Army replacing ACU's with Multicam for Afghanistan!

thirtytwovalve

Steam Rollin 335's
Established Member
Awesome. I've been a fan of the multicam since the first time I saw it. I wonder how long until they decide to distribute it to everyone... or if they're planning on using both the standard ACU and the milticam uniforms for different environments like the Marine Corps does.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Awesome. I've been a fan of the multicam since the first time I saw it. I wonder how long until they decide to distribute it to everyone... or if they're planning on using both the standard ACU and the milticam uniforms for different environments like the Marine Corps does.

This will probably be the scenario since the ACU is so new and an effective camo pattern in some instances. Im a big proponent of this. Dunno why its taken 5 years though

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
This will probably be the scenario since the ACU is so new and an effective camo pattern in some instances. Im a big proponent of this. Dunno why its taken 5 years though

Ditto. I expect them to hold on to both for a while.

Multicam had already been issued to two units a few months back according to the emails i get from military.com.

It's going to be a pain having to buy new shit though.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member

Multicam had already been issued to two units a few months back according to the emails i get from military.com.

Yea from what I understand they gave them out to field test it...

I say we need to do away with ACU's in general. They just dont do what they where intended too!

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member

Sure the ACU blends in when you are standing in a big pile of grey rocks with maybe a little bit of bluish tinted moss dispersed through out! I agree though the big heads will likely make us use both for a few more years.

This summer while I was at Ft. Benning I saw some soldiers with multi cam uniforms. Not sure what unit they were with.

It will suck getting all the right camo pattern equipment again. Durring the change to ACU's I had some things with ACU, DCU, BDU and olive drap. It was ridiculous. However, if you save your reciepts from all the things that you purchase military clothing and to some extent gear you can claim it on your taxes and get the money back at the end of the year.

Yea from what I understand they gave them out to field test it...

I say we need to do away with ACU's in general. They just dont do what they where intended too!

+65,000. Get rid of the ACU all together, its a shitty camo pattern and a horrid design of a uniform that barely lasts longer than a week out in the field.

Graves

Established Member
An Army SGT friend of mine at work showed me this article in the Army Times on Friday. He was excited about it, and it will work better for the troops. Very cool.

MPRT_H8R

Established Member
i love the Army ACU and the new ones you are getting are pretty cool too. i had hoped the navy was going to just get ACU's because thats what sailors are wearing on IA assignments.....but NOPE! the navy went retarded and gave us blue digital cammies.....sailors look ****ing stupid, i hate the "navy working uniform" NWU's. and they are expensive too......

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
i love the Army ACU and the new ones you are getting are pretty cool too. i had hoped the navy was going to just get ACU's because thats what sailors are wearing on IA assignments.....but NOPE! the navy went retarded and gave us blue digital cammies.....sailors look ****ing stupid, i hate the "navy working uniform" NWU's. and they are expensive too......

your not whislting dixie when you say they are spendy.. I've only bought 1 set of them so far, and still spent 200 bucks..

garbonzo1991gt

Flying Monkey Commander
Established Member
I got pissed when they did away with the one piece flight suits pilots.. I mean what the **** good does ACU camouflage do in a dark green helicopter... Not to mention that the pattern doesn't blend with anything... except for that couch photo circulating the internet. I remember flying at 2000ft over Baghdad and how easy it was to spot dismounted patrols in and around the city... ACUs were some Generals OER bullet and CEO position when he retires... Should of just stuck with the DCUs.

The new Digicam looks like it might work... We'll see. I'll let you guys know this summer....

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Sure the ACU blends in when you are standing in a big pile of grey rocks with maybe a little bit of bluish tinted moss dispersed through out! I agree though the big heads will likely make us use both for a few more years.

This summer while I was at Ft. Benning I saw some soldiers with multi cam uniforms. Not sure what unit they were with.

It will suck getting all the right camo pattern equipment again. Durring the change to ACU's I had some things with ACU, DCU, BDU and olive drap. It was ridiculous. However, if you save your reciepts from all the things that you purchase military clothing and to some extent gear you can claim it on your taxes and get the money back at the end of the year.

+65,000. Get rid of the ACU all together, its a shitty camo pattern and a horrid design of a uniform that barely lasts longer than a week out in the field.

