two cars overall performance. Thus, we need acceleration, braking, cornering, and the culmination of the three: track times.

Big 8 said:
You can lay a claim that it may be an equal but I seriously doubt that let alone the better. I believe the guy who wrote the articale stated that the Vette beats the Viper.Then a few sentences later speaking on the FGT states its in a whole different class. Which is actually the most significant point of all.

I don't need to claim it, at this point that is what the numbers show. When it comes to overall performace, the Z is equal or better, so far.

Now, is the FGT a different class? Yes, I think it is in a different class because of its high price, low production, and unique appearance. The same reason why a Ferrari is in a different class than the Z06 even if it gets its butt romped by the Z. THIS is where FORD deserves all the credit. They built an AMERICAN SPORTS CAR that can get the attention of and earn the respect of the likes of Ferrari and Lamborghini. The Z06 can get their attention, but not earn their respect. A big diamond gets your attention, but when its yellow and flawed it doesn't get your respect. The more expensive, more rare, nearly flawless diamond gets your attention and earns your respect. Ok, bad analogy, but I just recently got engaged so its in my head!

On a side note, while I love to talk about the Z (would be boring here for yall if I didn't) I had a dream last night about driving the Ford GT! Thats right, I DREAMT OF DRIVNG THE FGT! It was blue with white stripes, which oddly enough is not my favorite color, but it was bad arse! I woke up so happy and told the dream to my brother, who was riding shotgun! One day, one day.......

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
Captain Beyond said:
Very interesting results...looks like another win for the GT :burnout:
Thanks. :beer:

It does. Looks like another very close win of the GT over the Z06 in accleration and track times by tenths of a second. We will have to wait for the final numbers to see just how close.

Do yall really feel comfortable talking about a comparison done by Edmunds? I don't. I don't even really feel comfortable talking about Automobiles and lets pray to God Road&Track doesn't do one. They publically admitted that they post 1/4 mile times that "they feel" a less than skilled driver could obtain by "granny shifting". In other words, USELESS!!!! Magazines are easily swayed, but MM&FF has great drivers if they can curb the Chevy bias, which they usually do, and Car and Driver and MotorTrend are typically the best of the mainstream mags in my opinion.

Formula51

Established Member
50 BMG said:
That test doesn't count, track not technical enough...

I wasn't going to say it, but you had to be a smart arse. Willow Springs advertises as the "fastest track in the West"! You tell me if that is technical?

I don't care either way, a road course is a road course, and winning is winning. But, it should be considered when looking at different tests. Certainly you dont consider Daytona and Martinsville the same track?

From the mouth of a member at fordgtforum.com when talking about running his Viper at Willow Springs:
"Willow is an easy track to learn, with relatively few turns, (9), and not too technical. A lot of Gen2 owners do it with just two gears, 3+4. You get to practice your heel-toe manuever just once each lap, when entering Turn 3!! After the top of 6, you go back to fourth gear, and there you stay until you enter Turn 3 again."

Think what you want and I will think correctly! Regardless, it does not change the outcome. Win for the FGT!

Last edited:

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Hopefully this doesn't come off as me sounding like a dick... but you need to calm down Formula. I'm just f-ing around with the statement in my last post.

Last edited:

wonkawonka

Funny people. Do you really think that at this level of performance it's the car that matters?
Stop talking about cars and improve your driving. Cheapest way to get a faster car!
(incidentally, it can't be truer at Willow Springs)

fordification

Established Member
hahaha, I knew eventually one of the mags would put together a win for the Z. So this track was even tighter/shorter then the Willow track?

Formula51

Established Member
50 BMG said:
Hopefully this doesn't come off as me sounding like a dick... but you need to calm down Formula. I'm just f-ing around with the statement in my last post.

You are not being a dick, thats why I said you were being a smart arse. I knew you were playing around.

Formula51

Established Member
fordification said:
hahaha, I knew eventually one of the mags would put together a win for the Z. So this track was even tighter/shorter then the Willow track?

Hmmm, not sure your point. The track where the Z beat the GT by over 4 seconds was about the same length as Gingerman, where the GT beat the Z06 by 0.3 seconds. I don't know the length of Willow Springs off the top of my head, but most tracks are tighter than the high speed track that is Willow Springs, again, not sure your point.

The margin of victory by the Z06 in the Motor Trend test is ASTRONOMICAL compared to the margin of victory by the GT in the Automobile test and apparently an upcoming Edmunds test where the GT edged out the Z06 by less than a second on a high speed track.

Last edited:

fordification

Established Member
regarding acceleration, you can see the shift point offsets from .1 to .4, without the exception of the 1/4, possibly the vette is making up ground. not sure about the traps, 126mph to 126.8? or is that 6 an 8? can't tell.
by 150mph, I wonder if the vette would make the pass.

fordification

Established Member
and top speeds, who was governed and not? think they're both governed. not that it makes any difference on the track.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Damn, this thread is still alive!

Anyway, obviously the Z and GT are very, very closely matched and in almost all likelyhood a drivers race in every sense.

Users who are viewing this thread