At what age should your kid have a phone?

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
I have a step daughter who is only 5 now. I am asking for the opinions of the members hare as to what age they think it becomes appropriate for a kid to have a phone. Is it 8 , 10 , 12 or what? It has not been suggested or anything its just something I was wondering about. Serious opinions only please.

Kiohtee

Established Member
When they start staying home alone at the earliest (which could be another thread altogether). At the latest, most conservative; when they start driving.

2001GTTT

Yellow is faster
Established Member
I would say when they start going places without an adult with them all the time, like for instance if they would get dropped off at the movies with one of their friends, go to the mall, etc. Thats when I would want my kid to have one, just in case. Probably in the 10-12 range.

strict9

Established Member
We got our son a phone for Christmas for the same reasons 2001GTTT stated. He stays home alone and goes to the mall etc. Granted, it's just a basic flip phone, no texting or surfing the web. If he can prove he's responsible with it, not lose it, and keep his grades up, we are considering getting him a smart phone. Hand-me-down of course.

Edit: He's 13

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
As soon as she can pay for it herself...there werent cell phones when i was a kid...ok there was the brick lol

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
I'd say between 8~12. It's not necessary like others have mentioned. However, I can track my daughter with her smartphone in case I need too.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
As soon as she can pay for it herself...there werent cell phones when i was a kid...ok there was the brick lol
Nope, but there were payphone's everywhere. Now, not soo much.

Like some said, around 12 and up. Definitely by HS. I'll just block the data and all the crap, simple fix. I mean bill would go up about $15 a month? No big deal and would save a bunch of headaches looking for them when you pick them up from places.

Just_A_GT

Established Member
Don't have kids yet, but I'd agree with what others have said. Once they start going places on their own without other parents around (mall, movies, etc.). So I say right around 8th grade.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I told my daughter that I would get her a phone when I need to start keeping up with her. Which ended up being about ten or eleven. She went with the school to DC, and that was when I needed to keep up with her.....should have given her a gun too.

Jebadias

Established Member
I think it is really situation dependant. I don't think an age really should be defined. I would say when there is an actual need AND the child is mature enough to handle the phone.

ssssnake

Established Member
I think when they don't lose them every week. For sure, when they start going out or driving, then you can start tracking them down.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Kids do not need a phone in school. Phones in every classroom and the office the can use in an emergency. If they are at home a lot they should use the house phone. When they go out with friends with no adult supervision a basic/no text/no internet phone is fine.

If they pay for the monthly bills themselves they can have the phone of their choice as long as they do not abuse the privilege. :beer:

oneslo5.0

Established Member
I got one my Freshman year of HS, but that was when phones had JUST started to come around. I would say 10 is a good age, honestly.

truefiveo

Established Member
When your divorced and your lazy ex wife doesn't like to keep you in contact with your child on her own phone.:bored:

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Phones at those ages=sexting and nudes.

Then they end up all over the net.
Its gonna happen sooner or later but how soon is up to the parent.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I got one my Freshman year of HS, but that was when phones had JUST started to come around. I would say 10 is a good age, honestly.

Why 10? Are you going to leave a 10 year old without adult supervision? They dont need one till you do and even then letting them borrow a phone for a couple hours when they are with friends at the mall is fine.

These days it is not a phone to a kid. It is a game. Text/vid chat/internet/games is 99% of what they do. For this just give them a phone to play with when they are at home.

Almighty-One

^_^
Established Member
I would say when they start going places without an adult with them all the time, like for instance if they would get dropped off at the movies with one of their friends, go to the mall, etc. Thats when I would want my kid to have one, just in case. Probably in the 10-12 range.

same

Users who are viewing this thread