are these coolnt temps the norm

Snkbite04

Established Member
I just did my head cooling mod and I am seeing temps around 220 when it's 90 outside ...it seems to creep up as I am moveing and will go down as it sits ...I am lost HELP.....lol

ninty9cobra

Established Member
Did you purge the coolant system correctly? My brothers 03 has head mod with 170 thermostat and it sees 172 temp with 80 degree weather. Make sure all the air is out of system.

derekmac1989

Established Member
Mine barely gets up to 200 with the stock thermostat when it's 90 out . I just have the fans adjusted to come on sooner

Snkbite04

Established Member
I had a 170 t-stat and the head cooling mod and was getting temps at 210....thought the stat was sticking so I swapped it out for a new stock 180....even used a vac tool to suck out the air ..but still getting 220 temps ...weird thing is it can sit with the ac on and it runs cooler then when it's moveing

cj428mach

Established Member
It depends when your fans are set to come on. If you have a 170tstat but your fans are set at 220 then your car is going to be at 220 anytime you're not running down the road fast enough to get enough airflow through the radiator to cool it down. You're probably seeing cooler temps with the AC on because the fans come on with the AC.

I just did my head cooling mod and I am seeing temps around 220 when it's 90 outside ...it seems to creep up as I am moveing and will go down as it sits ...I am lost HELP.....lol

In NJ today we had 95F and humidity approaching 85%, at least where I live.

I have the Even Flow HC mod, Reische t-stat and was running my AC on the 3rd setting. This is over the course of a 60 min period, more or less.

In stop and go I was consistently seeing 217F.

Soon as I hit the highway with those (217F) coolant temps, they took about 2 minutes or so to get the temps down to between 194F - 197F.

The cooling mods make practical sense or at least make sense from the mechanical engineering standpoint. But the Reische t-stat needs to accompany it during the hot season, not for colder climates though.

These cars really need to have air flow, no matter what 'cooling mod' you do.

Woody6799

Established Member
Not sure if this helps you at all as I haven't done my head cooling mod yet, but I did my coolant today. Temps were 92 with ridiculous humidity. I have a 170 tstat and my fans kick on at 188* Once my temps hit that everything would cool back down to the 170 area. No ac and never moving. I did this for about 35 minutes or so to make sure I had the system burped completely.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
It depends when your fans are set to come on. If you have a 170tstat but your fans are set at 220 then your car is going to be at 220 anytime you're not running down the road fast enough to get enough airflow through the radiator to cool it down. You're probably seeing cooler temps with the AC on because the fans come on with the AC.
This

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
yet another reason to run E85 if you can. It takes my coolant temps so long to come up anywhere near 175 I thought for sure my gauge was broke! lol. nope

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Damn i really need that E85 then. I was driving my cobra out here a few weeks ago it was 100 degrees. I have the KC with my HE deleted so i gotta run my AC all the time. I was seeing 215-222 consistently. As soon as i turned my AC off for a few minutes it dropped down quick. Heat kills these cars!

Users who are viewing this thread