ATTN: MTShambles and Iron Terp

Homebrew

Established Member
ATTN: MTShambles and Iron Terp *UPDATE*

Hey guys, I'm working on the banner with 01satinsilver, we're going to print it at the shop I work for and currently I'm working with one of our designers to recreate the logo in higher resolution. I was told that MTShambles was the designer of the MACA logo, but I should verify this with Iron Terp. I need to run something by the designer as well as the club in general I suppose. The biggest problem with recreating the logo in higher-res was the actual cobra logo, since it's kind broken up, not really solid, if you understand what i'm saying. Was this an intentional effect? The reason I ask is that I was able to provide him with a photo of an SVT Cobra banner I have and he was able to vectorize the cobra. It's much more solid than the cobra in the MACA logo. The idea was for him to use the hi-res photo I took, vectorize it and resize it as needed. Recreating the rest of the MACA logo would be fairly easy. I've seen the vectorized cobra and it looks awesome. However before we go through with this, I wanted to get your input because I don't want to step on anyone's toes here. I don't want anyone to feel like i'm ruining the design or that i'm trying to take creative control of it. Someone posted in another thread the highest-res MACA logo he knew of. It was still rather small for our purposes since we'll be blowing it up considerably. If there is some higher-res artwork than was posted, I can forward that on and go from there. If not, I need to get feedback on the cobra logo I provided. Here is the pic I gave our designer, I didn't get a chance to get the vectorized version from him today. This will give you an idea of what I'm talking about though.

IMG_0808s.jpg

The version in the current MACA logo is more broken up, almost tattered looking. I just wasn't sure if it was intentional or just what you had to work with at the time. I certainly don't want to offend anyone by changing things. If that is the way the logo was intended, would anyone mind if I had the designer try to replicate that? It obviously wouldn't be perfect, but I'm sure there would be a resemblance. Basically I just need to get some direction on where to proceed from here. The goal is to have the artwork finished by thursday so it can be printed thursday or no later than friday. That way it will be done in time for the all memebers GTG. Let me know how you feel guys.

-Kevin

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Kevin, you're not stepping on anybody's toes at all..........The logo was designed by Keith Juneau in the Univ of Md's grahic design department. He pirated the "Cobra" off of an unspecified internet site and designed the rest around it. We went through at least 10 other designs before the membership decided on the current design.

If your guy wants to sharpen up the Cobra image, I can't see any problems with that. If the design will be significantly altered with the changes, then we probably should get the MACA membership involved.

Be awesome if you could get a banner done, especially if it's by Saturday. We have about $200 in the MACA "kitty" right now and I can't think of a better way to use the funds......Let me know.

Homebrew

Established Member
Basically the only change would be the in the cobra itself. But I'll be sure to post the banner design when he's done and before we print the banner. Again, I imagine he could somewhat replicate the way the cobra image was "broken" up. I wanna be as true to the logo as possible, but wasn't sure about the way the logo currently is designed. I didn't know if the logo I pulled of my banner would provide a look that was originally intended, but not attainable at the time due to lack of a proper image of the cobra. I guess the whole association needs to see the logo i've provided and give their opinions. Again I don't want to seem like I'm steeling anyone's thunder or anything. I just want to supply large enough hi-res images to our printer so everyone feels the final result was worth it. Our shop does good work, but I'd hate for the banner to come out a dissapointment due to jaggies and such resulting from blowing the image up.

-Kevin

CobraCleric

Youngblood
Established Member
It looks awesome to me, just put outlines on the top of the tail (photo'chop', whatnot) and you'd have a complete cobra logo.
I'll pitch in for that... in fact, Billy didn't take any cash for the crab feast so i can donate to the fund!

TRBO VNM

that looks good. The Cobra was suppose to be just like on the cars and the way it was originally intended from Ford. It was probably broken up because it was taken from some place and then put through changes to make it the proper size and everything. it wasn't done for a specific reason. I think what is shown here looks great.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Kevin - First of all, thanks again to Tommy and yourself for taking this upon yourself. We've been wanting a banner for a long time! Yet another example of the MACA network working together to get things done :beer:

As far as the logo, the Cobra you posted looks (at least to me) very similar to the MACA logo's Cobra. We should try to be as true as possible to the logo's Cobra, since there was a couple-week-long process of voting for and re-designing the logo back when we first designed it. But I would also say that some minor deviations are acceptable, due to the size everything's going to have to be. I guess the term would be "as close as possible", if that makes any sense.

I provided the highest resolution versions of the logo that I had in the other thread about the banner. I do not know if Dwight may have a higher resolution version.

Let us know how it goes. Can't wait to see it on Saturday! :rockon:

Homebrew

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. I just like to tread carefully. As soon as he's done with the design, I'll post it before it's printed. I'm hoping i'll be able to post something for you guys no later than tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted.

