Asked to relocate to Australia (Melbourne) Should I ?

RockStarKick

Established Member
Currently I'm in International Sales based in Houston, I'm in Munich Germany for a industry trade show. During a lunch my boss asks me to put my resume in for a position that is open in Australia.

Background,

I'm not married but have a live in GF. No kids (together) but she has a daughter from a previous marriage and she lives with her father.

I'm 36 and make pretty good money alone, 6 figures. She's a dentist and makes about the same as I. I really have no financial reason to re-locate, except the life experience.

I discussed it with her this evening, she doesn't want to leave her kid, this kinda puts me in a tough position, because I want to go.

C'mon guys give me your insight. I do love this girl, but I have to think of me too, as well as my career, this would be a huge increase in salary and career growth.

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
Do it

If you cant imagine living without your gf then stay, if not she's not the one for you anyways and you'll be kicking yourself for not taking the job when you inevitably break up

Last edited:

RockStarKick

Established Member
Do it

If you cant imagine living without your gf then stay, if not she's not the one for you anyways and you'll be kicking yourself for not taking the job when you inevitably break up

I hear ya, man. Been with her for 4 yrs, so it's not an easy decision.

XtraTQ

Established Member
I worked down in Melbourne for 2 weeks this past Fall. I really enjoyed my time down there. I will say, if you take the job make sure it's a fairly significant pay increase. Australia is really expensive. And also, there are speed cameras everywhere. I received 2 tickets in the mail a couple months after I got back to the states, each for around $180 for going the equivalent of 7 mph over the speed limit. Leaving the GF would be tough as well. Good luck in your decision!

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Pics of said gf? To better assess and weigh in risks and benefits.

I would probably take a flight out there and take a look around and see if its a place you will be comfortable being in

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
**** yeah, I'd do it. Single and well-off in a country where women outnumber the men?

357 Scantily Clad Australian Women Just Set A New World Record

357-scantily-clad-australian-women-just-set-a-new-world-record.jpg

RockStarKick

Established Member
I worked down in Melbourne for 2 weeks this past Fall. I really enjoyed my time down there. I will say, if you take the job make sure it's a fairly significant pay increase. Australia is really expensive. And also, there are speed cameras everywhere. I received 2 tickets in the mail a couple months after I got back to the states, each for around $180 for going the equivalent of 7 mph over the speed limit. Leaving the GF would be tough as well. Good luck in your decision!

Housing and car would be paid for while I was there, estimated 2-3 years, with options to stay.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
You're not married. Go.

She shouldn't abandon her kid and has no business being serious with you in the first place. Her kid should be her focus, not a shack-up. Go and find someone in Australia with no baggage and live your life.

Last edited:

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
You're going to be eaten by a spider.

Sounds like an awesome opportunity. I'll do it if you dont want to lol.

RockStarKick

Established Member
Thanks for the insight guys, I'm going to stew on this a little more. I still have 10 more days here in Munich to discuss with my boss.

I told the gf to think about it some more,, but I really want to go. #firstworldproblems. Lol.

VenomVeins

Established Member
This is a thread I can actually chime in on and legitimately help somebody.

Was in a similar situation coming out of college in 2000.....only no kids. Got to travel around western europe in very nice living situations with an expense account for work for about a year and a half. Best decision I ever made. Saw a ton of historical things, experienced Oktoberfest in Munich, Ibiza in Spain, all of Italy, ect.

Fast forward to 2007 and I had the opportunity yet again, in Sydney and then on to New Zealand.... only this time the new GF has a kid. I passed on it due to her situation and my "want" to stay with her. BAD decision. I broke things off about a year later.

Today, at 37, I still DEEPLY regret that choice....and im not a man who regrets ANYTHING for the most part.

DO IT. Tell her the truth. This is a ONCE in a lifetime opportunity for you. The simple fact is this: You're only young once, and it goes by incredibly fast. Get over there, immerse yourself in the culture, and for f**ks sake SLAY some of that GORGEOUS AUSSIE AZZ!!!!

You've got the rest of your life to play "responsible family man"....hit Australia and dont look back!! Oh, and POST PICS!!

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
on a side note, Can i have a job with you?

Munich with options to work in Australia? Sign me up! hahaha

Fuzzy Logic

ʎʇıןɐǝɹ ɹnoʎ ʇɔǝɾǝɹ ן
Established Member
i'd do it. there's more women out there. ending the 4 yr. thing with your current g/f would suck; but the personal and financial growth should outweigh the short term negatives. don't want to look back and think about an opportunity you missed to advance yourself.

who knows, because you brought up this whole thing.. she could end it with you. then you'd be up the creek without a better paying career AND a g/f you chose to keep over the job.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Do it

THIS!

Housing and car would be paid for while I was there, estimated 2-3 years, with options to stay.

Depending on the above, I'd already be gone.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I would have said when do i start as soon as I heard about it. Ending the relationship will be tough, but the experience will more than make up for it imho.

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
Dude she has a kid. Don't take a chick with kids that serious. You need to take this opportunity bro.

Users who are viewing this thread