Yeah lol i remember looking like a NG dude, having an ALICE pack wearing a BDU wet weather shit with ACU's lol stupid stupid Army. However the first gen ACU's held up pretty well for me, i just rotated uniforms every two days when i could downrange and made sure i hung them up as well. THe only problem was the velcro failing, but that was due to the shitty Haj laundry service we had. Other than that, ive been pretty happy with the ACU's but would much rather be in BDU/DCU style again with buttons.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Yeah lol i remember looking like a NG dude, having an ALICE pack wearing a BDU wet weather shit with ACU's lol stupid stupid Army. However the first gen ACU's held up pretty well for me, i just rotated uniforms every two days when i could downrange and made sure i hung them up as well. THe only problem was the velcro failing, but that was due to the shitty Haj laundry service we had. Other than that, ive been pretty happy with the ACU's but would much rather be in BDU/DCU style again with buttons.

Yea lack of buttons annoys me. The cargo pockets are useless with the velcro, not to mention the sounds it makes all the time and getting stuck to other soldiers. Personally, I think we should still have DCU's in Iraq and the Multi cam every where else. I am still holding on to two pairs of DCU's!

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member

I think those uniforms are pretty hideous but I always wondered why you would need camouflage on a ship anyways...I think the 'ship' part gives away your position.

Yea lack of buttons annoys me. The cargo pockets are useless with the velcro, not to mention the sounds it makes all the time and getting stuck to other soldiers. Personally, I think we should still have DCU's in Iraq and the Multi cam every where else. I am still holding on to two pairs of DCU's!

Yeah Id prefer the buttons. This past summer I spent a lot of time with some British soldiers. Their uniforms are a lot like the multicam but instead of velcro they have plastic buttons. Much quieter and easier to repair.

Ive had velcro wear out on a few of my cargo pockets on my trousers. Theyre pretty much worthless then.

MPRT_H8R

Established Member
I think those uniforms are pretty hideous but I always wondered why you would need camouflage on a ship anyways...I think the 'ship' part gives away your position.

i think the navy needed a BDU type uniform, but these things are just ugly and so non-functional. some where in Washington D.C. there is a guy getting an award for "creating" this shit uniform that we HAVE to buy and wear. i think we sould have just saved the tax payers a shit load of money and used what was alreay in the system....Blue BDU's just like the Coast Guard wears.

if i ever go back to iraq hopefully ill get to wear the new uniform that replaces the ACU's.

all you guys stay safe out there serving our country~! thanks:beer:

R1der

SVT Vet
Established Member
I miss the one piece flight suits those things were great and i miss the ABDU's now all they let us wear is A2CU's they get really dirty really fast unlike the other uniforms we have had i cant wait til they come out with a multi cam flight suit

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Velcro on the ACU is by far the weak point IMO, all my ACU litterally has no go velcro left, everything just kind of flaps and dont stick lol...waiting for my clothing allowance to buy a couple new pairs! I wish we could still DX these things!

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
You want to talk a bout a shitty uniform........ The ABU, this thing is a heavier version of the winter weight bdu with more pockets. Don't try and get these online though because the sizes/color are always different.

To the Navy guys do they actually use the blue camo while on the ships? Why the hell would you want blue camo on if you happened to be the man over board.......

MPRT_H8R

Established Member
You want to talk a bout a shitty uniform........ The ABU, this thing is a heavier version of the winter weight bdu with more pockets. Don't try and get these online though because the sizes/color are always different.

To the Navy guys do they actually use the blue camo while on the ships? Why the hell would you want blue camo on if you happened to be the man over board.......

the color...which is hideous, isnt really the issue if you fall off the ship. unless you have signaling device you are pretty much screwed~! the problem with this uniform besides being ugly is that it is non-functional, uncomfortable, over-priced and just a piece of shit. the whole concept of the uniform is rediculous......blue digital camo, elastic built in to the waist band, the arms are too small to wear rolled up, it is box cut so you look fat in it and you have to wear a shiny silver belt buckle....what is the point in having a shiny belt buckle with a cammie uniform. im also sick of people from other branches making fun of the navy because of our uniforms~!:cuss:

Sapperstang

Established Member
Yet it still has zippers and velcro. They need to go back to buttons and sew on shit.

Users who are viewing this thread