Autocross build out for my 2003 Cobra

DCguy

Established Member
The Enkei's are just flow formed right (MAT Technology)?
Correct....they are not a forged wheel. However very proven in many racing disciplines as you are aware and are one of the lightest wheels out there at 19-20 pounds for an 18'. With forged wheel prices being what they are these days, i'll be going with a flow formed....

I recently priced out a set of Forgeline GZ3R's and ended up at $1300/wheel.....its getting nuts.

bubblehead93

Established Member
That's awesome. Please make sure to keep us updated.

In the mean time, do you have any recorded footage of your auto-x history?

Found these from 2015-2016, five different events out in Guam... small island, only one autocross location, a fish bowl track for their typhoon drift series they run out there... I'll have to hunt for some of my go-pro recordings... 5 years ago now...

don't sweat the license plate, long since retired from circulation...

Since then I've shifted to softer springs and raised the ride height a little to get a little body roll to allow the suspension to work better...

March 2016 Autocross.jpg
December 2015 Autocross.jpg
February 2015 Autocross.jpg
July 2015 Autocross.jpg
June 2015 Autocross.jpg

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Pretty neat!

I tried Auto-X a couple of times, and just couldn't wrap my head around the track. Props to you.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Flares are definitely needed with those W-I-D-E meats! I'm looking forward to seeing it completed. It will look awesome, I'm sure.

DCguy

Established Member
I'd pull the steering rack boots and install some limiters to be safe. I put 3 on each side (knowing i would be ok with 2) and only plan to run a 10in front wheel with a 285/295.

Also, give your power steering system a flush and good inspection.....its going to be getting a workout with that much tire up front. I converted everything over -6AN line including the hydroboost.

bubblehead93

Established Member
good advice, currently have cobra spec rack limiters in place and have seen nothing so far, though admittedly static, to indicate additional are needed... that being said the plan is to completely backoff the coil-over spring collar, articulate the suspension through its travel around ride height, and cycle lock to lock to look for any additional interference...

Recently replaced my rack with a modified one, all -6AN as well, completely system flush and replace.

Appreciate the advice... keep it coming plz...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice work. Those fender extenders are going to look great once the material is smoothed and painted. (y)

bubblehead93

Established Member
Pulled out the eastwood fender roller to bring the fender lip back close to vertical...

274107227_10218679500932892_2672010468777010421_n.jpg

with it i was able to move the fender lip out about a 1/4" closer to vertical, almost back to the stock profile...

Need to cut, hammer & dolly, and roll the other side... but this will bring the lip perfect I think relative to the tire edge... more fiddling to do and suspension cycling with the spring collar fully backed off to make it perfect...

bubblehead93

Established Member
Set ride height, took for a test drive, only added an 1/8" or so to scrub radius, little change in steering effort, now I can jump full bore in to hammer/dolly work knowing it really all works... Spirited driving, not race conditions admittedly, no rubbing... Lots and lots of grip, even with cold tires...
FB_IMG_1645913194786.jpg

FB_IMG_1645913207939.jpg

Then I need to adjust bump steer...

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Fat tires.

I felt like the fronts on my car were wide until I saw that front profile picture of yours.

Sent from my Potato

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Very cool. Cars are meant to be fun, well cars with some balls...haha. Always cool to see people purpose building cars for racing. Doesn't matter what kind of racing either....as long as it isn't drifting. That's just dumb to me....haha

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Holy shit that front stance looks mean can’t wait to see it all back together

Users who are viewing this thread