Are headers worth it?

FireRescue42

I have a 2014 Mustang GT 5.0. I have a AirRaid synthaflow CAI on it. I am trying to find some ways to make my car faster all around without going supercharger route. I am curious if getting long tube headers are worth the money to buy? Do they give enough power for the amount of money they require. Or is there a different option I should be going for. Any advice would be great.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
A cat delete is much more bang-for-$$$, but longtubes sound awesome and do make more power.

FireRescue42

if there is other topics stating this im only finding ones comparing long tube to short tube or else I wouldnt have asked. So I am wanting to get others opinions before I shell out a ton of money on something that isnt completly worth it.

Last edited:

PC03GT

Established Member
These car's love to breathe. If you're doing bolt ons or going to do a supercharger get headers

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
It is one part of the grander scheme type of scenario.
a stepping stone product.
A ton of good and bad data out there.
A set of quality headers will offer that great tuned sound and performance
I can tell you it is a get what you pay for product.
the header for a all effort N/A combo is not going to be a bolt on mass market part.
something like a tri y double step with a fire cone merge collector
as well as the correct header for a superchaged combo(generally larger than you would think you need depending on the combo of course)
we offer shelf and custom headers through quality U.S. manufactures.

Texas01GT

Established Member
In my opinion buying longtubes brand new and installing them isn't worth the money for the gains NA. I have longtubes but that's only because I got them used for a ridiculously good price. Other than that they weren't even on my radar

96gt02

Established Member
Another vote for no, especially if you cant install them yourself

kdaly

Established Member
1000's of threads on this topic. Search.

The search function is broken on this forum.

I like mine. I got the best and still was hard to notice the gains and I installed the K Member at the same time. Love the sound tho but it was an expensive venture for sure. $2500 installed. See if you can pick up some used ones on Facebook or the Market on here. You do get what you paid for. I'd go Kooks or ARH.

DaBigBone

Established Member
No. Unless you're going for a max effort NA build, just do an offroad midpipe and call it a day

Zemedici

Established Member
It is one part of the grander scheme type of scenario.
a stepping stone product.
A ton of good and bad data out there.
A set of quality headers will offer that great tuned sound and performance
I can tell you it is a get what you pay for product.
the header for a all effort N/A combo is not going to be a bolt on mass market part.
something like a tri y double step with a fire cone merge collector
as well as the correct header for a superchaged combo(generally larger than you would think you need depending on the combo of course)
we offer shelf and custom headers through quality U.S. manufactures.

Listen to this. Very wise post.

The search function is broken on this forum.

I like mine. I got the best and still was hard to notice the gains and I installed the K Member at the same time. Love the sound tho but it was an expensive venture for sure. $2500 installed. See if you can pick up some used ones on Facebook or the Market on here. You do get what you paid for. I'd go Kooks or ARH.

Bingo. You get what you pay for. As long as you stay away from junk they are Guaranteed Sound, torque gains, and horsepower gains - they're Efficient , expect to pay for them. But very other mods NA give you the gains headers do on coyotes, save an IM

Regardless N/A or FI, do it and don't look back. Well worth the money.

Last edited:

clc44

Established Member
I went the budget route. I couldve skipped out on the JPC ota pipes that have been a slight pain. Sound alone is worth it. Just bought a lap top, going to data log. Then I'll update tune and get it back on the dyno. Find used or do what I did. Speedmaster SS and Pypes off road mid.

Flcracker

Established Member
Not true. If u reduce back pressure in the Coyote motor with larger pipes your power band will shift up the rpm range which sucks big time for casual driving.Period.

Last edited:

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Not true. If u reduce back pressure in the Coyote motor with larger pipes your power band will shift up the rpm range which sucks big time for casual driving.Period.

Not worth it. U will lose low-end torque too.

I have dyno sheets showing the gains on both before/after headers and I gained torque, a lot of it.

Ported CJ, SCJ TB, Intake, Lethal O/R H-Pipe, Stingers, 93 Octane.

421 RWHP / 367 RWTQ

Ported CJ, SCJ TB, Intake, Kooks 1-3/4" LT's, Kooks 3" O/R H-Pipe, Stingers, 93 Octane

443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ

Headers are certainly worth it, not just for the sound, but, for the gains as well.

:rollseyes

Zemedici

Established Member
I casual drive my car 95% of the time and noticed no lose down low. Just a pure sexy sound!!

Listen to this guy. Its almost like we know what we're talking about! :) haha

I have dyno sheets showing the gains on both before/after headers and I gained torque, a lot of it.

Ported CJ, SCJ TB, Intake, Lethal O/R H-Pipe, Stingers, 93 Octane.

421 RWHP / 367 RWTQ

Ported CJ, SCJ TB, Intake, Kooks 1-3/4" LT's, Kooks 3" O/R H-Pipe, Stingers, 93 Octane

443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ

Headers are certainly worth it, not just for the sound, but, for the gains as well.

:rollseyes

Dude get outta here with your LOGIC.

Headers provide gains as long as chosen correctly for the application.

Headers WILL provide HP gains

Headers WILL provide TQ gains.

Period. No ifs. No ands. No Buts. Period.

Of course if I put a 2" header with a 4" collector on my car it wont be efficient, that's why you have to know what you're doing when building a car. To say headers do not provide torque or hp gains is ludicrous, and false.

Users who are viewing this thread