Austin Dillon's wreck last night

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
not sure who's seen this. i was crazy enough to stay up and watch this and when this happened at 3 in the morning i screamed "HOLY SHIT!" i was sick to my stomach and instantly though the kid was dead. i've never seen a car come to that fast of a stop and the driver not be seriously injured. he had to have gone from 190+ to 0 in about 50-75 feet. crazy to see how shook up Dale JR and some of the other drivers were. it reminded me of Geoffrey Bodine's truck wreck back in 99 but much worse.

[youtube_browser]w7Tj0ykPvUg[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]sDWMiwN44yA[/youtube_browser]

this one shows just how violent and sudden the stop was:
[youtube_browser]9hP8iLt3aYk[/youtube_browser]

GTY_NASCAR3_150706_DG_16x9_992.jpg

1328602304784561807.jpg

150706_austindillon.jpg

1328279034153804136.jpg

austin-dillon-7-6_p3.jpg

fence3.jpg

fence10.jpg

amazing how far the safety has come in these cars. 10 years ago, the driver wouldn't have walked away from this wreck.

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
Yeah i watched that last night too. I could not believe he walked away. When all the crew members went out and then put their thumbs in the air I instantly said thought they were waving for medic's, then i realized they were actually signalling he was fine.

A big Kudo's should for to Greg Ives JR's Crew Chief. He was on the radio to the pit crew instantly not to remove him from the car, and to let the track safety personnel tend to him.

I remember SR's wreck there. My how far that sport has come.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
its odd the fence did that. most of the time cars tumble down the fence dispersing some speed...but damn did he stop quick. Luckily it was the last lap and a heck of a finish as that would have ended the race right there.

Rainmaker

2highPSI
Established Member
I stayed up to watch the race as well, and that wreck was right up there with Geoff Bodine's 2000 Daytona Wreck, or Carl Edwards wreck in 2009. So glad he walked away OK

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
maybe its just my utter disdain for him, but it really pissed me off that keselowski came in so late and so fast and hit dillon while his car was so vulnerable. i understand all the fuel/oil and debris were on the track, but he was a lap down and coming out of 4 when the wreck started. there was a good 5 seconds between dillon's car coming to rest and the 2 car coming through there. every other car managed to get whoa'd up in time.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Saw the crash last night. One of the worse I've ever seen. The fact that Austin wasn't seriously hurt is a real testament to how much safer these race cars are today.

RogueShark18

Expert Money Spender
Established Member
Absolutely glad everyone was okay. Wondering if more in car shots will come out from some of the other cars.

TCSoff

I'm watching
Established Member
As others have already said, it is amazing how well these cars are built. For Dillon to have walked away from such a horrific crash is unbelievable! Any update on the 3 people in the stands that were injured? Wonder how many more would have been injured had the race started at it's intended time?

bigdave03svt

Established Member
I think Bodines wreck was much worse and he was messed up pretty bad!.. Dillon was very lucky to go in wheels to the fence and not roof side! i think that would have been a lot worse if that was the case. Still a true testament to how well these cars are built! Logic tells us, no one should have survived that impact and he walked out like a boss! these new cars are engineering masterpieces.:bowdown:

Rct851

Established Member
Yea I've almost stopped getting goose bumps after watching it 60 times or so. Glad he's ok.

One things for sure, even the "herp derp all they do is turn left how gay" have to admit this puts into perspective how badass a left turn can be at 190 with cars all around you.

Users who are viewing this thread