At what age should your kid have a phone?

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
We got our 12yr old one last year for some of the reasons stated. She was given a short leash and rules were set. Crazy, as she was one of the last in most of her classes to have one.

Grades had to stay at "A" level.
It is my phone and she is just borrowing it. I can take it away at anytime for any reason.
If she flinches when I reach for it, it is gone.
She better answer when I call or text her.
All of her apps are approved by us.

After one year, we have not had any issues and proved to be very responsible. IMO, if your children are raised properly they will not abuse it.

To be honest, she uses her IPOD to communicate most of time with her friends. Face time is a whole other issue, and has rules for that as well.

oneslo5.0

Established Member
Why 10? Are you going to leave a 10 year old without adult supervision? They dont need one till you do and even then letting them borrow a phone for a couple hours when they are with friends at the mall is fine.

These days it is not a phone to a kid. It is a game. Text/vid chat/internet/games is 99% of what they do. For this just give them a phone to play with when they are at home.
10 was just a number I picked, honestly. I am going off a time when I had a nokia with the removable front and that was the phone, and snake was high tech. I don't have children and to be quite honest I am closer to being a child then adult, but I know it was a plus to have one early on in high school. But what is a 10 year old? Maybe I should say 7th-8th grade vs 10 years old.

I know in the 7th-8th grade I was home alone for almost 2 hours after school.

hoamskilet

Established Member
i agree with whenever they start going places without us. And it won't be a smartphone, i can guarantee that

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
I'll start considering the idea when my daughter enter high school, however like most said it'll be a maturity thing / more than likely a plain jane phone that'll be used more so just strictly for calls. No data until she can get a job and support the extra fees. I had to work all through high school to pay my car payment and cell phone bill and I think it makes a person a lot more responsible and teaches them to take care of things more.

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
I was against it for a while but the safety out weighs everything for me. I like to keep in contact when they go over a friends, walking home from the bus stop if necessary, texting, etc...so It started at the age of 9 for all three of my daughters. But mine seem to be very responsible which also helped make my decision earlier.

On the flip side...when they start getting boyfriends I'll want to smash those smart phones into a million pieces.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
Phones at those ages=sexting and nudes.

Then they end up all over the net.
Its gonna happen sooner or later but how soon is up to the parent.

Truth! Starting as early as jr high for the immature kids.

This is called being a lazy parent. Oh I cant teach my kid that doing something is wrong so Im just going to take away their ability to do said activity. If you teach your kids right then they are fine

snakedoctor

Established Member
I'm having this argument with my wife right now. My oldest turns 13 next week and he has been wanting a phone forever. My wife finally got me to agree into getting him a regular (non-internet) flip phone but now that's not good enough. I gave an inch and she's taking a mile. Now she's saying we ought go ahead and get him an iPhone. So I don't know whether to a.) get the iPhone b.) stick with the cheap flip phone or c.) forget about getting him a phone altogether

snakedoctor

Established Member
I remember when I was growing up, having your own line in the house was the thing to do. I finally talked my parents into getting my own line and when they did, my friends wouldn't call it. They kept calling my parent's line so they ended up getting rid of my line.

1hot281

Established Member
I didn't get my first phone until I was 16 or 17. I had a pager prior or that. I wouldn't get my kid a phone any earlier than 14 maybe. I don't see a reason for an eight to ten year old needing a mobile phone. We're talking about elementary school students here. They shouldn't been cruising the mall, or really anything at all, without parental supervision.

KoolPwny

Established Member
I'm having this argument with my wife right now. My oldest turns 13 next week and he has been wanting a phone forever. My wife finally got me to agree into getting him a regular (non-internet) flip phone but now that's not good enough. I gave an inch and she's taking a mile. Now she's saying we ought go ahead and get him an iPhone. So I don't know whether to a.) get the iPhone b.) stick with the cheap flip phone or c.) forget about getting him a phone altogether

Flip phone for sure

KoolPwny

Established Member
I remember when I was growing up, having your own line in the house was the thing to do. I finally talked my parents into getting my own line and when they did, my friends wouldn't call it. They kept calling my parent's line so they ended up getting rid of my line.

You can't take selfies on a land line!

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned

just get the kid an iphone, what are you worried about?

Flip phone for sure

You can't take selfies on a land line!

ok grandpa

KoolPwny

Established Member
Its called being a good parent and teaching right from wrong?

Just because you know something is right and something is wrong doesn't mean you still won't do it.

Do tweaker a know smoking meth is wrong? Of course. Does that keep them from getting high? Not necessarily.

Do sloots know sleeping around is bad for them? Most definitely. Does that stop them? Not always.

Parents can do the best job of teaching a kid everything they need to know, but every person and every kid is different so individuals handle situations very differently.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Can't track anybody on a flip phone. When my son gets a phone it will have software allowing me to track him, listen to his phone calls, read his texts, and even turn on the camera to see what he's doing. He will know I have the ability also. I really only would want to track him but hopefully just knowing I can do the rest will keep the phone asshattery to a minimum.

Users who are viewing this thread