Are these Magnaflows quieter than Bassani mufflers?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I have a 3" Bassani catback and with no cats my exhaust is just to loud. I can't start the car at night due to neighbors and the excessive noise is starting to bug me in daily cruise.

Space is tight in the car. I was going to try some traditional Magnaflow mufflers but they're 9" wide when you have a 3" exhaust and they won't fit without a bunch of cutting up and welding to the cat back which I'm not wanting to do.

So I found these round bullet style mufflers which I know are traditionally not the greatest for sound but they're 7" diameter and will fit in my car.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-14719

Has anyone used something like this? I know most guys go with 3 or 4" diameter bullets and the exhausts are loud. I imagine these are made for trucks and I'm hoping will pull the sound down some.

D-MANN

Established Member
Would you consider trying some resonators welded into your x pipe to take the bark out of the bassani mufflers?vibrant makes them in 2.5" & 3",12" & 18" long in both sizes

MalcolmV8

Established Member
You know I went that route on my old exhaust setup. Actually have a thread up showing folks how to get them in without welding on their Bassani X pipes

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...nators-without-welding-on-your-Bassani-X-pipe

While that definitely takes the rasp and high decibels out when you get get on the gas the idle and very low RPMs were not affected to much. My current problem is the car idles so loud and just pulling off the extra gas you give it is so loud. I can't even use a drive through for food for example. I have to shut the car off to order, pull forward and shut off so the next guy can order lol.

After doing more measuring and looking this 4x9 off set muffler would actually work with not to much effort.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-14329

I'd have off sets as the inputs and the center's as the outputs. I'd have to move my fuel lines up a bit and snug down better for the extra muffler body length and instead of welding on the Bassani cat back to get the mufflers installed I think I'll get some of these pipes that are swelled 3" OD to 3" ID

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-652277

Cut the end off the muffler and weld it on there and then let it slip fit into my catback and snug down with the clamps.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
BTW I called Magnaflow for their input and they said even the 7" round muffler is going to be quite a bit louder than the 4x9s.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
It will be loud lol. Bullet style mufflers flow well with the straight through design but there's not much noise suppression. The high compression with flat tops gives my engine a very different sound. Doesn't even sound like a terminator when you get on it. Very sharp type noise (hard to explain) and its loud. To loud lol. I'm sure the 3" exhaust and huge long tubes don't help.

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
That's the opposite of my experience. The 3" really quiets the car down with headers at idle and all throughout damn near. The 3" get LOUD under throttle though. Send me a pm with you're number I'll shoot you some pics of what the guy I bought my car from did on his 3" Bassani to quiet it down. I didn't like it and went to a Stinger Catback. Now it's loud! Lol

fireman02

Established Member
It's not the same comparison, but I just went from 2 1/2" magnaflow c-back to a bassani 2 1/2" c-back. The bassani is a little deeper and louder than the magnaflow, but not as much as I thought it was going to be. Also, I'm running a o/r upr x-pipe.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
It's not the same comparison, but I just went from 2 1/2" magnaflow c-back to a bassani 2 1/2" c-back. The bassani is a little deeper and louder than the magnaflow, but not as much as I thought it was going to be. Also, I'm running a o/r upr x-pipe.

What mufflers were in your Magnaflow catback? Bullet style or regular oval mufflers?

MagnaFlow

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
You should be able to fit one of our oval mufflers-the catback we offer for the SVT comes with 4x9x14" units. We offer them in different inlet/outlet offsets too, in case the pipe routing is limited.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
You should be able to fit one of our oval mufflers-the catback we offer for the SVT comes with 4x9x14" units. We offer them in different inlet/outlet offsets too, in case the pipe routing is limited.

Yeah I picked up a pair of the 4x9x14 Mufflers. Offset in / Center out. It looks like it will work but I have to cut the ends off because the butt up with my existing cat back instead of sliding in or over the pipe. I'll get new ends welded on and try them out shortly.

sicvnum

Established Member
I had bassani mufflers with an off-road bassani xpipe before I switched to a magnaflows oval muffler. The magnaflows did quiet the car down but does get loud when they open up. Quieter at lower rpms.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I had bassani mufflers with an off-road bassani xpipe before I switched to a magnaflows oval muffler. The magnaflows did quiet the car down but does get loud when they open up. Quieter at lower rpms.

If that's how my car works I'd be happy. Quite at idle and low RPMs is all I really want. Once it opens up loud is good lol.

Users who are viewing this thread