Autometer instrument cluster bezel

BBriBro

Established Member
Ok, those of you that have this piece, part #10003, the pics I have seen look great, but now that I have one in my hand, and compared it to the stock one, I can't help but think its a bit chincy. The color is not the same, but thats a matter of personal preference, so I can't consider that a fault. But It doesn't use the nice hidden clips to mount, they give two supplimental brackets and two additional screws, so they are visible, shouldn't they have nice little snap on screw covers or something? The shape is close, but not identical, the entire lip around the top side of the bezel where its rolled over is larger, and protrudes further back than the stock one, I just layed it in , and it doesn't fit quite right, it seems to cover the top of the tach slightly, I hope the screws will pull it into the proper position. The rubber molding at the bottom that touches the steering column is not there, and I don't see anyway to attach it, Did you guys transfer it to the new bezel? just silicone it on there? And I am a bit concerned about the gauges not fitting in there, it looks like they will hit on the bottom, Do they fit? or did you have to do some grinding on all that plastic that surrounds the instrument cluster? I don't have my gauges yet, so I cannot tell. And does anyone have any pics of creative ideas they had to cover the rear defroster switch hole?

Last edited:

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Mac03Cobra
One word, PILLAR...
Nah, I like the look of the gauges all clustered together, And if I buy a poorly fitting pillar pod, it will be even closer to my eyes, and I'll see the defects even more, everytime I open the door, etc. At least here, its hidden down in a dark cavity, in shadows.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
I agree on all those points. The gauges fit, except for the metal screws coming from the back of them. The passenger side on hits the plastic on the left side. I cut it down. :mj: I think the drivers side gauge will fit w/o trimming the metal screw.

The top will pull up once it's tightened.
Did your bracket for the right side have a nut attached to it like the left one? Mine didn't :mj:

The color is not really a big deal once it's in there.

I'd like to do the bottom rubber strip when I take it out to out the temp gauge in. It's only a boost gauge in there now.

It's kinda of bitch to put in, but the end product does look good and is functional. I like the postion of them alot. They are just visible inside the edge of the wheel once I get the seat and wheel where I like it.

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
Did your bracket for the right side have a nut attached to it like the left one? Mine didn't :mj:

Yes, both of my brackets have the nut welded on. I will probably try to attach the rubber before I install the bezel, I just set it in there, and there was quite a big gap above the steering column.

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
pillar3.jpg

Just for a second look....

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
Yes, 1st run.... That's the full pillar model. The grain is off just a tad, but I painted both sides so the color is OK. I trimmed the stock pillar a little at the top. It's looks OEM. I was very pleased with the look.

Mac...

Lomancobra

Established Member
Does anyone make a pillar cluster that matches the interior?

Also, has anyone thought about putting gauges where the saleen boost gauge is? On the dash above the center console. I think it looks better there since everyone has a pillar. Can I get these clusters from saleen? And would I have a problem getting them installed on the dash?

Last edited:

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
Yes you can and others sell them also. The bummer is cutting a hole in the top of the DASH! ARGH!.... With the pillar or cluster, you can always swap them back... Big hole in the top of the dash is a little harder. Plus, the line of sight is a little more off than the cluster or pillar. JMO...

Mac..

Lomancobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Mac03Cobra
Yes you can and others sell them also. The bummer is cutting a hole in the top of the DASH! ARGH!.... With the pillar or cluster, you can always swap them back... Big hole in the top of the dash is a little harder. Plus, the line of sight is a little more off than the cluster or pillar. JMO...

Mac..

Thats cool, do you know of anyone else who has them? I figure if I ever want to I could get a new dashboard from ford. Thanks for the help.

BBriBro

Established Member
So Do the pillar pods fit both production runs? Or do you need a specific one, I would think they would all fit, just might not match the pass side's shape.

SB 03

Established Member
as far as I know, theres not one available for the 2nd run yet, hopefully I'm wrong, I dont think the pillar pod for the rounded pillar would look very good on the triangular one

BBriBro

Established Member
Interesting, I noticed mine had a triagular shape, I thought it was very strange looking, But I had no idea it was different than the 1st production run, I just figured I was noticing all the little details I hadn't seen before.

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
Autometer sells the dash mount pods.. Again, it will take a HOLE in the top of the dash. You can also order them from Saleen. You can buy any Saleen part individually....

Mac...

SB 03

Established Member
what i think i will be doing is getting the steering column mount from dallas mustangs if i am not mistaken, but i will wait until next spring to see if anyone comes out with a a pillar pod set for 2nd run cobras

Users who are viewing this thread