Auto swap.

richardv6

Established Member
I have 2013 with t56 magnum xl setup. Slipping my spec clutch on dyno. Car has a f1a and 9 inch rear setup..i am debating going with a McLeod rxt. Or just swap to 6r80 auto....wanting to know if anyone has done this and what all is changed to work properly .i have a auto out of a 2012 gt along with Pcm,trans lines and cooler and shifter, was planning on using it in my coyote swap fox though. What's your thoughts

stang910

Established Member
My car was a manual with a RXT clutch at one time. After working on a 6R80 car it didn't take long for me to decide to do a swap. To me it was well worth the time and money to do the swap. My car also has a centri blower and at first I didn't like how the auto, stock converter, and 3.15 gears felt compared to my manual setup with 3.55 gears. After putting a converter in the car the manual became a thing of the past to me. Based off my experience I'd say do the swap.

Looks like you have most of the parts for the swap already. You'll need to add the auto battery cable for sure and you may want to pick up the auto brake resevoir and brake pedal. For the interior you can use the manual console by removing the chrome trim and shift boot.

richardv6

Established Member
ok, so your saying all I need to pickup is the battery cable harness which includes trans and 02 harness. I also need a brake reservoir also? another question is the harness connectors in harness under console for shifter lock out and decent button?and I can use my 2012 pcm but would I have to use vin number off a auto car for it to work. also what did you do about hole in floor were manual came threw.

Last edited:

stang910

Established Member
Other then what you listed you'll need the flexplate and bolts, converter, shifter cable, and crossmember. The auto resevoir is needed cause the clutch line goes to the manual resevoir. The auto shifter will fill the hole in the floor and all the wiring is already there for it as well. Only harness you'll need is the battery cable. Not sure if your gonna run into issues using the 12 shifter and PCM since the 13's have selectshift. In the end you'll probably have ABS codes. I don't know how to address this issue since I've never had the issue.

Kid Smitty

Established Member
Went with a 2011 6r80 in my 2013. Used 2011 PCM and full trans harness. Don't remember any VIN issues. Did have an issue with the 2013 abs module. Had to swap it for the 2011. Don't know if this is an issue with 2012-2013 swaps. All went smooth, granted I had a tuning expert see it through.

I would recommend you put the deep pan on it. This adds about 3 quarts of fluid which lends to cooling, adds life , and helps with converter function. Also, put the extended "dip stick -filler" on it. This makes it easy to fill and check fluid.

I would strongly recommend the Exedy stage 2 clutch kit and midshaft upgrade while the trans is accessible.

Users who are viewing this thread