Automobile - Ford GT vs. Corvette ZO6 vs. Dodge Viper Coupe

Formula51

Established Member
Well, the Ford GT and Corvette Z06 were neck and neck in this comparison. The editors had great things to say about both cars and shared my same opinion. If they had the money they would own the GT, but if not, the ZO6 will get the job done! Both cars will be giving a little wave to the "new" Viper Coupe while looking in the rear-view mirror. The editors were not very impressed with the Viper, but it was still pretty close in performance. Automobile is not my favorite, but this is an enjoyable read and the first of many comparisons to come between these cars.

At the bottom of the page.
http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?viewThread=y&gID=0&fID=0&tID=57302&bottom=20

Fadis_Z

Established Member
It was clear that they liked the GT best, then the Z06, and lastly the Viper.

The Z06 beat the Viper in every performance category. I was surprised to see the Z and the FGT so close around the track. Also, even more surprised to see the Z beat the FGT in the 1/4.

All around, I think it was a great read and very unbiased. Start modding, Viper boys..;)

tscripa

To use a Lance Armstrong expression, the ZO6 is the "sh*t that will kill them". I hope this puts pressure on everyone to raise the bar on the performance / price ratio. What a bargain.

Formula51

Established Member
I also thought it was impressive to see the ZO6 put up numbers right with the GT and then be referred to as a "day to day car". That is one hell of a daily driver and interestingly the only of the three with traction control, which they turned off for their driving impressions, but I hear is very good.

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
Glad to see the Ford GT was a quicker around the road course. The 1/4 miles times were kinda high for all of them though.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Force4.6 said:
Glad to see the Ford GT was a quicker around the road course. The 1/4 miles times were kinda high for all of them though.

We should probably wait for another mag to run them. Automobile mag is not known to put the best numbers down. If you run the N/A cars for more than a few laps they will start to close the gap on the S/C cars. On a more technical course the Z, with it's great breaks and ultra light weight will really shine, kinda like the 'ring times. Lots of turns and braking.

Formula51

Established Member
For me, the fact that the Z was right there with the GT on a very simple (non-techincal) track like Gingerman Raceway, makes me think my prediction that it would turn a slower Ring time is right. However, all of the track times are less than impressive and that makes it hard to draw good conclusions. I think each car is capable of much more in the hands of a better driver.

GTSpartan: I was a little surprised at the Vipers track times. Over a second at that track is a whole lot. I don't know much about Vipers, so any technical info as to why this may have happened would be nice....

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Formula51 said:
For me, the fact that the Z was right there with the GT on a very simple (non-techincal) track like Gingerman Raceway, makes me think my prediction that it would turn a slower Ring time is right. However, all of the track times are less than impressive and that makes it hard to draw good conclusions. I think each car is capable of much more in the hands of a better driver.

GTSpartan: I was a little surprised at the Vipers track times. Over a second at that track is a whole lot. I don't know much about Vipers, so any technical info as to why this may have happened would be nice....

There has been some questioning of these times by some racers. The times posted are faster than some race prepped Viper competition coupes with race slicks which, would absolutely kill any of these cars on a track. Maybe they had the track setup differently, I don't know.

I agree, a highly technical track would probably give the Z a bigger advantage with its superior brakes and nimble, lightweight chassis. Weight KILLS brakes over time. A short 1.30's lap is not enough time to really see the effect on braking. It happens to me after a few laps, and it sucks!!!!

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
fordification said:
I'm thinking a longer track would only give the GT more room to stretch it's legs.

Or heat soak and lose its brakes. I did not realize that the GT is no lightweight at nearly 3500#. Why is it that heavy?

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
I have been in a Ford GT after it had been making high speed runs all day. Didn't seem to be suffering from heat soak or brake fade to me.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Force4.6 said:
I have been in a Ford GT after it had been making high speed runs all day. Didn't seem to be suffering from heat soak or brake fade to me.

I can guarantee you that a s/c car WILL suffer heat soak. Thats why you NEVER see S/C cars running any kind of endurance racing. They run HOT, which is a bad thing. It's a fact.

For example, the GT makes 550hp, but the blower uses 100 hp to run, so in theory the motor is producing 650 hp worth of heat, but only generating 550 hp. Intercolers work some, but can't stop it. It happens to me in my car after a few hard laps. It may not SEEM down on power, but it is. The GT's blower is nothing special, or magical, and has all the positives and negatives that any S/C offers.

Ford GT Fan

Established Member
But the engine doesn't know WHERE its horsepower is being used. You are right, in a supercharged car some horsepower is used to compress the air in the supercharger. But the designers of the car knew about the supercharger, and in a properly-designed car, the cooling system is designed for this.

A turbocharged car also has additional heat to remove. After the intake air is compressed (whether by a supercharger or turbocharger) it is hotter. Intercoolers are used to help reduce the temperature of the intake air. But not all the added heat is removed, and as a result the car's main cooling system has to be upgraded to compensate.

If a car's cooling system (which would include radiator, oil cooler, and intercooler) is not designed for extended track use, any car, whether supercharged, turbocharged, or normally aspirated, can get too hot. Newer cars have electronics that monitor temperatures and will retard the ignition or take other steps to avoid damage to an engine that is running excessively hot.

I suspect that the reason superchargers aren't typically used in race cars (other than in drag racing) has more to do with fuel economy, since the on-demand nature of a turbocharger probably is a bit more efficient than the always-on "displacement multiplier" of a supercharger.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Ford GT Fan said:
I suspect that the reason superchargers aren't typically used in race cars (other than in drag racing) has more to do with fuel economy, since the on-demand nature of a turbocharger probably is a bit more efficient than the always-on "displacement multiplier" of a supercharger.

Ask anyone who road races (AC427cobra) and they will tell you that a S/C is not the weapon of choice for extended romps on the throttle. A turbo becomes more efficient the faster you spin it, while a S/C becomes less efficient and creates more friction (heat). Fuel economy has nothing to do with it for racers. In ALMS and Grand Am you can use either system, but NOBODY uses a S/C. They either run N/A or turbo.

A S/C simply is not a good choice for road racing. Ford probably had no intention of ever officially racing the GT and felt the cost to develop a 550hp N/A motor was not worth it.

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
Two are used that I know of,

Cobalt SS
2003-2004 Mustang Cobra

But I think you are right GTSpartan, Ford never intended to race the S/C 5.4. Roush did make one hell of a motor though.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
GTSpartan said:
Ask anyone who road races (AC427cobra) and they will tell you that a S/C is not the weapon of choice for extended romps on the throttle. A turbo becomes more efficient the faster you spin it, while a S/C becomes less efficient and creates more friction (heat). Fuel economy has nothing to do with it for racers. In ALMS and Grand Am you can use either system, but NOBODY uses a S/C. They either run N/A or turbo.

A S/C simply is not a good choice for road racing. Ford probably had no intention of ever officially racing the GT and felt the cost to develop a 550hp N/A motor was not worth it.

Ya know there was some talk back in the day of a few (n/a) v10's or v12's (Aston Martin) that would be likely candidates to make it into Ford Gt's if Ford chose to get into manufacturer backed racing... then the new crash standards came out, etc... I don't think Ford was trying to go out and build a world beater, I think they just wanted to make a hell of a car deserving of the name, I'd say mission accomplished, besides Ford has the AM's and Jag's so there is little need to put a race version of the Gt together for such a limited run

Users who are viewing this thread