autometer lunar guge set-up's

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
i just got the autometer lunar boost and a/f gauge so i was wondering if anyone had this set up and if they can post it up please

thanks
anthony

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
IMG00009-20090211-1917.jpg

IMG00010-20090211-1918.jpg

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
Lets just say i wouldnt trust it on my riding lawn mower.

:lol: This as well as the other comments are 100% accurate. The gauge just scans back and forth and nothing more. If it didn't match the boost gauge it wouldn't still be in my car. I'll prob eventually replace it w another lunar gauge and incorporate a wideband elsewhere.

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
:lol: This as well as the other comments are 100% accurate. The gauge just scans back and forth and nothing more. If it didn't match the boost gauge it wouldn't still be in my car. I'll prob eventually replace it w another lunar gauge and incorporate a wideband elsewhere.

i do not get it:??: other than the lights moving what is it doing? what is it reading then:shrug:

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
i do not get it:??: other than the lights moving what is it doing? what is it reading then:shrug:

It's supposed to show lean/stoich/rich to let you know where your a/f is at,but unfortunately it just sweeps back and forth making a light show. It's actually a worthless gauge other than looks. You need a wideband that will display your a/f numerically.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
Its because the factory 02 sensors are a "Narrow Band" type. They only use a small voltage range to represent the AF ratio. Were as a "Wide Band" has a larger voltage range to represent the AF ratio. The larger the voltage range, the more accurately the sensor can read the AF. The factory one and the Lunar AF gauge doesn't have enough of a range to accurately do the job.

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
well i got the lunar boost gauge and couldnt find a matching gauge so i can run the dual gauges in the a-pillar pods.....i finally won a bid on ebay for the a/f gauge for $70 so i guess it will just be for looks lols untill i get a real one..but atleast they match and i got gauges like i wanted:shrug:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
well i got the lunar boost gauge and couldnt find a matching gauge so i can run the dual gauges in the a-pillar pods.....i finally won a bid on ebay for the a/f gauge for $70 so i guess it will just be for looks lols untill i get a real one..but atleast they match and i got gauges like i wanted:shrug:

why not fuel pressure? or true water temp?

i have lunar's on my cluster and pillar (4). ill get pics later

03yellow

Established Member
i got the same thing and im a newbie to gauges why is it worthless?

The Autometer Lunar gauge is a narrow band gauge:

Narrow Band O2 Sensors began to appear on vehicles with the advent of fuel injection in the 1980’s. Their purpose was to monitor component degradation (i.e. fuel injectors, vacuum leaks) of vehicles as they accumulated miles. Their basic job was to let the computer know whether the vehicle was running at an air/fuel ratio of 14.7:1 under idle (ideal ratio for gasoline engines), moderate acceleration, and cruise conditions, and if it wasn’t, to “trim” the injector pulse-width to either slightly lean or richen the engine. When the computer is paying attention to the input from the O2 sensor, the engine is operating in a “closed-loop” capacity. Under heavier acceleration or wide-open throttle the computer ignores the O2 sensor because it requires an air/fuel ratio other than 14.7:1, which is outside the design parameters of the sensor. This is known as “open-loop” operation. The sensor lets the computer know if the engine is running above or below 14.7:1 by sending voltage to the computer in a range between 0 and 1 volt, usually sweeping between the two extremes of this scale. Traditional narrow-band air/fuel ratio gauges are simply a voltmeter for this signal. This can be seen by the repeated sweeping back and forth of the gauge in most idle, light throttle, and cruise conditions. To summarize, a narrow band O2 sensor is only able to tell a computer (or gauge, for that matter) whether an engine is operating above or below a 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio.

Wide Band O2 Sensors where developed in the early ‘90s as vehicle manufacturers began looking to obtain air/fuel ratio information under all circumstances. This ranged from WOT to varying ratios, for example running air/fuel ratios leaner than 14.7:1 under cruise conditions. Volkswagen and Honda pioneered the development of the wide-band O2 sensors to provide accurate air-fuel ratios under these varying circumstances. They did this by broadening the voltage range in which feedback from the sensor was provided and making a linear scale that provided a fixed voltage that correlated to a specific air/fuel ratio. While the narrow-band O2 is still the most common type of O2 sensor installed on most new vehicles (for cost reasons), OEMs will still use wide-bands on many forced induction applications (or, in Honda’s case, on their “lean-burn” Civics).

High performance vehicle tuners discovered that wide-band O2 sensors are very helpful when accurate air/fuel ratio readings are required to maximize power, reliability, and mileage on modified vehicles.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

you should have looked into the speedhut gauges then. they will match closer and fully custom and the wideband gauge from speedhut is a true wideband gauge, you just need to buy the controller for it from innovate or another company.

BBCOBRA

Established Member
you should have looked into the speedhut gauges then. they will match closer and fully custom and the wideband gauge from speedhut is a true wideband gauge, you just need to buy the controller for it from innovate or another company.

true. A speedhut a/f gauge is only around 112.00

Users who are viewing this thread