Are headers worth it?

clc44

Established Member
Listen to this guy. Its almost like we know what we're talking about! :) haha

Dude get outta here with your LOGIC.

Headers provide gains as long as chosen correctly for the application.

Headers WILL provide HP gains

Headers WILL provide TQ gains.

Period. No ifs. No ands. No Buts. Period.

Of course if I put a 2" header with a 4" collector on my car it wont be efficient, that's why you have to know what you're doing when building a car. To say headers do not provide torque or hp gains is ludicrous, and false.

Yes sir!! I'll get numbers soon. Just got a laptop, now I can data log the car.

noldevin

Established Member
Not true. If u reduce back pressure in the Coyote motor with larger pipes your power band will shift up the rpm range which sucks big time for casual driving.Period.

Ugh back pressure. gtfo with your back pressure. Back pressure being good is a myth.
You want as close to zero back pressure as possible while still having small enough pipes to create a scavenging effect. If you accomplish this you will gain low end torque and power across the power band.

Flcracker

Established Member
Get you some headers man. Listen to noldevin. He sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Good luck.

Last edited:

jn2

Established Member
I have dyno sheets showing the gains on both before/after headers and I gained torque, a lot of it.

Ported CJ, SCJ TB, Intake, Lethal O/R H-Pipe, Stingers, 93 Octane.

421 RWHP / 367 RWTQ

Ported CJ, SCJ TB, Intake, Kooks 1-3/4" LT's, Kooks 3" O/R H-Pipe, Stingers, 93 Octane

443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ

Headers are certainly worth it, not just for the sound, but, for the gains as well.

:rollseyes

Hope I get similar gains. I just ordered a set of Speedmaster headers to replace the stockers, will see how thing go.

clc44

Established Member
If they rub the steering shaft at all just put a couple washers under the motor mounts. This will give it plenty of clearance and it will not rub.

jn2

Established Member
If they rub the steering shaft at all just put a couple washers under the motor mounts. This will give it plenty of clearance and it will not rub.

Yeah I figured I'd shim the mount or just beat the pipe with a mallet.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Hope I get similar gains. I just ordered a set of Speedmaster headers to replace the stockers, will see how thing go.

I make good power through my speedmasters, 466rwhp on 91 oct on motor.

KushBandit

Established Member
What mid pipes are you guys using for the speedmaster headers? Im picking up a set and am wondering if I'm gonna have to hack and weld my Pypes H-pipe.

jn2

Established Member
What mid pipes are you guys using for the speedmaster headers? Im picking up a set and am wondering if I'm gonna have to hack and weld my Pypes H-pipe.

I literally just got done checking out my car and comparing lengths based on pics of where the speedmasters line up on the chassis. They come 2" short of lining up with the first bolt on the Lower Tranny mount. Based on that and from mocking my stock H pipe I determined the following...

It looks like the stock H pipe or any stock H pipe replacement will work with these headers. You will have to play with the length by extending or contacting the clamps at the over axle to make sure your tips don't stick out too much. Worst case, you can cut 2" off the back(over axle side) of your Pype's H pipe and get a little more play while still being able to hook up to the stock over axle.

I currently have a magnaflow 3" catted X pipe, the X section has slightly longer straight than the stock one so I will cut off a few inches off the back(over axle side) and make the front work by slipping in a socket flange that will mate to the speedaster headers.. Here is how I plan on doing it:

13501798_1057303081023157_6971450007490379813_n_zps1hsinjle.jpg

Last edited:

clc44

Established Member
Yeah I figured I'd shim the mount or just beat the pipe with a mallet.

I couldn't make myself beat the header in. Washers will be the way to go. Good luck!

Also, I feel the factory kid would work. May take a little messing with.

jn2

Established Member
I couldn't make myself beat the header in. Washers will be the way to go. Good luck!

Also, I feel the factory kid would work. May take a little messing with.

I was under the car last night and used a few of the pics floating around the forum to kind of eye ball everything. The stock one works, but it may push the tips out a few inches, so cutting a few inches off the back will allow it to still connect to overall and not push your tips out.

clc44

Established Member
Yeah, it shouldn't be too bad! Search my old thread about the headers. Someone mentioned good information about the o2 sensor wires. One wouldn't reach, o think you go around the back side of the engine.

jn2

Established Member
Yeah, it shouldn't be too bad! Search my old thread about the headers. Someone mentioned good information about the o2 sensor wires. One wouldn't reach, o think you go around the back side of the engine.

The front 02's should reach if you unclip them, there is a xmas tree pin holding them on behind the intake manifold, take those off and you should get the necessary length to reach. As far as the rea 02's I'm not hooking those back on, going to just turn them off in my tune.

Users who are viewing this thread