are west point cadets considered higher ranking than enlisted?

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Candidates dont have any authority while at OCS, so I would assume a Cadet is the same while there.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
This:

THE GENERAL
Leaps tall buildings with a single bound.
Is more powerful than a locomotive.
Is faster than a speeding bullet.
Walks on water.
Gives policy to GOD.

THE COLONEL
Leaps short buildings with a single bound.
Is more powerful than a switch engine.
Is just as fast as a speeding bullet.
Walks on water if the sea is calm.
Talks with GOD.

THE LIEUTENANT COLONEL
Leaps short buildings with a running start and favorable winds.
Is almost as powerful as a switch engine.
Is faster than a speeding BB.
Walks on water in indoor swimming pool.
Talks with GOD if special request is approved.

THE MAJOR
Barely clears Quonset hut.
Looses tug of war with switch engine.
Can fire a speeding bullet.
Swims well.
Is occasionally addressed by GOD.

THE CAPTAIN
Makes high marks when trying to leap building.
Gets run over by locomotive.
Can sometimes handle a gun without inflicting self injury.
Dog paddles.
Talks to animals.

THE FIRST LIEUTENANT
Runs into buildings.
Recognizes locomotives two out of three times.
Is not issued ammunition.
Can stay afloat if properly instructed in the use of Mae West.
Talks to walls.

THE SECOND LIEUTENANT
Falls over doorstep when trying to enter building.
Bays “Look at the Choo-Choo.”
Wets himself with a water pistol.
Plays in mud puddles.
Mumbles to himself.

THE NON-COMMISSIONED OFFICER
Lifts buildings and walks under them.
Kicks locomotives off the tracks.
Catches speeding bullets in his teeth and eats them.
Freezes water with a single glance.
HE IS GOD.

LOL at the 2d LT...describes a few I've known perfectly.

Now THAT is getting printed and posted at work! It's ok, I work with mostly 0-4 and 0-5 pilots with good senses of humor!

usmcrebel

Established Member
I would like to see a Cadet try and bitch me out. Hell, I wouldn't take that crap from a full bird Colonel. Respect goes both ways.

I didn't take crap from anyone didn't matter the rank...i didn't let anyone push me around regardless of rank.

With as much time and as many stripes as you have you could get away with that. An E4 would be an E3 in two blinks of an eye, or less, if he tried to pull anything like that.

worked out for me, I never backed down on somthing i knew was right.

Obviously an E-4 would be out of his/her mind if they thought that would be a good idea.

Or they had balls to stand up for whats right...If your doing it to be a douche then you get whats coming to you.

Exactly. But I was pointing out that what he was saying is UNCOMMON and not possible to the regular enlisted person in the military. The way I read it if I was a young person ready to join the military I could tell someone to **** off if they were violating the UCMJ and that just isn't the case. Anyone with stripes can lie and get away with anything they want to get away with (happens more often than people want to admit) and there isn't anything you can do about it if you don't have as many stripes. That is an unarguable FACT in the US Military.

Ran into this amny a time, finally got sick of it got into a lets see who can yell louder. You don't screw with me or my family i will own your soul. had an E9 not pay me for 3 months...my senator won happens to be the chairman of the arms committee.

Marc

Established Member
Did he work at finance? Just curious how an E-9 can not pay you?

Exactly. Because a E9 canNOT take pay from you. Matter of fact it has to be a Officer (commander) and depending on the offenders' rank, will determine what rank the Officer has to be. And normally a Commander ONLY takes rank, pay, assigns additional duty, etc...under the advicement of the Legal Office. Commanders are NOT required to listen to the Legal Office, but they would be morons if they did.

And it you lost 3 months base pay, you had to of been charged with some kind of crime under the UCMJ and probably offered a suspended bust...normally you are charged with a Crime and given a Article 15 for this. So did you receive a Article 15?

I would like to know why and how you thought a E9 took your pay. A E9 can of course recommend it to the Commander, but he has ZERO authority in taking your pay.

Of course, I am talking from the AF side of the house.

I am pretty sure there is more to this story that we don't know...

Marc

Established Member

Even if the E9 worked in Finance, he wouldn't of been the decision factor in just randomly taking his pay.

Because a E9 canNOT take pay from you. Matter of fact it has to be a Officer (commander) and depending on the offenders' rank, will determine what rank the Officer has to be. And normally a Commander ONLY takes rank, pay, assigns additional duty, etc...under the advicement of the Legal Office. Commanders are NOT required to listen to the Legal Office, but they would be morons if they did.

