Atari is Coming Back

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
There is a lot more truth to it then you give credit. True Atari was already in trouble for a number of reasons, but that huge wet fart called ET was indeed a huge ****ing nail in the coffin. Atari hedged their bets on it and paid millions for the naming rights, it also led to a big downturn for Atari in the industry. Then the Japanese came in and finished them off slowly, but surely.

Ever hear of a game called Pac Man?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Ever hear of a game called Pac Man?

That was another nail, terrible port of a game. Though I'd say it was far more commercially successful than ET, but they both got panned and did considerable harm to Ataris reputation. Atari later on ported it for the 5200 and did a better job the 2nd time around, but too little, too late...

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
That was another nail, terrible port of a game. Though I'd say it was far more commercially successful than ET, but they both got panned and did considerable harm to Ataris reputation. Atari later on ported it for the 5200 and did a better job the 2nd time around, but too little, too late...

E.T. gets the urban legend of being THE game that buried Atari when in fact it was the culmination of many blunders such as shitty games, over zealous sales predictions, out-of-control spending, etc.., . In the short term, yes, P.M. sold but in the long term (remember it came out in 1982) it hurt Atari because it was a garbage port and was absolutely nothing like the Namco cabinet. By the time the crash came, the 2600 had tons of crap software.

Both E.T. and Pac-Man had huge amount of unsold stock because Atari completely overestimated the interest which was there but not in the expected amounts.

People were growing wise to Atari by the time '82 turned into '83. The covers of games looked nothing like the game play and people started remembering such a fact when it came time to purchase games and software.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Which system had Galaga? I loved that shit.
Atari 7800. Various version were released on other platforms as well, including NES. Galaga was my favorite game back in the day. Mario Bros. was my second favorite.

This new Atari console is interesting, but it sure isn't cheap.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Bought my mini nes for 60$ and used it for a couple of months and sold that joker on ebay for 140$.
Atari emulator have been put for years for next to nothing. Target carries the plug into tv one with all the games for something like 40$

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Keep in mind that most people don't want to deal with ROMs. Sometimes they aren't complete or aren't the right "version" of the games or whatnot. I have the technical know-how, and I still don't like fooling with ROMs. I just want to turn it on and start playing; no "initial setup", no downloading and moving ROMs to the correct directory, etc. Not to mention I generally dislike playing games on a PC. I've always preferred a console over a PC for gaming.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Three Christmas mornings stand out to me more than any other in my childhood.

1 : Waking up and my dad had gotten an Atari 2600 and we played pong and pitfall.
2: We had Christmas at my Grandparents, and my Uncle, who is only 2 years older than me, got an NES and we played Mario Brothers and Mike Tyson's Punchout for 2 straight days and nights.
3 : I got a motorcycle.

Two of the three involved game consoles. I'm keeping that in mind with my three kids moving forward.

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
E.T. gets the urban legend of being THE game that buried Atari when in fact it was the culmination of many blunders such as shitty games, over zealous sales predictions, out-of-control spending, etc.., . In the short term, yes, P.M. sold but in the long term (remember it came out in 1982) it hurt Atari because it was a garbage port and was absolutely nothing like the Namco cabinet. By the time the crash came, the 2600 had tons of crap software.

Both E.T. and Pac-Man had huge amount of unsold stock because Atari completely overestimated the interest which was there but not in the expected amounts.

People were growing wise to Atari by the time '82 turned into '83. The covers of games looked nothing like the game play and people started remembering such a fact when it came time to purchase games and software.
And Colecovision was cleaning their clocks graphic wise.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
It's kind of ugly, yet I like the classic Atari 2600 shape and color scheme. If it comes to fruition and can be used as a streaming media hub, I'll buy one. Coming preloaded with classic games is a bonus. Classics I want to see:
Dig Dug
Frogger
Q-bert
Joust
Tank Battle
Asteroids
Pitfall
Defender
Space Invaders (of course!)
Yar's Revenge
There's no doubt enough memory and storage to house the entire Atari classic games library!
I'd love to see Sega return to the console market, too.
My favorite games for the Atari system were Pitfall and Q-Bert. I would play for hours and hours.
Sega making a come back would be pretty awesome as well.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
And Colecovision was cleaning their clocks graphic wise.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Funny thing is the Colecovision had a bigger and more powerful PCU so games would run about twice as fast as what a Atari 2600 ran. I had one since my mother was an assistant manager for a toy store back in 1983-89. And she had inside info on which was better from the get go.

Now Intellevision was a whole different level as almost all their games was more in depth and immersion heavy over the simple inputs that the paddle and joysticks that the 2600 used. But also it cost 3 times as much over a 2600 I think about $500 vs $150. My one cousin had a Intellivision with most of the games, wonder if he still has it as it probably be worth a mint in today's money.

Users who are viewing this thread