Are stock boss and stock gt clutches the same?

konabluekiller

Established Member
I'm pretty sure they are but I figured I'd ask. Got a free boss302 clutch that has 900 miles on it. With pressure plate and flywheel as well. I have 33k miles on my stock clutch with over 100 passes on sticky tires, a lot of street abuse, and about 10 bottles of spray have been put through it. Got the boss clutch from a friend for free since he went to a t56 magnum. Figured it would be a good swap since mine is probably getting close to retiring itself Lol. Question is, are they the same or different??

stang910

Established Member
The Boss clutch will be an upgrade over the GT clutch. Depending on when your car was built you might need the flywheel also. Early GT's only had 6 bolts for the pressure plate and the boss uses 9.

konabluekiller

Established Member
The Boss clutch will be an upgrade over the GT clutch. Depending on when your car was built you might need the flywheel also. Early GT's only had 6 bolts for the pressure plate and the boss uses 9.

I have the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel as a package that was just removed from the car. Does orielleys have those little plastic alignment tools?

From what I understand the boss pressure plate is better than the GT, especially at higher RPM shifts.

Awesome. Good to know man!

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Very informative post.... I bet a lot of thought went into that statement.

Lol I had the thread opened before the other posts and forgot to hit send reply. Yes, they're different. Different p/n and the boss clutch is supposed to have better release characteristics for the higher rpm range of the motor.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Sweet man... Good to hear. Will be a good free upgrade. Where do y'all get the alignment tool at??

It normally comes with aftermarket clutch, but since you're using ford replacement, I'm not sure where you'll get one. It's a 23 spline disk so that's what you'll need.

konabluekiller

Established Member
It normally comes with aftermarket clutch, but since you're using ford replacement, I'm not sure where you'll get one. It's a 23 spline disk so that's what you'll need.

OK cool. I used to be a tech at the local ford dealer. Maybe I can borrow one if they have it laying around. So the clutch should bolt right in my gt without modification right? Just making sure there's no weird differences...

stang8psi

Established Member
look up a doorman 23 tooth x 1in alignment tool.. they are also the same as early 4 cyl rangers also..I got mine from autozone for $2.50

Users who are viewing this thread