-Kevin

Homebrew

Established Member
Here's a low-res pic of the design so far, the guy just sent it to me. Let me know what you guys think.

banner.jpg

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
I think it looks smokin personally. I like the higher res snake on there. Nice work. :beer:

Homebrew

Established Member
Rick James said:
I think it looks smokin personally. I like the higher res snake on there. Nice work. :beer:

I can't take credit for it, but glad to hear you like it. If no changes need to be made, we can most likely print this tomorrow. So I'll wait for others to chime in and get a consensus, then we'll go from there.

-Kevin

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Ummm.... Personally..... I....

LOVE IT!!

It looks great to me. Simple, but well designed and I have a feeling it will look even better in person. Very, very good job, Tommy (01satinsilver) and Kevin (Homebrew) and thank you for doing it! :rockon:

The only criticism I can come up with is lack of color. However, I refuse to put that down as an official complaint of mine.

P.S. I may just modify that pic and pop it in my sig :beer:

Last edited:

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
so is this a banner for the car windshields?? or more for a home garage/wall? either way i think it looks great

Homebrew

Established Member
Blk03SVTCobra said:
The only criticism I can come up with is lack of color. However, I refuse to put that down as an official complaint of mine.

In my discussions with Tommy, black/white/grey is what was originally discussed. I too think some color would be nice, but then it comes down to what color. Thats a simple change that won't set us back on design though. As long as we keep it simple with no more than a few colors, adding color isn't a problem. I just need to know what the final design needs to be by the end of the day tomorrow so that it's ready for printing friday. Keep the feedback coming guys.

-Kevin

Homebrew

Established Member
IronTerp said:
Kevin, you can put the colors back into the logo can't you?

Sure can. The beauty part is that once it's done, he's gonna give me the vectorized artwork. With that, the sky is the limit on what we can do with the MACA logo. Once I get the final file, I forward it on to whoever is in charge of the MACA art.

kingCOBRAsvt_99 said:
so is this a banner for the car windshields?? or more for a home garage/wall? either way i think it looks great

Right now it's intended to be for the All member GTG Saturday. Once the design is done however, people will be able to make personal banners of virtually any nature. That will be the beauty of the vectorized artwork.

-Kevin

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
awesome :rockon: Ive told people in MACA ive met personally b4 and imma say it again. I cant believe i spent 4+ years w/o being apart a website like SVTP and I wish I had been a member so I coulda been a member of MACA since day one of its founding. Cant wait to see the banner your doing a great job bro :beer:

Last edited:

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Oh, two other questions, Kevin/Tommy:

1) About what size are we talking about for the real deal?
2) Is this banner going to be reproduceable? (I for one will want at least 1 copy, and I have a feeling I will not be alone)

:beer:

Homebrew

Established Member
Blk03SVTCobra said:
Oh, two other questions, Kevin/Tommy:

1) About what size are we talking about for the real deal?
2) Is this banner going to be reproduceable? (I for one will want at least 1 copy, and I have a feeling I will not be alone)

:beer:

1. We originally decided on 3' x 15'. However, I'm interested in seeing what the artwork works out to in size. I'm just concerned that at 15' wide, there might be considerable blank space. If we can shorten it, it may decrease the price enough to be noticeable.

2. This will be totally reproduceable. It can be expensive though. I'm not saying that someone else can't do it cheaper, but the shop I work at agreed to do it for what I'm told is their cost, at about $200. But then I doubt anyone would want more than a 6' wide banner for their garage, so that would reduce the price significantly I imagine.

-Kevin

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Homebrew said:
1. We originally decided on 3' x 15'. However, I'm interested in seeing what the artwork works out to in size. I'm just concerned that at 15' wide, there might be considerable blank space. If we can shorten it, it may decrease the price enough to be noticeable.

2. This will be totally reproduceable. It can be expensive though. I'm not saying that someone else can't do it cheaper, but the shop I work at agreed to do it for what I'm told is their cost, at about $200. But then I doubt anyone would want more than a 6' wide banner for their garage, so that would reduce the price significantly I imagine.

-Kevin

1) Cool, but don't make it too small (see #2 response to your #2 response)

2) You'd be surprised what most of the die-hards will pay for and shamelessly plaster across their garages and (gasp) the inside of their homes :-D

I guess it all comes down to, it's nice to have options and so long as we have those, we will be able to personalize (cost varying, obviously) the banners (something I personally am interested in). :beer:

Homebrew

Established Member
Blk03SVTCobra said:
I guess it all comes down to, it's nice to have options and so long as we have those, we will be able to personalize (cost varying, obviously) the banners (something I personally am interested in). :beer:

When done, the options will be vast. From what i'm told, you can blow vectorized artwork up as huge as you want with no negative effects. We'll (MACA) be able to do alot with the logo in the future.

-Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread