Are new truck prices really that bad?

SHOdown220

Established Member
I’ve said it many times before, new truck prices are insane. In fact all vehicles prices, new and used, are insane.

Last week my father in law gave me a beater truck to have around the house. 97 f-150 xlt regular cab 4wd with the 4.6 V8. I was digging through it and found the original window sticker. $25,215. Adjusted for inflation this is roughly 48 grand. So it begs the question, are new truck prices really that bad for what you get?

I still say yes

Attachments

• IMG_4743.jpeg
    IMG_4743.jpeg
    433.6 KB · Views: 135

q6543

Established Member
This is why I use the S&P 500 for market adjusted inflation measures.

That 25.2K market adjusts to $120K in todays dollars… and you get a superior vehicle for that kind of money!

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
Look at sxs. New top of the line turbo can am maverick is going for 43k. Ludicrously stupid.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

SHOdown220

Established Member
Look at sxs. New top of the line turbo can am maverick is going for 43k. Ludicrously stupid.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Yeah a guy at my work recently sold his cbr and picked up a sxs since they made them legal for roadways here. I thought about selling my bike and picking one up but they are ridiculous

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
This is why I use the S&P 500 for market adjusted inflation measures.

That 25.2K market adjusts to $120K in todays dollars… and you get a superior vehicle for that kind of money!

That's relative and bs.

Fifty five years ago you spent $700 for the top of the line 25" color television.
Today you can buy a 55" Smart TV for $350 with internet connectivity, clarity, and features that weren't even talked about on Star Trek - lol.

Vehicles have been the opposite, for the most part. Amazing advancements in every factor you can think of. Reliability, safety, creature features, maintenance.
But you'll feel every penny of those advancements.

Looks is the area where todays vehicles truly suck versus 55 years ago.

Dusten

Established Member
A lot of people complaining about the price vs the old days forget just how much more goes into new trucks.

Suspension, brakes, technology, safety.

Is it needed in a truck? Well that's another debate.

But when I bought a new super duty in 2017 for 75k the fact it did everything my Tahoe did, and towed everything I could imagine made the sticker worth it.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Toyota 5 years ago said if truck prices ever go past $70,000 then it would collapse this is why the Japanese never abandoned the car market and are still making them. So in my opinion the market is long long over due for a major correction. The big 3 are about to revisit the late 70's all over again and with no cheap or quick answers to it. But this is what you get when you put your eggs all in one basket.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
My 98 Cherokee daily was 33,000 Canadian Pesos, in 98. For some reason, IMO cars or trucks that have been manufactured recently will not be on the road in 2042. That 2017 will have obsolescence built in, Some mechanical or most likely an electrical component will be it's downfall. Again, just my take on things.

So you used to pay for things you need. Reliably, ease of maintenance, and parts available. Now you have a couch and an entertainment system, with a steering wheel. I digress, I guess its personal preference. Things have been made recently are meant to be thrown away after use. No room for rebuild or some small components will take out much larger system. Odd times for sure.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The deals are out there, but if you insist on color or trim, gonna cost you.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
I was looking at getting a regular cab short bed F150 with the coyote for a daily and couldn't believe how expensive they were. I figured it would be 30K max but their pretty much the same as a extended cab or crew cab truck.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I was looking at getting a regular cab short bed F150 with the coyote for a daily and couldn't believe how expensive they were. I figured it would be 30K max but their pretty much the same as a extended cab or crew cab truck.

Looks like 38k is as close as you get to 30k in a V8/4x4 around here.

1705431992558.png

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
That's relative and bs.

Fifty five years ago you spent $700 for the top of the line 25" color television.
Today you can buy a 55" Smart TV for $350 with internet connectivity, clarity, and features that weren't even talked about on Star Trek - lol.

Vehicles have been the opposite, for the most part. Amazing advancements in every factor you can think of. Reliability, safety, creature features, maintenance.
But you'll feel every penny of those advancements.

Looks is the area where todays vehicles truly suck versus 55 years ago.
The issue I have is how there are things you might not want but are forced to get in the vehicle or things you do want but aren't available until higher packages.

Buying a 25" tv fifty-five years ago you'd be paying even more than $700 IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread