Auto or Standard????

J.Shoot

Established Member
Ok, I am trying to decide if I should change my transmission. I really like a standard but I know that the auto will yield faster times at the track. We still drive it on the street some though. We only take it to a 1/8 or 1/4 mile track. Looking for some others opinions.
To clarify, I'm asking for when/if something happens to my MT-82. I've been told I'm pushing it past it's limits.

J.Shoot

4601S/C

Established Member
IMO it all depends on which you value more: Time slips or fun factor. I told myself I wouldn't go to the track much, but found myself there more often than I anticipated. Even so, I'm not willing to go auto for better times. Rowing my own gears is too much fun. All the more fun since this car is my toy, so it's a real treat for me compared to my slushbox DD.

If that BOSS was mine I'd run that MT-82 till it breaks, then get a built one to replace it.

Dixarect

Cobro
Established Member
I'm pretty sure a really good manual driver can beat just a stock auto. Auto is faster when you start adding trans break and beef it up. Go with stick

Jebadias

Established Member
If you are unsure then just stay as you are. You can always downgrade later :poke:

Personally my fun is more important than an extra tenth at the track.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Better traction, faster et's with the auto. While I will miss shifting the t56, my th400 swap will be a lot better all around even on the street. Worrying about clutches, inpout shafts etc at the higher power levels was enough to push me over the edge.

J.Shoot

Established Member
Stall

Better traction, faster et's with the auto. While I will miss shifting the t56, my th400 swap will be a lot better all around even on the street. Worrying about clutches, inpout shafts etc at the higher power levels was enough to push me over the edge.

What stall are you running on your converter? (if any). I know the auto will be easier on parts, that's probably the biggest reason I am considering an auto.

Thanks,

itSSlow98

Established Member
What stall are you running on your converter? (if any). I know the auto will be easier on parts, that's probably the biggest reason I am considering an auto.

Thanks,

My th400 swap is sitting in the garage cause it's like -10 degrees out lol. I have a UCC 3800 stall for it.

mustang john

Established Member
Stay stick! I think a 9.99 stick car is way cooler than a 9.80 auto car! I plan on doing my best to knock on that 9.99 door shifting my own gears in the near future.

mustang john

Established Member
if you can run 9.99 in a stick the auto would still be alot faster in the same car, but i get your point.

A well setup and shifted stick car should only be a tenth or two at most behind a well setup auto car. Now with a stick the performance of the car is a lot more dependent on driver skill than a comparable auto car so for the guys who aren't very good at banging the gears there can be huge gains going auto.

itSSlow98

Established Member
if you can run 9.99 in a stick the auto would still be alot faster in the same car, but i get your point.

The problem with a 9.99 stick car is 6 out of 10 times it'll likely go 9s, then other 4 will be low 10s. With an auto the chances of going 9s consistently should be a good but higher.

mustang john

Established Member
The problem with a 9.99 stick car is 6 out of 10 times it'll likely go 9s, then other 4 will be low 10s. With an auto the chances of going 9s consistently should be a good but higher.

Yeah but consistency isn't too terribly important unless your bracket racing. I would be perfectly happy knowing I can row my own gears to a 9.99 every third or fourth pass, any more than that an I would get the boot and have to take the dive into being legal for 9s and I wont go that far with the car.

if you want a car set up for the track go auto, fun factor for driving around the city go manual, imo

What about fun factor at the track! :banana:

vic_s197

Established Member
I was having a hard time choosing too but I decided to go with a th400 for better times and strength, + Il be picking up a terminator or gt500 down the road so Il have a stick shift then

Swervedriver

Established Member
I've destroyed a bunch of drivetrain stuff. When I snapped the output shaft of the T56 I knew I had to make the jump.

A RMVB TH400 is easily just as fun to drive as the T56. I ended up liking it a LOT better than having to use the spec clutch.

02grasssnake

Established Member
Auto FTW!!! I I've seen people cut a 1.5-1.6 60" on a stick. But the cost factor of stuff braking is not cool everyone I have ever talk to that did the swap said it was so worth it. With the right convertor, gears etc... It is beast. I'm in the process of find a auto car just for that reason. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love banging gears but after a couple trannys cluthes u joints and a axle or 2 I'm done. Launching off the line and breaking was to much after I destroyed my last input shalt was enough. I said the hell with it I'm going to an auto. The right convertor

Users who are viewing this thread