Are strut tower braces worth it?

Deathproof

Established Member
Are strut tower braces, front and rear, worth it?

I know a lot of people use them, but who noticed a difference. I have a 98 cobra, so I don't have the stock front brace. I plan on doing some open tracking this summer, should I get these, did anyone notice a difference. I have sportline springs, and will be getting good struts, along with subframe connectors, and most likely urethane bushings, X2 ball joints, shorter link pins and a bumpsteer kit. Not to mention I always roll on good tires, nothing above 200 treadwear. Any other good suspension mods for the money?

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Not necessary on the 98 they had a reinforced fire wall which is why Ford did away with them in 98. I took the one off my 97 vert one time and it was noticable but that thing was a banana lol. It probably couldn't hurt for road racing but my 98 felt great and got nice and stiff with just the subs. Just get a good pair made for the 98 kinda a pain with the tranny brace but worth it over all. Good luck.:banana:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
People will tell you that they notice no difference with one on versus off, and they're more than welcome to their opinion, I'm not going to tell them they're right or wrong. I will say though I had mine off for about a week one summer and I noticed a definite difference, and my car does have full-length subframes so its not like it felt sloppy just because of that.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
People will tell you that they notice no difference with one on versus off, and they're more than welcome to their opinion, I'm not going to tell them they're right or wrong. I will say though I had mine off for about a week one summer and I noticed a definite difference, and my car does have full-length subframes so its not like it felt sloppy just because of that.

+1

and street and road course are different.

Deathproof

Established Member
I'm gunna throw them on since I plan on doing some decent road coarsing this summer, thought I'd just see if it was widely know that they are a waste of money or something.

ARdoller

Established Member
strut tower braces arent just for racing. they force the struts to compress more evenly minimizing tire wear during both racing and street driving. even if you have a proper alignment, you may still be wearing out the inside of the tires more than the outside, which a strut tower brace will help correct that.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Not necessary on the 98 they had a reinforced fire wall which is why Ford did away with them in 98. I took the one off my 97 vert one time and it was noticable but that thing was a banana lol. It probably couldn't hurt for road racing but my 98 felt great and got nice and stiff with just the subs. Just get a good pair made for the 98 kinda a pain with the tranny brace but worth it over all. Good luck.:banana:

Not true.
Ford got rid of them to save weight and cost,
thanks to a-hole Jacques Nasser.
Ford called it a "shimmel bar".
It is definitely worth getting, and you will feel a nice improvement.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Got one on my '98. They are more important if you have coilovers than the stock suspension. Since the weight of the car lies on the springs, which sit farther inboard than the struts, the tower bar doesn't really do as much except keep the chassis from flexing. When you get coilovers, you put all of the weight of the front of the car on the strut mounted springs. This puts way more stress on the strut towers, which are higher and farther apart, meaning more flex in the chassis. The strut tower bar will keep the engine bay from flexing and keep the car feeling more solid.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
i put one on my 95, since the cobras didnt get them in the pushrod years. it snugged the nose of mine up. but after 10+ years on a vert chassis, they need a lil' help.

for what your gonna be doing, i would say get them.

Deathproof

Established Member
anyone use the ebay subframe connectors?

they look pretty good, and you can get powdercoated ones shipped for $70. Saves the extra $25 some companies charge for powdercoating.

jlg32281

Established Member
I don't have sub-frames yet, but I think any full length will give good results. It's just a piece of stock tubing, it's hard to screw up I think. I think the noticeable differences will be in how they are installed. Will your installer add some support to the boxes or add some cross bracing as well? As far as the actual sub-frame connector, they're just pieces of tubing, usually rectangular, bent to fit.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
I have the MM full length subframes. The car is pretty much a daily driver and the brace has been on and off several times while doing work to the car. Had it off for an extended period of time when I had the JLT intake. I could feel a major difference in cornering, I could literally feel the front of the car flexing and losing stability in a sharp corner. As well, it made alot more noise going over train tracks, etc. I say anything, including a roll cage, to stiffen up the chassis on this car is well worth it!

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
If anyone in the LA area wants one, hit me up, I'll let it go for cheap. I got it from a member on here who has a 96 cobra...and it's just sitting around collecting dust.

It does not fit with any of my stock or aftermarket CAI intake tubing.

...and YES it is a noticeable improvement over none at all. (I was running one when my car was a V6)

Last edited:

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
I'd say the front STB would only be worth if if you do tons of AX/Roadcoursing. If it's simply a sunday cruiser, it's not a big deal. You will be able to tell some diffrence if you're always pushing the car to it's limits tho.

Users who are viewing this thread