And it you lost 3 months base pay, you had to of been charged with some kind of crime under the UCMJ and probably offered a suspended bust...normally you are charged with a Crime and given a Article 15 for this. So did you receive a Article 15?

I would like to know why and how you thought a E9 took your pay. A E9 can of course recommend it to the Commander, but he has ZERO authority in taking your pay.

Last edited:

blackfang

Established Member
The Marine Corps and Navy it can be an OIC as well the Commander. Either way a SgtMaj or a Master Chief does not have ANY authority to take pay.

There has to be more to the story.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Even if the E9 worked in Finance, he wouldn't of been the decision factor in just randomly taking his pay.

Because a E9 canNOT take pay from you. Matter of fact it has to be a Officer (commander) and depending on the offenders' rank, will determine what rank the Officer has to be. And normally a Commander ONLY takes rank, pay, assigns additional duty, etc...under the advicement of the Legal Office. Commanders are NOT required to listen to the Legal Office, but they would be morons if they did.

I know an enlisted member can't take pay.

I know of one instance where an Airman in my squadron was overpaid for about 2 years on BAS and he kept it on the down low. One day he went to finance and the NCO helping him discovered the error, so they took action to re-coupe his indebtedness...all at once, so he didn't get paid anything for over a month. He was flaming mad at finance and how an NCO garnished his pay (or so he thought). So I could see how certain pay issues may make someone think another enlisted member yields power over their pay as far as taking it.

If it was NJP for an Article-15 the most a commissioned officer who must have administrative control over the member and be on G-series orders can actually take is 1/2 base pay for 2 months. The UCMJ doesn't allow for more in terms of pay forfeiture and it would not pass legal review at any DoD JAG.

A lot of enlisted also think that any commissioned officer can impose NJP, most can only recommend just like enlisted. If a certain commander doesn't have the grade required to impose the punishment on a member that is needed, it is elevated to the next level of leadership that has the authority an is on G-series orders. Had to coordinate a few Article 15s this way when our acting commander (a Captain) on G-series orders didn't have enough bite to correct the member, so an O-6 at the Group did.

usmcrebel

Established Member

Exactly. Because a E9 canNOT take pay from you. Matter of fact it has to be a Officer (commander) and depending on the offenders' rank, will determine what rank the Officer has to be. And normally a Commander ONLY takes rank, pay, assigns additional duty, etc...under the advicement of the Legal Office. Commanders are NOT required to listen to the Legal Office, but they would be morons if they did.

Typo E8 and admin...did not submit request for pay for 3 months. So it wasn't really a taking of pay but never even submitting the request.

cobrkilrl

Established Member
Cadets have no authority over anyone, basically they are like Privates in basic training. Untill they receive their commission they arent anything to anyone.

^^^^^^^This is correct. As a retired Master sergeant and Master Medical Technician in the USAF, I took and did not take crap from anyone except my Chief Nurse. She was God! Cadets of any branch do not have authority or rank over an enlisted NCO. But respect is a two way street. Had any of my NCO's showed disrespect to any cadet in the line of duty, then there would be hell to pay and vis versa.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Typo E8 and admin...did not submit request for pay for 3 months. So it wasn't really a taking of pay but never even submitting the request.

If it was in conjunction with a promotion to E-4 or below I could see this happening. It has happened to Air Force people as well where a promotion roster gets jacked up and they are not added during their promotion month and they have to wait until a subsequent month or so to get their pay increase (although when they do receive it, they eventually get back pay.) In that case I can see how an enlisted admin guy can affect your pay.

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
If you are SMP, you are an E-5 grade on paperwork and AKO only but command no actual power in the army. Cadets are basically in some gray area and dont even exist to the army really.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
If you are SMP, you are an E-5 grade on paperwork and AKO only but command no actual power in the army. Cadets are basically in some gray area and dont even exist to the army really.

Ditto. You technically get categorized as an E-5 when dealing with pay, but you hold no command over anyone.

However, I have seen drill sergeants make privates salute cadets if that cadet is shadowing an officer at DCLT.

It works both ways though. I've seen cadets who thought they were better than lower enlisted and I've seen lower enlisted who thought they were better than cadets.

In hindsight I guess it's like arguing over who finished 9th out of a 10 man race.

Also, at any training, a cadet is tyically treated as lower enlisted. Airborne, air assault, mountain warfare, etc...You don't get the perks of being an O until you raise that right hand.

Last edited:

FEARED

Established Member
cadets are nothing but cadets.. they have no authority and hold no rank, therfore are not higher than enlisted personel.

Users who are viewing this thread