Votes: 32 88.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerky

Sum Sum Bling Bling
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
The problem is that most persons morality on this planet, this country included, is NOT based on a rational philosophy, it is based on some sort of supernatural belief or some varaition on the theme.

And what does rational philosophy say about morality?

C_Record

Established Member
Originally posted by Jerky
Are some things just wrong?
Based on ethical principles and absolute morality as we know it-whether one believes they're creations independent of human experiences(i.e. "higher authority") or of human invention-the answer would have to be yes. Sorry I can't chat more. I'm typing this and trying to finish my beer while doing about 65mph through a school zone on my way to a bible reading class at the retirement home.

03DOHC

Established Member
And what does rational philosophy say about morality?
There are tons of books written on the subject. I suggest starting here http://www.aynrand.org/.

Ethics
“Reason is man’s only proper judge of values and his only proper guide to action. The proper standard of ethics is: man’s survival qua man — i.e., that which is required by man’s nature for his survival as a rational being (not his momentary physical survival as a mindless brute). Rationality is man’s basic virtue, and his three fundamental values are: reason, purpose, self-esteem. Man — every man — is an end in himself, not a means to the ends of others; he must live for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to others nor sacrificing others to himself; he must work for his rational self-interest, with the achievement of his own happiness as the highest moral purpose of his life.” Thus Objectivism rejects any form of altruism — the claim that morality consists in living for others or for society.

From here-->http://www.aynrand.org/objectivism/essentials.html

Last edited:

Leadhead

Melodramatic Nihilist
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
There are tons of books written on the subject. I suggest starting here http://www.aynrand.org/.

Ethics
“Reason is man’s only proper judge of values and his only proper guide to action. The proper standard of ethics is: man’s survival qua man — i.e., that which is required by man’s nature for his survival as a rational being (not his momentary physical survival as a mindless brute). Rationality is man’s basic virtue, and his three fundamental values are: reason, purpose, self-esteem. Man — every man — is an end in himself, not a means to the ends of others; he must live for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to others nor sacrificing others to himself; he must work for his rational self-interest, with the achievement of his own happiness as the highest moral purpose of his life.” Thus Objectivism rejects any form of altruism — the claim that morality consists in living for others or for society.

From here--> [url]http://www.aynrand.org/objectivism/essentials.html[/url]

God is that the truth, the ironic thing is that she didn't follow her own advice and didn't end up so well.

Looking at the question in the most objective manner, there are no morals at all. They are created by people. I have manny of them however, they are unnecessary. In most cases, it ends up being the yin and yang a choice or action that is considered morally right by one or many will beget the effect of a bad consequence bestowed on someone else and vice versa. That is the reason that things seem ironic. EVERY choice or action that you make in life is going to have positive or negative effects and someone somewhere will view it as morally wrong or morally right. This is because reality is based ONLY on your perspective and therefore everyones reality is different.

So do what feels good and live, learn and enjoy both the good and the bad!
:beer:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Leadhead
God is that the truth, the ironic thing is that she didn't follow her own advice and didn't end up so well.
Don't know what that means, but it's off topic anyway.

Looking at the question in the most objective manner, there are no morals at all. They are created by people. I have manny of them however, they are unnecessary. In most cases, it ends up being the yin and yang a choice or action that is considered morally right by one or many will beget the effect of a bad consequence bestowed on someone else and vice versa. That is the reason that things seem ironic. EVERY choice or action that you make in life is going to have positive or negative effects and someone somewhere will view it as morally wrong or morally right. This is because reality is based ONLY on your perspective and therefore everyones reality is different.

So do what feels good and live, learn and enjoy both the good and the bad!
:beer:
That's an incorrect statement if it's based on being objective, but that's OK.

Jerky

Sum Sum Bling Bling
Established Member
03DOHC: Keeping it rollin :)

"An error of knowledge is not a moral flaw, provided you are willing to correct it; only a mystic would judge human beings by the standard of an impossible, automatic omniscience. But a breach of morality is the conscious choice of an action you know to be evil, or a willful evasion of knowledge, a suspension of sight and of thought. That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul."
--Ayn Rand

Q: Does it all come down to conscience?

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
nah......well, maybe. sometimes i think to myself "self, would my parents be ashamed to see me acting this way?" but, then i usually ignore that and do it anyway........

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
Is that why you are a "professional dumbass"? :)

yep! i quit a 42k a year job to own my own semi. i think that falls under professional dumbass, but not really a moral boundry issue.
seriously though, there have been some things i have done that i looked back on and decided that i probably shouldn't have done. but with age and a family those times are getting fewer and farther between. :beer:

Jerky

Sum Sum Bling Bling
Established Member
Originally posted by ezernut9mm
but with age and a family those times are getting fewer and farther between. :beer:

Isn't that maturity? :beer:

zzzzzer

Livin' Life Roush-less :(
Established Member
LOL @...
nah......well, maybe. sometimes i think to myself "self, would my parents be ashamed to see me acting this way?" but, then i usually ignore that and do it anyway........ - ezernut9mm
-and-
What prompted this? Who did you kill? - monkeyspunk79
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread