auto a/c. pag oil question

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i am going to recharge the system in my 2004 F-150 with refrigerant (r134a). the system is currently empty. it was discharged by a shop a couple of months ago.

prior to this, the a/c was working, but it did not feel like it was blowing quite as cold as it had been. cool, but not really "cold", esp on very hot days last summer.

i have a manifold gauge set. the system holds a 2 hour vacuum overnight. it has never been "opened" or any of the components replaced.

do i need to add pag oil in this situation?

in other words, did the evacuation/discharge/recovery process at the shop also remove the pag oil? is there any way to tell how much is in there right now?

system capacity is 8oz. and i want to try to get it to that.

thanks

MG0h3

Established Member
The oil should have stayed in the compressor. But Ive only done back yard AC work and not used a machine to evac.

Just make sure you have a good vacuum on it prior to fill

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

hotcobra03

Established Member
I wondered also. But from reading ,,installing a compressor you can add oil before install.

I don't see any oil blowing out my vacuum pump when it's running.

I'm also not a ac tech

olympic

Established Member
You generally don't lose PAG oil when venting the system through the filling valves. I'd just evac the system and refill it with the proper amount of R134a.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Our machine usually removes .15-.5 of an once of oil on a recovery. We add back .5 oz. typically because our oil also has die in it.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Many machines will remove some oil at the end of the recovery process. I usually measure it out and then put it what I removed. I would add a little to be on the safe side.

Users who are viewing this thread