autocrossers:got cooling any cooling tips ?

HectorCobra03

Established Member
went autocrossing on the cobre03 for the first time

got no braking problems (braided front lines,hawk street pads,motul 5.1 fluid)

on the grip deparment well i was using front stock tires and nittos drag on back ,at 40psi i got good grip and im + that its a lot better than the stock tires

now cooling was problem

each heat consisted of 5 laps

i went the 1rst lap and no problems but i was taking it easy to learn the track , then went again for the 2nd heat with out waiting to cool the egine ,got no problems . let the car cool but o all the heats after that the car would get hot on the 4th lap even if i let it cool for a while

apreciate any tips you got on his matter
any othe autocrossing tips also apresiated

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Originally posted by HectorCobra03
went autocrossing on the cobre03 for the first time

got no braking problems (braided front lines,hawk street pads,motul 5.1 fluid)

on the grip deparment well i was using front stock tires and nittos drag on back ,at 40psi i got good grip and im + that its a lot better than the stock tires

now cooling was problem

each heat consisted of 5 laps

i went the 1rst lap and no problems but i was taking it easy to learn the track , then went again for the 2nd heat with out waiting to cool the egine ,got no problems . let the car cool but o all the heats after that the car would get hot on the 4th lap even if i let it cool for a while

apreciate any tips you got on his matter
any othe autocrossing tips also apresiated

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121576

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...d=686389&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Have fun... :beer:

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Heat is definitely an issue. Blame the supercharger! LOL! Best of luck.

BenD

Established Member
About Over heating!

I was complaining bitterly about that problem a couple of months ago. I don't Auto Cross, but I do Road Race almost exclusively. Road Racd Racing puts demands on the cooling system that you don't usually encounter in other events.

In order to resolve the problem I first installed a Gordsford HE w/Fans, and separate dash mounted switches for pump and fans, Large Fluidyne Radiator and Shimmed the hood up in the rear about 1/4" with aluminum shims and remove the rubber rain strip.

I also removed the hood blanket and opened the two hood vents with velcro. That still didn't cure the problem.....until I had the Vortec After Cooler installed. It sits in place of the battery and holds over a Gal. of fluid.

That seemed to do it at least for the time being. I can't say for sure because the weather has cooled off somewhat when I got it installed. The last Track event at PPIR in Colo. Spgs in June the car ran cool or rather it didn't over heat!

Oh! One other important change. I added a Wide band 02 meter and using the Predator I purposely set the A/F on the rich side, which was a big help, I'm sure.

I know we're talking a lot of money here, but I was desperate to resolve that dam over heating problem that plaqued me all summer.

Anyway, that's the sequence of changes that I followed..... I don't know if that helps you or discourages you.

Good Luck!

HectorCobra03

Established Member
thanks for the repplys and links

i hope to do the rigth thing and be able to keep racing and in time fix the heating problem

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
If you're talking about AUTOCROSSING, you shouldn't be running into any problems. Road racing is a different story.

This is my second season of autocrossing, and we always get at least 6 runs per event. Usually 3 in the first run group, then 3 more in the second. I've also been to a few events where we did 6 and 6 for a total of 12 that day. I've never noticed any negative effects on my times due to heat. In fact, my times generally improve with each run as I get to know the course and fine tune problem areas.

HP is not as important on an autocross course as it is in other motorsports. You rarely have enough room to really get on it anyway.

Good luck, and enjoy it. It's a blast. I've traded going to the drag strip for autocrossing, as I find it more enjoyable. Once you are through modding and have got your 1/4 time, do you really care if you get a 11.87 instead of an 11.90? I don't. I still go now and then for fun, but not regularly anymore.

I like how the autocross course is always a different track, and you can drive your car anywhere from 45-60 seconds at a time. Although not near as competative as we are on the strip, the Cobra is still a blast to sling through the cones. :thumbsup:

coleman

Established Member
correct, autoX shouldn't cause any overheating problems unless there's already a problem with your car. our autoX courses over here don't last but a minute or two.

check & ensure that your intercooler pump is working.

BenD, my car went into thermal shutdown mode yesterday while running around a track over here ... I'm going to employ your hood shim technique & have already done quite a few items.

Next up is distilled water & water wetter instead of anti-freeze :rollseyes
Then maybe a bigger radiator?!?
How about running with your heater on to help out?

Man, I was finally really able to push my car hard enough to hit that next limit...

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
not all autocrossing is crushing cones in a parking lot. there's also on-track autocrosses. The one I just ran at road america had us in 20 minute sessions just like a regular open track event. lots more run groups smaller in number and cars spaced out farther apart.

Even the single-lap autocrosses I've done had a couple of 20 minute warmup sessions.

open track events generally consist of 20 minute sessions.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Originally posted by coleman

Man, I was finally really able to push my car hard enough to hit that next limit...

Good luck with the water & WW :( Been there done that...

it didn't work for me...

HectorCobra03

Established Member
Originally posted by Lethalchem
If you're talking about AUTOCROSSING, you shouldn't be running into any problems. Road racing is a different story.

ok now im confused

i run in a track ,on the front straigth the car goes to 130mph and i brake hard on the brakes and H&T dounshift so and turn to the rigth a get tru curves and 2 more shorter straigths before a finish a lap . mi best lap was 1:36

i was taking it easy becose it was mi 1st time , a rx8,325 got totalled wen the hit one of the cement walls and a gt2 broke the engine

my buddy in his 03 won the category beating evos,sti's,911turboS,gt3 and z06's with a lap of 127.3 yeeaa!!

HectorCobra03

Established Member
as i write this im waiting for the car to cool to put watter wetter and destilled water ,thanks for the tip

Originally posted by coleman
correct, autoX shouldn't cause any overheating problems unless there's already a problem with your car. our autoX courses over here don't last but a minute or two.

check & ensure that your intercooler pump is working.

BenD, my car went into thermal shutdown mode yesterday while running around a track over here ... I'm going to employ your hood shim technique & have already done quite a few items.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Originally posted by HectorCobra03
ok now im confused

i run in a track ,on the front straigth the car goes to 130mph and i brake hard on the brakes and H&T dounshift so and turn to the rigth a get tru curves and 2 more shorter straigths before a finish a lap . mi best lap was 1:36

i was taking it easy becose it was mi 1st time , a rx8,325 got totalled wen the hit one of the cement walls and a gt2 broke the engine

my buddy in his 03 won the category beating evos,sti's,911turboS,gt3 and z06's with a lap of 127.3 yeeaa!!

You're talking about something I would consider different than "autocrossing". As stated by another member above, I guess road course events are somtimes called Autocrosses, I'd just never heard that before. Your description sounds more like a road course event. Sorry for the confusion.

coleman

Established Member
that sounds like a time-trial event ... down here all of our autoXs are fairly tight and speeds don't normally exceed 60.

03 Cobra Toy, what radiator did you go with?
right now, i'm running a 50/50 mix of antifreeze ... which doesn't make sense here in texas during the summer :rollseyes
the WW and distilled water should help some...

I hope to have my videos up this week...

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member

HectorCobra03

Established Member
something a guy who roadraces hes civic told me

" those evos and sti's here drive themselves your cobra is hard to drive compared to those other cars , wen you get the hang of it youll leave them in the dust"

practice practice!

Users who are viewing this thread