At what point do I upgrade fuel system?

saleenssc1989

Established Member
I have an 03 cobra with light mods including; Stage 5 port + plenum port from Stieg., 2.9 upper pulley, stock throttle body & cold air intake. I am actually waiting on my blower to come back from porting. while i have it off, should i, or is it even necessary to upgrade injectors and pump? I have heard many times that there is no need for fuel upgrades with my combination.
I do not plan on upgrading the blower to a whipple or KB any time soon. I just want to have the drivability there, so obviously im gonna get it dyno tuned.
Was just wanting opinions on when to upgrade fuel components.?.....thanks everyone.

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
When you have the money and time.

You can and should be fine the way you are, but as most will say..... Enough is NEVER enough. :beer:

You will wan more power at SOME point, but things change, the car may be gone by then.

Leave it the way it is for now. JMO.

:beer:

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
Need??? I dont know. Maybe, maybe not. You can always tune it back to not need them if you dont want to do them.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I would think you are out of injector and pumps.

What is your Fuel Pump Duty Cycle? I'll bet it pegs 100%.

How about Injector Duty Cycle? If your fuel pressure is not raised in the tune, I would bet they are above 95% as well.

Edit: Being from Indiana, I would look into upgrading the system and run E85.

Last edited:

mrose75

Established Member
First and foremost:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: to 04Sleeper. The most beautiful Cobra on the site.

That being said, I'm in the same boat. Just got my Cobra back and have a Stage V ported blower in the spare bedroom. I was just researching what my next step is. I have the mods in my sig. No fuel mods to speak of. I'm planning on going no further than Stage V Eaton, I've had my Cobra since 03 so the, enough is never enough doesn't apply. If it's taken me 7 years to port, I doubt I go KB or Whipple anytime soon. I was thinking SCT-2600 or 3000 MAF, injectors's, idler's, and BAP. Do I need the BAP if I go injectors or vice versa? The cheaper I can keep this upgrade and still run safe without having to hold back the better, especially when the wife sees the bill. In WA state so I'm forced to run 92 octane.

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
I'm planning on going no further than Stage V Eaton, I've had my Cobra since 03 so the, enough is never enough doesn't apply. If it's taken me 7 years to port, I doubt I go KB or Whipple anytime soon.

Your silly. :lol:

Took me 6 years to pulley. Then it was on like donkeyknog!! :rockon:

The right deal comes along, trust me, you'll be ALL over it. :beer:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
First and foremost:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: to 04Sleeper. The most beautiful Cobra on the site.

That being said, I'm in the same boat. Just got my Cobra back and have a Stage V ported blower in the spare bedroom. I was just researching what my next step is. I have the mods in my sig. No fuel mods to speak of. I'm planning on going no further than Stage V Eaton, I've had my Cobra since 03 so the, enough is never enough doesn't apply. If it's taken me 7 years to port, I doubt I go KB or Whipple anytime soon. I was thinking SCT-2600 or 3000 MAF, injectors's, idler's, and BAP. Do I need the BAP if I go injectors or vice versa? The cheaper I can keep this upgrade and still run safe without having to hold back the better, especially when the wife sees the bill. In WA state so I'm forced to run 92 octane.
Thanks man. :beer:

If I had your set up, I would get a MAFIa, 60# injectors, and BAP. Idlers are also good to have. I have seen too many break!

You will need both injectors AND BAP. You can't cancel one out with the other.

The BAP gives your pumps more headroom and the injectors give you more headroom for the injector.

You can raise the fuel pressure in the tune to 50-60 psi and effectively make the injectors flow more, but you do so by putting more supply needed from your pumps.

mrose75

Established Member
Thanks man. :beer:

If I had your set up, I would get a MAFIa, 60# injectors, and BAP. Idlers are also good to have. I have seen too many break!

You will need both injectors AND BAP. You can't cancel one out with the other.

The BAP gives your pumps more headroom and the injectors give you more headroom for the injector.

You can raise the fuel pressure in the tune to 50-60 psi and effectively make the injectors flow more, but you do so by putting more supply needed from your pumps.

OK, so BAP and injectors. MAFia or SCT-2600, big difference? And if I threw new pumps into the equation, what would change? I don't plan on doing all of that. I think that's a little out of my league as far as wrench turning goes, or moreso something I don't want to do myself. New pumps would alleviate the need for a BAP I assume.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
OK, so BAP and injectors. MAFia or SCT-2600, big difference?
Not much of a difference. Both are 90mm so no benefit there. Both extend the maximum airflow range, but the MAFIa can be adjusted as your needs change, the 2600 can't.

And if I threw new pumps into the equation, what would change? I don't plan on doing all of that. I think that's a little out of my league as far as wrench turning goes, or moreso something I don't want to do myself. New pumps would alleviate the need for a BAP I assume.
Yes. If you got GT pumps you could eliminate the BAP. But in order to do the GT pumps right, you would need to upgrade to either dual FPDM's or a single modified, Fore Hat, and upgraded wiring.

With the BAP, all you would want to do is upgrade the wiring and install the BAP. It will be plenty for your set up and is a lot easier to install.

mrose75

Established Member
Not much of a difference. Both are 90mm so no benefit there. Both extend the maximum airflow range, but the MAFIa can be adjusted as your needs change, the 2600 can't.

Yes. If you got GT pumps you could eliminate the BAP. But in order to do the GT pumps right, you would need to upgrade to either dual FPDM's or a single modified, Fore Hat, and upgraded wiring.

With the BAP, all you would want to do is upgrade the wiring and install the BAP. It will be plenty for your set up and is a lot easier to install.

Thanks, I appreciate the help. And to the OP. Sorry, didn't mean to jack your thread. My bad.:bash:

Users who are viewing this thread