Are you guys using your Front License Plate??

W30bob

Established Member
Hi Guys,

My dealer has ordered me a front license plate bracket, or holder, or whatever you want to call it for my new Cobra. Are you guys running the front plate in states that require it, or are you just waiting for smokey to give you a ticket? I hate to drill into that beautiful bumper cover, but here in Maryland you have to have two plates on the vehicle. I'm going to leave it off until I get my first ticket, but I was just wondering what you guys were doing in the same situation?

thanks,
bob

Juiced-03

Established Member
gone over 2 years without it and no tickets. Cobra is also my DAILY driver

I told the dealer I would not buy the car if they drilled holes in my bumper.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Connecticut doesn't really reinforce the front plate law. It's required but I'd say about 30-40% of vehicles don't have front plates. I never used the front plate on my Cobra. Only because it looks so hideous there. LOL!

Cantoodler

Your Face
Established Member
if you do get a ticket get two sided tape to stick it on there with fake screws and take a picture:D
and no i have no front liscense plate these sn95 cobras look like crap with them

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
DON'T DO IT! put your plate down by the HE like some have done or get the bracket that places the plate in front of the bumper, I'm sure someone will post the link. I just took my plate off and have four ugly holes I have to plug up.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Funny seeing this thread! I have been driving around w/o the front plate for over two years now, and had never been stopped....up till this past weekend. Wasn't doing anything wrong at all. Just out for a Sunday drive w/ my son, and the terd pulls me over. I asked him what he was pulling me over for, and he said - no front plate. I told him that's because I don't have a bracket! So he let me off with a warning, and said to take care of it. I think it is the most ridiculous law there is! And yes, it would look like hell on there.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Yeah, the guy who had my Cobra before me put one on for absolutly no damn reason, and now I am stuck with it until I can have my whole front bumper painted due to the scratches and holes that it made.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
I guess I'm one of the few who got hasseled by the cops. Needless to say mine got put on about 6 months after I bought the snake. :shrug:

hmwave

Established Member
Originally posted by Black2003Cobra
I think it is the most ridiculous law there is! And yes, it would look like hell on there.

I agree with you.

Reason they mandate it is to provide a metallic surface to bounce radar off. Not having a front plate makes it harder for them to get a stable speed reading.

"Do you know what speed you were doing Sir?"
"No, and neither do you as I don't have a front plate!"

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally posted by hmwave

Reason they mandate it is to provide a metallic surface to bounce radar off. Not having a front plate makes it harder for them to get a stable speed reading.

I am not sure that I want someone who can't hit the broad side of something the size of a car with a radar gun carrying a weapon.

:-D

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
I won't run one until I get a ticket (or 2 or 3) :-D

If you decide you need a front plate, buy THIS one. It attaches to the car with existing fasteners and requires NO drilling. My brother has one on his Cobra and it's a nice piece.

-Greg

W30bob

Established Member
Top_Fuel,

Now that's a good idea! I can make one of those for almost nothing, and I won't have to drill any holes in my fascia....THANKS!

bob

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by 03yllwguy
DON'T DO IT! put your plate down by the HE like some have done or get the bracket that places the plate in front of the bumper, I'm sure someone will post the link. I just took my plate off and have four ugly holes I have to plug up.
It looks better down there but you're blocking a bit of (important) air flow to the HE. Heat is the Cobra's worse enemy. Some will certainly say it only blocks about 10-15% of the HE but that's 10-15% too much IMO. More cooling is needed, not less.
;-)

KDog

Established Member
funny this post came up today. I don't have one on there for the aesthetics. I came out of work today (on a military base even) and found that some asswipe decided it would be cool to write my license plate number IN MUD where it should be. I'm pretty pissed at the moment.

hmwave

Established Member
Originally posted by Hissman
I am not sure that I want someone who can't hit the broad side of something the size of a car with a radar gun carrying a weapon.

:-D

:)
It's nothing to do with skill, it's having a vertical metal surface to return the signal. The front of a car without a plate is a poor reflector.

For a while now I've been toying with the idea of fabricating a hinged contraption that would conceal the plate up inside the HE or radiator space in a horizontal configuration to have zero effect on air flow. The plate would mount on the hinge with an operating cable that runs into the driver area, say down by the hood release. Pulling the cable would operate the hinge and rotate the plate into full view.
I took a quick look at the front of the car but I can't see an obvious place to mount such a device as the plate is too big.

Would be great though. Get pulled over for no front plate and tell the officer you don't understand what the problem is.
"Sorry officer, you must have missed it".

Problem is if the cop wises up you will probably become the proud owner of both the front plate ticket and the smart ass ticket! :bash:

hmwave

Established Member
Originally posted by Zinc03Cobra
HELL NO.. nuff said.. i'd pay the fine before I ever put that plate on.

Surely the tickets are registered and the cop can call in to see if you've had a front plate violation before, right?

I'd have to assume that a series of front plate tickets get progressively worse. Anyone know if that's true, or if you can just keep paying the $80'ish (WA state) fine forever more?

bluntman

Established Member
don't you just get a fix-it ticket for a no front plate? good thing i work for the county and am buddies with the office deputy :) has already helped out once on a parking ticket!!

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
Greg thanks for the link. I might get that for my cobra. My cobra does not have front plates at this time. I do worry..if I do get stop for no front plates it is a fix-it ticket plus a $100.00 fine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread