At a crossroads w/ my 04...please help.

96svtcobra1

Established Member
Can't decide what the best route to go is - maybe y'all can help. Looking for hp like everyone else. Car makes 480hp/485tq with bolt ons and pulley. About 15 psi. So I want more but don't know the best route. Choices...TVS, WHIPPLE or Stiegmeir.
I will be going to the track 6-10 times a year. Street runs occasionally :).
Want 550-600 hp but will give up a bit for safety.
Is it worth it to spend $3500 and pulley down the TVS or Whipple? Or just get the Stieg stage 7 or snakebite for $700-$1300?
I have been back and forth about this for the last few months so any help is appreciated...

Rambro

Established Member
Could always go the nitrous route. I put 603 to the ground on a 50 shot and it is pretty cheap.

This is what I plan to do as I bought my car with a kit already on it. I really want to do a return fuel system and run E85 as well with the port/spray.

Rambro

Established Member
Do you have any kind of budget for your plans? A lot of people say skip the port and go twin screw and that's all fine and dandy but if you do go T/S you might as well skip the T/S on pump gas and low boost. You will most likely get bored with that quick and want to go high boost and E85 and with that comes other expenses. Chasing horsepower gets very expensive and that's why I'm hoping the port/spray/E85 is fun enough because it's going to be within my budget.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
When you say "track" what do you mean? Drag strip?

A list of current mods would help too.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
I'd go with a Whipple. You'll make great power with any of the Whipple blowers. No need to spend any more money on your stock Eaton. Get it off and get the Twin Screw on there.

cj428mach

Established Member
I think you are gonna get to that power goal, and roughly 4 months from now be like "this thing is slow as pond water!!!" Lol.

I agree so make sure you go with the Whipple or TVS now.

I started my whipple at 13psi (approx 500rwhp) I thought that would take care of me and keep me smiling. Within a month I was going to smaller pulley. Then I maxed out what I could run on the crappy 91 octane, so torco went into the tank. Now I have e85 and started with 17psi, it was a world of difference but in 2 weeks time I'm now on 20psi and locate a 2.5-2.6" whipple pulley.

96svtcobra1

Established Member
Thanks everyone. Mods so far are 2.76 pulley, TB, Mafia, JBA shorties w/ off road x, dual heat exchanger, head cooling mod, 63 lb inj., custom tune.
Drag race track - no autocross.
Leaning towards the TVS. Need to keep the motor together and I know anything can happen - but what boost level is pushing the limit? I usually hear 17-19. What fuel mods do I need - dual pumps or just a BAP?
Thanks again for the responses. This speed and power stuff is addicting!

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
Thanks everyone. Mods so far are 2.76 pulley, TB, Mafia, JBA shorties w/ off road x, dual heat exchanger, head cooling mod, 63 lb inj., custom tune.
Drag race track - no autocross.
Leaning towards the TVS. Need to keep the motor together and I know anything can happen - but what boost level is pushing the limit? I usually hear 17-19. What fuel mods do I need - dual pumps or just a BAP?
Thanks again for the responses. This speed and power stuff is addicting!

I just done the tvs and you have the same injectors as I do. With the tvs it is easier to work on with the removable elbow as well. I skipped the BAP as me personally seen that as a band aid, so I went with a hat and pumps all while staying returnless. I'm not 100% sure but it seems my fpdm is going into thermal shutdown, so my next step is either running an extra fpdm or going return. I decided to go return and I also made it e-85 compatible so in the future I can run it. good luck

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
If its only drag race and street runs, then i'd buy the biggest blower you can afford, pulley it for the boost that you can afford the supporting mods for. Then as you save up to spend more on fuel, clutch, tires, etc...you can up the boost as needed with a pulley change.

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
If your gonna be doing more dragracing applications get a 2.9 whipple and an E85 tune...that bitch will scream. The TVS or 2.3 will also make big power with E85 but can't do the higher boost the 2.9 is capable of. Another route and the cheapest big power mod would be a two stage nitrous setup with the ported eaton. You'll need more injector and fuel or a standalone setup like the NX Safe but on a 175 shot you'll see around 650-700rwhp and even higher torque. If you do the standalone you can run 93 in the fuel tank and C16 or similar in the nitrous cell. A word of warning though you might want to consider some ARP headstuds if you go the big spray route.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Go ahead and delete stiegmeir off your list of choices. Either the TVS or Whipple will get you where you want to be with room to grow if you decide you want more.

Another ditto! If you're wanting something more than a street machine.

Users who are viewing this thread