ARP Studs Or Stock Head Bolts

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
Ok i put my heads on my built motor and i installed some ARP head studs. Well i talked to someone who put studs in there motor also in a Lightning. He said the only thing that concerned him was if he popped a head gasket that the motor would have to be removed in order to change the gasket. I do not want to pul my motor again in the event of a head gasket failure. So should remove my ARP studs and put some new stock bolts back in? I used the stock replacement gaskets and torqued them to 105. What you think?

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
i havent seen anyone having issues with lifting heads on these motors so i could say just go with some ARP bolts and remove the studs. it would be horrible if you had to pull the motor just to replace a head gasket. unless you plan on throwing ungodly amounts of boost at it i would ditch the studs.
good luck :beer:

auyon

svt freak
Established Member
I've replaced about 8 head gaskets with studs with out removing the motor. sure its a bit more difficult. but it can be done.

ACSVT

1st Ford
Established Member
I have my heads off right now, and went with OEM headbolts to put them back on with. Heard its quite hard to deal with the studs with the engine still in the truck.

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
So if head studs on our motors don't really do much to eliminate blown head gaskets, why would anyone use them anyway?
I know in other types of motors, when installed properly, they help greatly in avoiding blown head gaskets.
Why do our motors still blow gaskets with them installed?
Is it because of tuning issues?

Users who are viewing this thread