Auto or manual for street/strip car.

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
I'm currently looking to make some power improvements to my car but I have shifting issues and my problem is I can't make up my mind on what I want to do. I love driving a manual trans on the street but would love the consistancy of a built race trans for drag racing. The car is on the track about as much as it is on the street. The car is only for play and very rarely comes out of the garage but I LOVE taking it to the track and love cruising and playing around on the steet. Just curious what people have to say who have had both and their car isn't an all out drag car. Oh and what trans would you recommend that will handle highway driving and by who? Thanks in advance.

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
I switched to the 4r70w and will never ever ever go back to the manual. I have just as much fun in it as the manual.

You can't beat neck snapping shifts and very very consistent speed on and off the track. Last track trip 3 runs were within .03 of each other.

I built it myself so can't really recommend a shop but its holding up great.

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
What kind of mannerisms does it have on the street as in bumper to bumper traffic. Not that it will see much of that but just curious. I have full understanding of most stock Ford auto trans bit I am a virgin when it comes to a street/strip or even race trans. What should I be looking for as far as convertors , valve bodies, is a 4r70 the right trans for a car that will probably only ever make 650 HP in its life time ?

slvr35th

Established Member
I also am in the market for a trans and i am in the same boat as i dont know much, but my car will be pushing 1000 with the spray on the track. If the trans acts right on the streets i will leave it in if not i will switch it out twice a year or so.

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
I also am in the market for a trans and i am in the same boat as i dont know much, but my car will be pushing 1000 with the spray on the track. If the trans acts right on the streets i will leave it in if not i will switch it out twice a year or so.

1000 you need a th400 built very well. You will loose o/d so highway/constant driving might heat up. Maybe look into a 4l80 if u want an o/d. They are basically a 400 with overdrive.

Last edited:

Blackedout

Established Member
I run a FB Performance 4STBE (4R 70 case) manual VB... BEST MOD EVER.. :D

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
What kind of mannerisms does it have on the street as in bumper to bumper traffic. Not that it will see much of that but just curious. I have full understanding of most stock Ford auto trans bit I am a virgin when it comes to a street/strip or even race trans. What should I be looking for as far as convertors , valve bodies, is a 4r70 the right trans for a car that will probably only ever make 650 HP in its life time ?

It's fine in traffic just make sure you have a big trans cooler and don't beat on it when it's hot. To me that 200-210. Which I have only seen 210 once, stuck in a traffic jam for over an hour. Most driving its 165-180. Heat kills autos.

I have a circle D converter with lock up. Multi disc lock up allows u to lock the trans under wot. Singles usually won't handle it. Stall wise I looked at my dyno, where my tq started climbing fast and flattening from the centri I stalled it there. Stall is really dependent on how much power u make. Mine is a 3700 but flashes to 4500 and 5k on the transbrake.

Valve body really depends on what u wanna do. I went full manual because I don't mind shifting it and didn't wanna mess with the computer mix up and wiring. It's the easier and simple route but now u have to shift it and add buttons for lock up and 4th.

Auto/manual will let u do both but then again u have to deal with controlling it and wiring.

Auto is well.... Auto.

4r70 wise you really only have a PA or lentech v/b. the transbrake seems to work better in the PA so I went with that but the 1/2 is a little delayed. Just gotta time the shift accordingly or which is easy. Budget with no brake you could just do a full manual transform shift kit.

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
Best mod I EVER did was the 4r70w swap.. Manual valve body so you still shift and its still very streetable since it has OD. I absolutely love it and will never go back.

f2hatch

Established Member
I keep thinking I want to make the change to auto. I am just scared I wont like it or I wont enjoy the car anymore.

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
Well if you are looking for a decent 4r70w I just pulled mine out of the Mach today, I have everything from flexplate (6 bolt) to drive shaft and brake pedal w/bracket. It's been pulled because of a internal issue that never set off a fault code (at lock up it would shutter twice and that was it) and just never really enjoyed the car with it. Pm me if you interested

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
Now you guys really have me thinking about it! I guess I'll start weighing my options a little harder now.

slvr35th

Established Member
It's fine in traffic just make sure you have a big trans cooler and don't beat on it when it's hot. To me that 200-210. Which I have only seen 210 once, stuck in a traffic jam for over an hour. Most driving its 165-180. Heat kills autos.

I have a circle D converter with lock up. Multi disc lock up allows u to lock the trans under wot. Singles usually won't handle it. Stall wise I looked at my dyno, where my tq started climbing fast and flattening from the centri I stalled it there. Stall is really dependent on how much power u make. Mine is a 3700 but flashes to 4500 and 5k on the transbrake.

Valve body really depends on what u wanna do. I went full manual because I don't mind shifting it and didn't wanna mess with the computer mix up and wiring. It's the easier and simple route but now u have to shift it and add buttons for lock up and 4th.

Auto/manual will let u do both but then again u have to deal with controlling it and wiring.

Auto is well.... Auto.

4r70 wise you really only have a PA or lentech v/b. the transbrake seems to work better in the PA so I went with that but the 1/2 is a little delayed. Just gotta time the shift accordingly or which is easy. Budget with no brake you could just do a full manual transform shift kit.

Everything you said is exactly what my tuner told me! Looks like im doing a PA with transbrake, manual VB, and lock up converter!!
Is super pumped now lol.

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
Everything you said is exactly what my tuner told me! Looks like im doing a PA with transbrake, manual VB, and lock up converter!!
Is super pumped now lol.

Or just come get mine. It will be for sale soon. Having a daughter in 6 weeks so I'm going stock and selling it.

520Terminator

Wait.....What?
Established Member
Personal preference, but I much prefer a manual to an auto. Sure autos shift faster and are more consistent, but I get more enjoyment from rowing the gears.

f2hatch

Established Member
I Think I made up mind over the winter my car is getting a meth kit, built solid and a auto. I think I will go with the 4r70w. Everyone who has one seems to love it.

Users who are viewing this thread