Asked to relocate to Australia (Melbourne) Should I ?

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Normally I'm all about family and having kids in your life, ect. But it sounds like the only reason you two aren't already married after 4yrs together is that you didn't feel strongly enough about each other to do it. To me that sounds like a relationship headed nowhere, so if that's the only thing holding you back, I say go for it. By the way, I know all about long term ex pat postings. Not because I've done it, because it's one of the software services my company sells. Many times as part of your companies mobility policy, a visit will be paid for ahead of you making your decision, depending on how high up you are in your organization. In addition, you can probably get them to pay for the storage of your Mustang while your gone. And I would ask for one funded trip home per year - I could go on and on. It's amazing how complex the policies can get - and how flexible they can be for the right person. It's really just like negotiating a position with a new company.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Just remember what you have and have not in Australia.

Have, high gas prices.
Food costs higher.
Housing "may" be lower, depending on where you are coming from. Since I would be leaving Los Angeles they would be much higher.

No guns. Ever.
Super high import duties. Especially on cars. Car parts too.

Australia has the Funnel Web Spider. It make the Brown Recluse look like a little girl. Plus many other weird and nasty critters.

Plus I have no idea what property taxes, sales taxes, income taxes and any other taxes are like.

Better find out.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
OP, I would go.

You're not married. Go.

She shouldn't abandon her kid and has no business being serious with you in the first place. Her kid should be her focus, not a shack-up. Go and find someone in Australia with no baggage and live your life.

lol really, so all single mothers out there dating are looking just to shack up?

Torchy

Established Member
Agreed with most. Not only do you take the position but negotiate it! Make it worth your sacrifices. Also like Fuzzy said, breaking it off with the GF is only short term. The aussies will always be there.

Machdup1

Established Member
Lived in Melbourne (South Yarra) for two years. Do it now. Melbourne is an incredible city. It is an opportunity of a lifetime. Take it and run with it unless marriage is part of your plan.

BTW, South Yarra around Chapel Street is where you want to live if you move there.

Last edited:

fangstang

Established Member
That would be an easy choice for. I would never raise someone else's child. Ever. You're not there yet?

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Currently I'm in International Sales based in Houston, I'm in Munich Germany for a industry trade show. During a lunch my boss asks me to put my resume in for a position that is open in Australia.

Background,

I'm not married but have a live in GF. No kids (together) but she has a daughter from a previous marriage and she lives with her father.

I'm 36 and make pretty good money alone, 6 figures. She's a dentist and makes about the same as I. I really have no financial reason to re-locate, except the life experience.

I discussed it with her this evening, she doesn't want to leave her kid, this kinda puts me in a tough position, because I want to go.

C'mon guys give me your insight. I do love this girl, but I have to think of me too, as well as my career, this would be a huge increase in salary and career growth.

Aussie Gun Laws are terrible.

if thats not an issue for you, have at it.

I personally wouldn't even live in a state where i didn't have the right to defend myself.

chrisheltra

Established Member
Aussie Gun Laws are terrible.

if thats not an issue for you, have at it.

I personally wouldn't even live in a state where i didn't have the right to defend myself.

How about knives and fists? Are they banned as well? You can defend yourself with more than just guns. The fact that they dont have guns is a foolish reason not to live in Australia for a few years. lol

Zemedici

Established Member
Get a kangaroo assassin sidekick. Whambam, he's security and a great friend at the same time.

RockStarKick

Established Member
This is a thread I can actually chime in on and legitimately help somebody.

Was in a similar situation coming out of college in 2000.....only no kids. Got to travel around western europe in very nice living situations with an expense account for work for about a year and a half. Best decision I ever made. Saw a ton of historical things, experienced Oktoberfest in Munich, Ibiza in Spain, all of Italy, ect.

Fast forward to 2007 and I had the opportunity yet again, in Sydney and then on to New Zealand.... only this time the new GF has a kid. I passed on it due to her situation and my "want" to stay with her. BAD decision. I broke things off about a year later.

Today, at 37, I still DEEPLY regret that choice....and im not a man who regrets ANYTHING for the most part.

DO IT. Tell her the truth. This is a ONCE in a lifetime opportunity for you. The simple fact is this: You're only young once, and it goes by incredibly fast. Get over there, immerse yourself in the culture, and for f**ks sake SLAY some of that GORGEOUS AUSSIE AZZ!!!!

You've got the rest of your life to play "responsible family man"....hit Australia and dont look back!! Oh, and POST PICS!!

Thank you sir, some great advice here.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
How about knives and fists? Are they banned as well? You can defend yourself with more than just guns. The fact that they dont have guns is a foolish reason not to live in Australia for a few years. lol

It's principle.

And to quote Biggy...

"Stupid mother****ers want to try to use Kung-Fu / Instead of a MAC-10, he tried scrapping / Slugs in his back and that's what the **** happens."

You can be as bad as you want.. Solid muscle and some 130lbs jackass with a rod who doesn't give two ****s about anything will smoke your ass.

Machdup1

Established Member

I've walked the streets of downtown Melbourne at 3:00 am and I was the scariest thing out there. I didn't see a thing in two years that bothered me in the least. Except maybe how Australians drive. At least they have some cool cars

Users who are viewing this thread