Are the MAC LTs I just put on going to hurt my new engine?

Keith 5.0

5.0 is the way to go
Established Member
I recently put a forged motor into my cobra, and added MAC LT's & a Prochamber. After reading up on the headers through this forum I realized they're probably pulling oil through the valve seals. Is this going to cause damage to my engine/ heads? I went through the ordeal of having to drop the tranny already, and after going through all the work of getting the LT off to drop it I decided I'd better bite the bullet and buy some better headers. Think I'll be OK to run these for a few months until I can afford better LT's?

I eventually plan to get a tubular K-member/ A-arms, which headers will give me the most clearance with the K-member and still allow me to pull the tranny with both LT's on? I'd prefer not to get Bassani Mid-Length's.

Which tubular K-member do people prefer :shrug:

Last edited:

venomboysvt

Established Member
I heard bad things form mac lts. If you are going to put them on ensure that they are clean as hell form the inside. Ive heard they might have alot of crap in them when they are shipped.

Keith 5.0

5.0 is the way to go
Established Member
I actually bought them used from someone on this forum. It looked as though he had cleaned them up a little before bringing them to me, and I washed them off before putting them on. Think that's good enough to "get by" until I can afford to put better headers on?

Another option is, I could put my FMS shorties back on, and get an off road h-pipe until I can afford better LT's if the MAC's are going to harm my new engine :shrug: I already have the LT's on, and have taken the car around the block a few times if that makes any difference :idea:

Last edited:

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Depends on how long they were used, but if they used for a while, they will most likely be ok, since the bad shit will have been sucked out of them.

The prevailing theory (backed up by evidence) is that Mac left some welding slag in the headers which got sucked in through the EGR and scored the cylinder walls, breaking the ring seal. If you aren't smoking like a freight train under load right now, then they will probably be ok. The people that had this kind of damage experienced it within the first 50 miles, IIRC. The people that had no (long term) problems with the headers were the ones who power-washed them out and/or blocked off their EGRs when they put them on.

As far as I know, pulling oil past the valve seals won't cause a problem with the seals -it's not good to burn oil, however.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
I would say you are looking around something like $300-400 for labor - 6-8 hours time. It is not difficult as in it takes a lot of know-how, just time-consuming.

CobraG

Established Member
Never mind, I just checked some prices on headers, over $700 for just the parts then you have to pay for the install

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Learn to do it yourself. Then you don't have to pay someone else.

Sure, it's a PITA when you are doing it, but I always feel good after I have finished the job.

CobraG

Established Member
lemosley01 said:
Learn to do it yourself. Then you don't have to pay someone else.

Sure, it's a PITA when you are doing it, but I always feel good after I have finished the job.

I would man, but with school and two small kids I don't have time. The wife and I did the JLT RAI at 9:30 on a Sunday night, took three hours, so I don't think LT's would go over very well :-D

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
CobraG said:
I would man, but with school and two small kids I don't have time. The wife and I did the JLT RAI at 9:30 on a Sunday night, took three hours, so I don't think LT's would go over very well :-D

:lol:

Yeah, I can see that.

I'm married, two kids (2 and 6) myself. Weekends are about it for me.

svtcobra2k1

Dead Crawlin...
Established Member
long tubes are just time consuming. I have done them 4 times now and each time the install gets easier and easier. At a shop your looking at about $400, which is a rough estimate. And if you do it yourself drop the k member, that will make things a lot easier for you.

CobraG

Established Member
If I had the know how I'd probably attempt it, but I'm afraid to start tearing into things or tearing things apart and not being able to get it back together.
Maybe if RioRed moves to the Springs I can get him to show me how to do some stuff ;-)

1999-COBRA-6661

[S]pecial[V]ehicle[T]eam
Established Member
Does removing the transmission make putting on LTs any easier? This winter I want to do LTs for sure and probably a T-56. I'll do it all at the same time if it would help.

99cobranix

Rice Eater
Established Member
Forget all the rumors bro, I had MAC LT's on and they engine took a crap on my 20ish mile ride home!!! I hope since they are used that you have better luck. All the slag should be out of them.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
1999-COBRA-6661 said:
Does removing the transmission make putting on LTs any easier? This winter I want to do LTs for sure and probably a T-56. I'll do it all at the same time if it would help.

No. They would be easier to get on, but then you can't get the transmission back on. Hookers and Flowtechs I think are the only headers you don't have to remove to pull the transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread