Are the valve covers on 96 - 01 Cobra's the same as 03/04 Cobra?

texas_snake

Established Member
Are the valve covers on 96 - 01 Cobra's the same as 03/04 Cobra? Are they interchangeable.

For example, will the oil cap be the same (screw in the same), pcv attach the same, holes are the same sizes and locations? thanks.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I know the 99/01 are the same. A buddy of mine is running my old 01 covers after he got them powder coated. I'm not sure about the 96-98 though.

boost88

Established Member
B head are different. They are designed for wires not cop I think they all interchange on the heads they just have different covers for cop and wires

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

03' White Snake

Established Member
Oil fill can be in a different location and the PCV holes too. I run Lincoln covers on my car….. oil is the same but PCV holes are in the back on both sides. Looks much cleaner IMO.

Like stated above, some B heads had COP and others had plug wires.

Here’s mine for reference. These are old covers but show the PCV holes are in the back.

Attachments

• 108E8A36-E511-443B-92D5-CEF00535F55E.jpeg
    108E8A36-E511-443B-92D5-CEF00535F55E.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 3019C6FC-EF68-4D4B-B38A-2C1D745ECA99.jpeg
    3019C6FC-EF68-4D4B-B38A-2C1D745ECA99.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 95

01yellercobra

Established Member
Thanks for the replies.

03' White Snake - Love your engine bay!​

So I guess this means things like the oil caps are interchangeable?
I pulled the oil cap off my 01 and put it on my 04. It's a billet piece I picked up a while ago so I didn't want to let it go. And I ran the valve covers like what 03' White Snake ran for a while as well.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Oil fill can be in a different location and the PCV holes too. I run Lincoln covers on my car….. oil is the same but PCV holes are in the back on both sides. Looks much cleaner IMO.

Like stated above, some B heads had COP and others had plug wires.

Here’s mine for reference. These are old covers but show the PCV holes are in the back.

Same covers I have but mine are . Too bad the breather holes can’t accept motion racing baffled cover attachment

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03' White Snake

Established Member
Quick question. Are your valve covers and coil covers hydro dipped? If so, does that hold up well over time. Thinking that might last better than powder coating if you need to do maintenance in the area (perhaps not chip, etc). Looks awesome.

Yes they are hydro dipped. I had them powder coated first, then I hydro dipped them and finished with a good quality clear coat.

They are as durable as the paint on your car. Would be very hard to chip the powder coat off, but you can chip the clear with a wrench or something if that makes sense. I had the white ones for 4 years or so then I changed them to a traditional CF pattern now. Been on there almost 2 yrs this way now.

8209553D-D024-4168-9B22-17CB258EF123.jpeg

MG0h3

Established Member
Yes they are hydro dipped. I had them powder coated first, then I hydro dipped them and finished with a good quality clear coat.

They are as durable as the paint on your car. Would be very hard to chip the powder coat off, but you can chip the clear with a wrench or something if that makes sense. I had the white ones for 4 years or so then I changed them to a traditional CF pattern now. Been on there almost 2 yrs this way now.

View attachment 1728114

Do you do the hydro dipping yourself?

Guessing a smooth powder coat job then dip?

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member

View attachment 1728114

Damn, loved the white with the hydro dip. But I can foresee a wipe down after every drive. I have to do that weekly with my orange
IMG_4828.JPG

This is a weeks worth of dust

texas_snake

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I love it when people take the time to build both a crazy fast and a car show winning car. Both of those engine bays are amazing. I am currently building a teksid forged internal setup for my son's Mach 1, so I have been looking around on getting ideas on how to clean up the engine bay and take the time to do it right.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Do you do the hydro dipping yourself?

Guessing a smooth powder coat job then dip?

Yes I do the Hydro Dipping myself. Yea smooth PC, not sure how it would adhere to a textured PC.

The CF pattern is hard because if you mess up, it is a lot of work to fix it. Other patterns you can blend and repair. It would be nearly impossible to get the CF lines to line back up. I do a bunch of practice parts before tackling the VC's. I've done them 3 times so far, but have had to redo them twice from bad dips.

Users who are viewing this thread